Bob Hawke Has Died

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, there's just donkeys and lunatics on the LNP side of politics nowadays.
Stealing from the opposition is their only salvation.

Hawke was the PM that Turnbull wanted to be. But Turnbull was nowhere near Hawke's league. Even when Hawke was dumped he acted with dignity and kept his anger and disappointment to himself.

Vale Bob Hawke.

He was a great union leader, a principled politician, and a brilliant statesmen. Unlike 99% of politicians, his 'common touch' wasn't faked. And despite his popularity he wasn't a populist —he was was capable of arguing, or 'selling', serious reforms. Probably the only PM in my lifetime who people respected even when they didn't agree with him.

Cheers, Bob.

and fwiw, pleased to see he and Keating put their affairs in order before he went.

I had the day off.
So did all my mates.
Not just because Bob Hawke said anything.
Most of Australia stayed up to watch the final race of the Americas cup on TV.
I think the winning gun went off at 5.00 am.
Not many were going to work in any event.
It was THE biggest national sporting victory for many years.

Parent waking child for school - " We won the Americas cup !! "
Child - " Cool , what's the Americas cup ? "

A conversation a few million Aussies had that morning.

People use this quote from Australia winning the America Cup to highlight what a great bloke he was. While that may be true, it was never something I needed to hear from my Prime Minister.

For the good he did, those words were a disgrace. As someone who was 14 at the time with virtually no interest in politics, they were my thoughts, it just didn't seem right to me. It was basically condoning people dogging their work mates and their bosses / business owners.
Found the grub.

Parent waking child for school - " We won the Americas cup !! "
Child - " Cool , what's the Americas cup ? "

A conversation a few million Aussies had that morning.

Dude!

That literally happened to me and my brother. Primary school age. My mum woke us up at like 5am in Victoria with 'We won the Americas cup!'

We were like... we won the what?

Nek minute we were in the lounge room and I saw the now famous interview first hand on the telly.

Full credit to ScoMo, that's classy.

Also forgot about a lot of these achievements:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-16/bob-hawke-legacy-nine-things-he-got-done-in-office/6514794

Floating the dollar, Medicare, Franklin Dam, Prices and Incomes Accord, Advance Australia Fair, green and gold, Sex Discrimination Act...

Don't think there are many modern PMs that rival that list.
Also helped in the fight against Apartheid and supported the first global action by the UN against climate change.

Abbott is living rent free in your head.
Hopefully
Vale Bob Hawke.

He was a great union leader, a principled politician, and a brilliant statesmen. Unlike 99% of politicians, his 'common touch' wasn't faked. And despite his popularity he wasn't a populist —he was was capable of arguing, or 'selling', serious reforms. Probably the only PM in my lifetime who people respected even when they didn't agree with him.

Cheers, Bob.

and fwiw, pleased to see he and Keating put their affairs in order before he went.
I can't agree more.
They made a great team.

I still can't believe Australians stayed up to watch a ... yacht race. There really was nothing to do in the 80s.
It was beating the Yanks for one, but more than that Dennis Connor was ...THE...most arrogant arsehat ever born and (in those days) 12 million Aussies wanted to see him get beaten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still can't believe Australians stayed up to watch a ... yacht race. There really was nothing to do in the 80s.
It's the equivalent of a US team coming to Australia and beating an Australian team in the AFL Grand Final.
No-one thought it possible, especially the Americans.

My kids did.
You must have been a poor businessman.
I had my own business and a new mortgage and we survived. We had a 19% interest rate for a few years , never under 13.5%, but the difference was that houses were affordable, land was a third of the total cost, not 3/4 as is now due to the Howard Government.
What hurt most people was when they bailed out the banks at the cost of the customers.

Vale Bob. Our Greatest ever leader, politician, and PM. A man of vision and compassion, he used his remarkable gifts to make his fellow Australians lives better in every way he could.

The epitome of what it means to be an Australian; a sporting man with larrikin wit, joie de vivre, positivism, joy, looking out for his mates - the whole nation were his mates. Vast horizons, not niggardly, and small minded, and mean spirited in the race to the bottom. Leadership through inspiration, not fear. He turned the psyche of the nation and set the scene for the next 30 years.

From his time as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, studying industrial law and setting yard glass records, through his time as lead advocate for the ACTU winning case after case at the old Arbitration commission, improving wages and working conditions for millions of Australians, his television debates with Mal Fraser and other notable political opponents, where his sparkling wit and scathing turn of phrase coupled with a gigantic intellect proved too much for any of them.
To his 8 years as Australia's PM. A man of vision, who brought together unions, business groups, the left and the right in a series of summits to heal wounds and set a positive course for the future of Australia.

The PM who gave us our greatest ever social reform - Medicare. The man who fought the winning fight for a living wage. The man who changed Australia's focus from Europe to the Asia Pacific

The PM with the the courage to face the future and along with his extremely capable deputy and treasurer, the great PJ Keating, make decisions which floated the dollar, abolished tariffs, opened trade with Asian nations, particularly China which set Australia on course for the 3 decades of economic prosperity we have enjoyed.

The man who had the raw emotion, humanity and honesty to cry on television at the plight and courage of the lone Chinese citizen defying the tanks in Tiananmen square.

He has no peer in Australian political life, none who brought about such positive change, not for personal gain, but truly for the Common Wealth of his fellow citizens. He walked with paupers and Kings, and treated them just the same. There has never been anyone like him. Those who followed in his shadow were by comparison either tiny men with small agenda's and personal gain as a motivation, or those driven by the politics of greed and fear. Bob had no truck with greed and fear.

Australia and the world is a far far better place because of your deeds Bob, and a far far sadder and poorer one for your passing. Vale once more.

We should all Skoll a beer in his honour on election day, and every May 16 for ever more.

Last edited:
The best tribute so far from our next PM.

“Every Australian carries a monument to Bob Hawke with them, their Medicare card. A green-and-gold promise that the health of any one of us, matters to all of us."

He was a transformative PM. Modernised the economy. Strengthened our ties with Asia. Provided aid for Landcare. Gave us Medicare. A genuine fighter for workers. And loathed racism.

Somehow doubt even he thought he'd make 89 due to his lifestyle.

A life well lived.

The best tribute so far from our next PM.

He was a transformative PM. Modernised the economy. Strengthened our ties with Asia. Provided aid for Landcare. Gave us Medicare. A genuine fighter for workers. And loathed racism.

Somehow doubt even he thought he'd make 89 due to his lifestyle.

A life well lived.

Seeing Barrie that upset got ME upset.

Snake. Hopefully only 2 more days of this idiot living off the public purse.

Could it be, should it be that the Mad Monk in this latest example of just what a s**t stain he is, may have signed his own death warrant and the good burghers of Wharringa finally wake up to what a slime and a douch bag this man is, and end his tenure?

Our worst ever PM eulogises about our best and shows the gap.

The difference between an ex Liberal PM with a soul and one who is an a-hole.

o0JKJBe.jpg

On Grand Final day 1983, if I remember correctly, they had a live feed to Rhode Island on the big screen at the MCG the day before (it might have been) Race 7. The entire MCG, except for me, began chanting "Australia II we're with you" or something like that. I think I quietly whispered "Australia II piss on you." (Sorry.) The noise was immense. Good times.

Well played indeed.:thumbsu:

He should also be remembered for this. When he came to office in 1983 Australia had a school retention rate of just 30 per cent, one of the lowest in the developed world. When he left office eight years later that retention rate was 70 per cent.

Just imagine how that alone changed the economy and the country.

To me though he was as John Singleton once described him — an intellectual knockabout; just as at ease with world leaders as he was with punters at the races.

He was as Aussie as they come. He was so genuinely comfortable with people, and them with him.

Well played, Bob.

BARRIE CASSIDY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back