Player Watch Box Hill Coach: Barry Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell to coach Box Hill Hawks
4:46 PM Tue 16 October, 2007 | Back

for hawthornfc.com.au

News
The Hawthorn Football Club and Box Hill Hawks have appointed former Sydney Swans champion Barry Mitchell as senior coach of the Box Hill Hawks for the 2008 VFL season.

On his appointment, Mitchell also joins the Hawthorn coaching panel and will play an important role in the continued development of the Hawks’ young list.

Mitchell, 42, replaces Damien Christensen who did not seek reappointment after two seasons at the helm. Mitchell arrives at Box Hill City Oval with strong playing and coaching experience.

After retiring from AFL football as a player in 1996, Mitchell most recently was Assistant Coach at Carlton from 2003-2007 and held the senior coaching role at Northern Bullants (Carlton’s VFL affiliate) for the last four seasons.

Mitchell was delighted to be appointed to the top job at the Box Hill Hawks and is looking forward to not only helping return success to Box Hill, but in developing a promising group of youngsters from both his VFL squad and the Hawthorn list.

“I’ve spoken with Clarko (Alastair Clarkson) and the football department and met with the Box Hill Hawks President (John Ure.) I understand it’s a dual role servicing the needs of both clubs as best as I can and I will be judged on my ability to gel the Box Hill guys with the Hawthorn players.

“I’m looking forward to helping developing some kids for Hawthorn and bring some success to Box Hill. That’s the name of the game,” Mitchell said.

Box Hill Hawks President John Ure was delighted with the appointment.

“Obviously we are thrilled to attract a proven and experienced coach like Barry Mitchell,” Ure said.

“He has a proven ability to coach successfully in an aligned VFL Club environment and we believe he is the right man to lead our Club back into Finals contention.”

Barry Mitchell fact file
Mitchell played 221 AFL games with Sydney Swans (170), Collingwood (6) and Carlton (38) between 1984-96, winning the Swans’ Bob Skilton Medal for Best & Fairest player in 1991, as well as the E.J. Whitten Medal and All Australian selection in the same year.

Following retiring from AFL football as a player in 1996, Mitchell most recently was Senior Coach at the Northern Bullants (Carlton’s VFL affiliate) for the last four seasons and a Carlton Assistant Coach.

Hawks' Barry Mitchell becomes Dockers' assistant coach

October 11, 2008 12:12pm

Fremantle has finalised its key coaching appointments with the announcement that Hawthorn's Barry Mitchell has been appointed assistant coach (midfield). The ex-Hawk was a member of Hawthorn’s 2008 premiership winning coaching panel.

Mitchell, who played 221 AFL games with Sydney, Carlton and Collingwood, was assistant coach at Carlton for five seasons (2003-2007) before being appointed coach of Hawthorn’s VFL team, the Box Hill Hawks in 2008. Mitchell had previously coached the Northern Bullants in the VFL.

Fremantle chief executive officer Steve Rosich said he was pleased that the club had finalised its key coaching appointments well in advance of pre-season training.

“Barry is an experienced coach who has enhanced his coaching credentials by being part of a premiership winning club,” Rosich said.

“He had a long and distinguished playing career as a midfielder and is ideally suited to the role of assistant coach (midfield) at Fremantle.”

Mitchell, 42, said after coaching in the VFL for the past four years he was relishing the prospect of returning to coaching at the elite level.

“I’m looking forward to devoting all my energies to an AFL team and doing all I can at Fremantle to help further develop what is obviously going to be a young list,” he said.

“I’ve been working with younger players for the past five or six years, so I’m really excited about working with the younger guys at Fremantle and, hopefully, starting to climb up the ladder.”

While the majority of his coaching career was at Carlton, Mitchell said his one-year tenure on the coaching panel at Hawthorn had been a valuable experience.

“Hawthorn’s premiership has been built over the past four years,” he said.

“They went for a youth policy and developed a game plan and a strategy which has come to fruition.

“It’s not only the way they play and stick to their game plan, it’s also how they conduct themselves off the field and the discipline they adhere to.

“I know some of those things are already in place at Fremantle, so I’m looking forward to adding to that.”

Fremantle’s coaching panel:
Mark Harvey, senior coach
Barry Mitchell, assistant coach
Todd Curley, assistant coach
Dean Wallis, assistant coach
Chris Scott, assistant coach

From the Box Hill FC website

Mitchell heads West

Sunday, 12 October 2008

Senior Coach Barry Mitchell has accepted a position at Fremantle Football Club as an assistant coach.

Mitchell, who was only in the helm for 12 months, helped turn the club's fortunes around after a disastrous 0-9 start to the season. He was also responsible for the development of some of the Hawks younger crop who pushed for selection in Hawthorn's 2008 premiership team.

The management and Board of Box Hill will work inconjunction with the Hawthorn Football Club to secure a new senior coach at the earliest opportunity.

The Club wishes Mitchell well in his new role and thanks him for his input while with the Club

Under Barry Mitchell the Box Hill Hawks finished the season 11th out of 14.

BHH had a terrible start losing the first nine (9) games under Mitchell.

Box Hill Hawks Season 2008 under Barry Mitchell

Played: 20 games

Wins: 6

Losses: 14

For: 1757

Against: 2051

Percentage: 85.67

The best team at end of home and away ladder was Gary Ayer's Port Melbourne team on 16 wins, 4 losses. They kicked: 2384 to 1720 against. and percentage 138%

The VFL in 2008 had a final 8.

Not sure but Box Hill are only advertising for Assistant Coaches and Development Coaches who want to come into the Hawthorn system.

I wonder if John Barker or Benny Dixon will be da men?

Tim Clarke - Captain/Coach?

Dont know whether he would come straight in as senior coach.

Captain absolutely 100% :thumbsu: Couldnt get anyone better.

Maybe Capt/Assistant Coach but the Box Hill coach is a senior assistant to Al Clarkson and as such you would need someone who has had coaching of at least assistant level at another AFL club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back