Bluemour Melting Pot XXVIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tigers in 2016 had made finals 3 of the 4 years prior
Cats in 2006 made a prelim the year before (missed GF by a kick)
Saints in 2009, were runners up??
Port similarly proven finalists over last 5 years.

Carlton haven't finished in the 8 for 10 years now.

And over the last 20 years we have competed in the finals 4 times for a total of 2 wins.

So why are you trying to compare us to the above teams? There is no similarity to be drawn.

Supporters have every right to be demanding better. Easily we have more right to be upset than any of the example teams you use above

Saints of 2019 not 2009. Did you pick them to make finals last year then fall out this year?

Demons, did you pick them top 2 this year?

Port misses finals for 2 years then makes it for 2 years, then rinse and repeat. The belief for many years were that they are front runners/down hill skiers

Tigers, lost every final they made, comfortably, sometimes there isn't much difference between 8th and 10th. Did you pick them to win a flag in 2017, and win 3 of the next 4? You and I have covered this already, do you think I would forget the next 10 times we discuss it?

That has nothing to do with my post.

And again, all these clickbait terminologies. Losing culture, soft underbelly, poorly ingrained, etc

I mean, these were the same clickbait terms people were using about the Demons last year, Tigers of 2016, Cats in 2006, Saints 2009, Port 2 odd years ago.

The reasons they are used, is because people can't articulate the real reasons or analysis factually

So they use "the vibe"
Winning culture from mouthes of ex players 1965 to 2001.
"We were scared to lose" because we would be trained so hard
" We trained harder than any other side"
"We were mentored by premiership players from the moment we walked into the club"
" We loved each other, lived in each others pockets but there were standards, we stood no fools"
" My fearless attack on the ball was born out of the fact the other players had my back"
"The media made out that we were piss heads. Sure we drank but we talked shop...it was match review"

Saints of 2019 not 2009. Did you pick them to make finals last year then fall out this year?

Demons, did you pick them top 2 this year?

Port misses finals for 2 years then makes it for 2 years, then rinse and repeat. The belief for many years were that they are front runners/down hill skiers

Tigers, lost every final they made, comfortably, sometimes there isn't much difference between 8th and 10th. Did you pick them to win a flag in 2017, and win 3 of the next 4? You and I have covered this already, do you think I would forget the next 10 times we discuss it?
Again, none of the examples you are using are remotely similar to ours.

I saw that, I reckon his job in that situation was to cover the break back into the corridor by Port. He paced himself to stay level with the Port ball carrier. He goes racing off after his opponent, and they could have switched the run through the corridor and overlapped our defence on the near side of the ground, but because he was there, they had to keep going forward along the wing. You do realise that is usually how teams break us down when we're trying to transition along the wing. They keep 1-2 players running in between the boundary and the centre square, and their defence closes down the inside-50 path along the flanks.

Did you notice that in that particular passage, Port had a number of players with no one near them until they got to the wing when we actually had players running to that flank to try and pick up the players who had got away from their Carlton opponents.

I must admit Dramoth - you sound like you analysed the play better than I did and seems like I was a bit harsh on O'Brien. Obviously hard to know what instructions they are given. In that moment it just seemed to me he was 'drifting' along.

Winning culture from mouthes of ex players 1965 to 2001.
"We were scared to lose" because we would be trained so hard
" We trained harder than any other side"
"We were mentored by premiership players from the moment we walked into the club"
" We loved each other, lived in each others pockets but there were standards, we stood no fools"
" My fearless attack on the ball was born out of the fact the other players had my back"
"The media made out that we were piss heads. Sure we drank but we talked shop...it was match review"

An era that coincided with us being able to buy the best players pre salary cap.

How would the players know they trained harder than players at other clubs? If that was the case we would have won every flag

Ever club had piss heads in those days

And please, mentored by premiership players. How did Voss, Hird, Leppa, Watson go as coaching mentors?

How did Bevo, Clarko, ever win flags?

You still can't see the commonality of what success looks like

I must admit Dramoth - you sound like you analysed the play better than I did and seems like I was a bit harsh on O'Brien. Obviously hard to know what instructions they are given. In that moment it just seemed to me he was 'drifting' along.
I've watched teams do that to our senior side too many times not to recognise it when we attempted to do it. Admittedly, it did look like he was cruising there, but then it was like a light bulb moment. That's what he was doing. Covering the corridor. It would have looked a lot more obvious if one of his team mates had crossed over to pick up LOBs direct opponant. I think that it is still a work in progress because it did look sloppy.

So anybody with a contrary view to yours is just guilty of clickbait terminology?

See, not sure why you have now shifted sentiment, but I suspect, like usual it is around being unable to embrace the facts.

As per my original post on the matter, I am happy to discuss each club, to refute the validity of these click bait terminologies

Shall we do it alphabetically?

An era that coincided with us being able to buy the best players pre salary cap.

How would the players know they trained harder than players at other clubs? If that was the case we would have won every flag

Ever club had piss heads in those days

And please, mentored by premiership players. How did Voss, Hird, Leppa, Watson go as coaching mentors?

How did Bevo, Clarko, ever win flags?

You still can't see the commonality of what success looks like
If Buckley Maclure Rhys-Jones or Buzz say so than it is the TRUTH

I'm sorry but when did our season "look so promising"? Was it half time in the Richmond game?

Because I knew at half time of the Pies game that our season was cooked. I really did

Can you tell us who plays off in the GF

Before the start of next year, could you name the finishing position of each team

Can you tell us who plays off in the GF

Before the start of next year, could you name the finishing position of each team

Bugger that, I just want Saturday's lotto numbers if he's that good ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That has nothing to do with my post.

And again, all these clickbait terminologies. Losing culture, soft underbelly, poorly ingrained, etc

I mean, these were the same clickbait terms people were using about the Demons last year, Tigers of 2016, Cats in 2006, Saints 2009, Port 2 odd years ago.

The reasons they are used, is because people can't articulate the real reasons or analysis factually

So they use "the vibe"

If culture is too much of a buzzword, use 'standards' instead. Our players have s**t standards and no real belief - not sure how this is contentious.

If culture is too much of a buzzword, use 'standards' instead. Our players have sh*t standards and no real belief - not sure how this is contentious.

Use what ever word you like and at this current point it isn't contentious, but all I was highlighting is how wrong the assumptions are around how quickly things can change, hence using other sides as examples

Can you say St Kilda or Melbourne. Two generations of supporters for both clubs haven't seen a premiership cup. Footscray used to be the longest gap since winning a grand final. I think the Aint's and the Dees supporters would love to have won a grand final as recently as 25 years ago.

Are you serious? The Carlton football club should be Satisfied with winning a premiership a 1/4 of a century ago. There lies the problem, you accept mediocrity and that’s what you become- mediocre.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We went without a premiership between 1915-1938, then again from 1945-68,
this isn't a first that we're experiencing this sort of thing yet we survived and have still won the most Premierships.

It's infuriating and frustrating, it's no fun for anyone associated with the club but at some point, it will turn around, that's what keeps us supporting the club. It's not accepting mediocrity, it's love of the Club and holding on to some hope that it will get better.

Nobody is happy with participation but right at this point in time, what would you suggest that supporters do? Withdraw any support from the club and watch it die?

Would you expect someone to go back again and again to a restaurant that serves s**t? We need to ask why this has happened for so long? If you sincerely believe that things will change if you just maintain hope then that’s plain being foolish.

Are you serious? The Carlton football club should be Satisfied with winning a premiership a 1/4 of a century ago. There lies the problem, you accept mediocrity and that’s what you become- mediocre.

Where was he accepting mediocrity?

Comparing the differences in the length of time clubs have won flags isn't accepting mediocrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back