Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Sleuth1

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure he has the foot speed for the midfield. Love him where he is. Maynard is such an enduring player I think he will have a long AFL career.

Not sure he has the foot speed for the midfield. Love him where he is. Maynard is such an enduring player I think he will have a long AFL career.

I love him where he is too, but he's quicker than you give him credit for. He's quicker than the vast majority of our mids.

I think his first couple of steps aren't that quick which may make him seem slower than he is.

That's a really good point. In terms of pace for a midfielder, the first couple of steps and the balance and agility to move through traffic without dropping speed too far are more important than straight line pace. It's why Sidebottom rarely appears slow on a football field, despite supposedly being our slowest in a straight line race.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think his footspeed is fine. Decision making and quickness of thought might be lacking though.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He does a power of hard work around the contest. Real grunt work but he is not pretty! I love him and reckon he wears his heart on his sleeve.

He does. At times he's gone into the midfield to perform a specific role and done so quite well. I just don't think it's where we'd consistently get the best value from him. And that's without even wondering what you do with the mid he displaces and who'd take his defensive role.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's a really good point. In terms of pace for a midfielder, the first couple of steps and the balance and agility to move through traffic without dropping speed too far are more important than straight line pace. It's why Sidebottom rarely appears slow on a football field, despite supposedly being our slowest in a straight line race.
Yes which makes Brayden's positioning at the back of the square quite threatening if handled correctly - have a floater covering his area he can accelerate into the midfield contests with speed and bulk, either winning possession of breaking the pack open and allowing our outside mids to have easier access to the ball.

Such tactics are best used sparingly however as it opens us up to a certain extent.

Yes which makes Brayden's positioning at the back of the square quite threatening if handled correctly - have a floater covering his area he can accelerate into the midfield contests with speed and bulk, either winning possession of breaking the pack open and allowing our outside mids to have easier access to the ball.

Such tactics are best used sparingly however as it opens us up to a certain extent.

He would be good in that role, but I'd prefer Crisp doing it, because he's better at finding space when he gets the footy in congestion and also he tends to play on the higher half forward who also often runs into the centre square.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
He would be good in that role, but I'd prefer Crisp doing it, because he's better at finding space when he gets the footy in congestion and also he tends to play on the higher half forward who also often runs into the centre square.
I don't care who else we got in the Beams trade because Crisp was almost enough by himself - HUGELY underrated by some here. Durable quick, focused and intent on forcing the ball forward.

A coach's dream.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't care who else we got in the Beams trade because Crisp was almost enough by himself - HUGELY underrated by some here. Durable quick, focused and intent on forcing the ball forward.

A coach's dream.
You don't care about Degoey or Greenwood ? That was a magnificent trade for us that has really set us up.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
Developing very nicely, a midfield move might come sooner than expected, to give us a bit more grunt in there. Longer term it seems a natural progression for him

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree totally. From the trade until the end of career, Crisp will exceed Beams by himself. Bloody unreal.
I think you are underestimating Beams time at the Lions. To this point, since the trade, Beams has been better then Crisp. Beams was in the best handful of Midfielders in the comp at Brissy, elite. Crisp borderline, edging on being discussed as elite in his role.

Now that being said, Crisp is much younger, has more years left in him + JDG and Greenwood, beautiful trade.

But to this point, Beams has played to a far higher level then Crisp. And i love Jack

I think you are underestimating Beams time at the Lions. To this point, since the trade, Beams has been better then Crisp. Beams was in the best handful of Midfielders in the comp at Brissy, elite. Crisp borderline, edging on being discussed as elite in his role.

Now that being said, Crisp is much younger, has more years left in him + JDG and Greenwood, beautiful trade.

But to this point, Beams has played to a far higher level then Crisp. And i love Jack
Beams has played to a higher level, but he also lost a ysar to injury at Brisbane and is about to lose another half a season. There's a long way to go, but from the point of trade until the end of fheir careefs, we'll probably be looking at 6 years of Beams versus 10 years of Crisp. I'm taking Crisps 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back