Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to be honest and say that I couldn't watch that 2018 Sier highlights video that was posted earlier to the end, as it was almost distressing to see how well he was tracking back in 2018 in comparison to the heavily regressed version we have our hands on now.

I still think it's above the shoulders as much as anything with The Bear, as he can actually play and has the athletic traits to succeed. I also still feel very strongly that the ill-advised move to bring in a (in hindsight very much broken) Dayne Beams in 2019 just at the point where Sier would have (perhaps rightfully) been looking forward to progressing further towards being a best 22 player was a real sliding doors moment for us that ended up just messing with his head over that key off season and now here we are.

He still has the tools to make it, but time is very quickly running out for him to get the above the shoulders stuff right, so he needs to get a decent run of games this year and have the best pre-season of his life in 2022 as a first step hopefully towards something better for both him and the club.

I have to be honest and say that I couldn't watch that 2018 Sier highlights video that was posted earlier to the end, as it was almost distressing to see how well he was tracking back in 2018 compared to the heavily regressed version we have our hands on now.

I still think it's above the shoulders as much as anything with The Bear as he can actually play and has the athletic traits to succeed. I also still feel very strongly that the ill-advised move to bring in a (in hindsight very much broken) Dayne Beams just at the point where he would have (perhaps rightfully) been looking forward to progressing further towards being a best 22 player was a real sliding doors moment for us that ended up just messing with his head over that key off season and now here we are.

He still has the tools to make it, but time is very quickly running out for him to get the above the shoulders stuff right so he needs to get a decent run of games this year and have the best pre-season of his life in 2022 as a first step hopefully towards something better for both him and the club.
Tools yes desire and commitment no.

Was it the kind of embrace that a mafia godfather gives to a formerly trusted lieutenant just before he gets a double tap to the head?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes it was but we didn’t know who the mafia don was at the time

Uneccessary clarification - I did already highlight that it's the above the shoulders stuff he was lacking in, but you just keep being you old mate.
Frankly I doubt that he has any more insight than the rest of us into the true nature of Sier's problem. Your point about Dayne Beams robbing him of opportunity and maybe killing some of his enthusiasm for the game is spot on. Given how Sier was tracking in 2018 and the form of Adams, Beams seemed an unnecessary addition to the list.

Given how Sier was tracking in 2018 and the form of Adams, Beams seemed an unnecessary addition to the list.
That’s because our coaching staff watched the game, in which one player, Luke Shuey, took control and wrestled back the ascendency for West Coast and thought “we need more DEPTH in the midfield…”

Granted Beams was actually very good, but why Bucks et al thought that we needed to be deeper rather than simply better I’ll never know…

That’s because our coaching staff watched the game, in which one player, Luke Shuey, took control and wrestled back the ascendency for West Coast and thought “we need more DEPTH in the midfield…”

Granted Beams was actually very good, but why Bucks et al thought that we needed to be deeper rather than simply better I’ll never know…
Beams was a good player but never a great one.

Even at the peak of his career Beams was overrated shamefully - his disposal varied from stunning to shocking even when he had clear air in front.

But his biggest drawback - to my eyes - was his eagerness to throw the ball on his boot blindly when under pressure.

Listed as out with a (Jaw)! Did he pass a concussion test?

Thought he was subbed out because he took a knock to the jaw and was dizzy?

Unless his jaw is broken and wired shut, I would have thought it was a concussion issue keeping him out this week?

Just doesn't look good for Sier, when he should be desperately making every post a winner, every run-out a chance to save his list spot, and perhaps his career. Instead, he has been finding new and interesting ways to get subbed out and miss games, (diarrhea, jaw).

Been a bit of his story, he has struggled to put games together for some time, due to these niggling types of injuries.
I remember when he played through a game with an injury earlier this year, Bux made the comment that he showed everyone he could play through the discomfort. Seemed to me, that there was perhaps a bit of a glimpse behind the veil in that comment: Brayden misses a lot of games with niggling one and two week injuries, niggles that perhaps others play through.

Listed as out with a (Jaw)! Did he pass a concussion test?

Thought he was subbed out because he took a knock to the jaw and was dizzy?

Unless his jaw is broken and wired shut, I would have thought it was a concussion issue keeping him out this week?

Just doesn't look good for Sier, when he should be desperately making every post a winner, every run-out a chance to save his list spot, and perhaps his career. Instead, he has been finding new and interesting ways to get subbed out and miss games, (diarrhea, jaw).

Been a bit of his story, he has struggled to put games together for some time, due to these niggling types of injuries.
I remember when he played through a game with an injury earlier this year, Bux made the comment that he showed everyone he could play through the discomfort. Seemed to me, that there was perhaps a bit of a glimpse behind the veil in that comment: Brayden misses a lot of games with niggling one and two week injuries, niggles that perhaps others play through.

We did use the medi-sub when Sier came off the ground after a knock to the jaw, so I imagine we would have had some hoops to jump through explaining why the player shouldn't miss when the club doctor felt they needed to be subbed out after a hit to the head.

I think I recall that that the club has to do make any submission for a player subbed out using the medi-sub to play the following game to the Medical Director(?) at AFL house by COB on the next Monday (or business day) after the game was played? Perhaps Sier was still looking a bit sore and sorry for himself earlier in the week and the club doc couldn't say with 100% confidence that he wouldn't still be impaired either by the jaw and/or perhaps experience a bit of late-onset concussion this week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to be honest and say that I couldn't watch that 2018 Sier highlights video that was posted earlier to the end, as it was almost distressing to see how well he was tracking back in 2018 in comparison to the heavily regressed version we have our hands on now.

I still think it's above the shoulders as much as anything with The Bear, as he can actually play and has the athletic traits to succeed. I also still feel very strongly that the ill-advised move to bring in a (in hindsight very much broken) Dayne Beams in 2019 just at the point where Sier would have (perhaps rightfully) been looking forward to progressing further towards being a best 22 player was a real sliding doors moment for us that ended up just messing with his head over that key off season and now here we are.

He still has the tools to make it, but time is very quickly running out for him to get the above the shoulders stuff right, so he needs to get a decent run of games this year and have the best pre-season of his life in 2022 as a first step hopefully towards something better for both him and the club.

I think this idea that he has the athletic traits to succeed is exceptionally flawed. The most important physical attribute in the modern game is fitness, however good you are matters for nought if you're gassed at quarter time and can barely run in the 2nd half... Sier's fitness is garbage, and I doubt he has the passion or hunger to EVER fix it, which means he will always be terrible athletically.

I think this idea that he has the athletic traits to succeed is exceptionally flawed. The most important physical attribute in the modern game is fitness, however good you are matters for nought if you're gassed at quarter time and can barely run in the 2nd half... Sier's fitness is garbage, and I doubt he has the passion or hunger to EVER fix it, which means he will always be terrible athletically.
Fair enough. Let's dump him and give the Brown brothers his job. Then spend the next few years near or at the bottom of the ladder because we lack class players.

It's not exceptionally flawed at all - Sier is big, strong, quick, well balanced, has composure in traffic / under pressure and can dispose of the ball on both sides of his body. The one thing he lacks is a bit of endurance and his repeat efforts leave more than a little to be desired, but I think that is more above the shoulders than anything now given that he's actually shown he can play and perform strongly at AFL level, including in the heat of finals football.

Whether he does get his head straight, realise the opportunity he was looking for (and was perhaps snatched away from him with the ill-advised Beams trade in 2019) is right there in front of him, and keeps putting his head down on the endurance stuff to get back even just to where it was in 2018 time will tell, but saying he doesn't otherwise have the athletic traits to succeed as a footballer at AFL level is, without doubt, simply another premature and ill-informed assessment.

The challenge right now for Sier is clearly above the shoulders and, if we can find a way to help him get that part right then the rest should flow from there hopefully, because he has shown he can do it previously. I reckon some quality time with a sports psychologist at this stage might do Sier wonders as well tbh, as getting to the root of his motivational issues and trying to build up that resilience and hunger for the game inside him is probably a big key to him going to another level with his football.

Sier is potentially good enough for us to leave no stone unturned in persisting with trying to bring out that talent he has inside and the opportunity is there for him and the club to persist with it now that finals are off the radar and we're firmly in rebuild mode. If he's still where he is now after his age 25 season when he should be entering his prime then sure, I'll agree that he's probably not going to make it, but until then we shouldn't be pulling the pin on him prematurely.

Last edited:
i don't think we can wait to see if Sier eventually pulls it all together.
Just need to test the market with him, and if there is little value coming back, sign to a 1 yr deal on minimum chips and see if a new coach can get more out of him. Right now he seems to have little passion for the game or his teammates.

It's not exceptionally flawed at all - Sier is big, strong, quick, well balanced, has composure in traffic / under pressure and can dispose of the ball on both sides of his body. The one thing he lacks is a bit of endurance and his repeat efforts leave more than a little to be desired, but I think that is more above the shoulders than anything now given that he's actually shown he can play and perform strongly at AFL level, including in the heat of finals football.

Whether he does get his head straight, realise the opportunity he was looking for (and was perhaps snatched away from him with the ill-advised Beams trade in 2019) is right there in front of him, and keeps putting his head down on the endurance stuff to get back even just to where it was in 2018 time will tell, but saying he doesn't otherwise have the athletic traits to succeed as a footballer at AFL level, without doubt, simply another premature and ill-informed assessment.

The challenge right now for Sier is clearly entirely above the shoulders and, if we can find a way to help him get that part right then the rest should flow from there hopefully, because he has shown he can do it previously. I reckon some quality time with a sports psychologist at this stage would also do Sier wonders as well tbh, as getting to the root of his motivational issues and trying to build up that resilience and hunger for the game inside him is probably a big key to him going to another level with his football.

Sier is potentially good enough for us to leave no stone unturned in persisting with trying to bring out that talent he has inside and the opportunity is there for him and the club to persist with it now that finals are off the radar and we're firmly in rebuild mode. If he's still where he is now after his age 25 season when he should be entering his prime then sure, I'll agree that he's probably not going to make it, but until then we shouldn't be pulling the pin on him prematurely.
Beams played 9 games...

Beams played 9 games...

More than enough to be a sliding doors moment for Sier, who would have thought coming off his efforts in 2018 that he was on the cusp of cementing a best 22 spot just to be shoved back down to the VFL after we pursued Beams.

That moment in time when a kid starts to feel like they belong in the best 22 for a strong outfit is a really key one in the development of a lot of young footballers at all levels of football really, so I wouldn't be discounting the impact of us subsequently going out of our way to get Beams back in might have had on Sier's mindset in the 2019 season when he went a bit off the rails again.

Last edited:

Whether he does get his head straight, realise the opportunity he was looking for (and was perhaps snatched away from him with the ill-advised Beams trade in 2019) is right there in front of him, and keeps putting his head down on the endurance stuff to get back even just to where it was in 2018 time will tell, but saying he doesn't otherwise have the athletic traits to succeed as a footballer at AFL level is, without doubt, simply another premature and ill-informed assessment.

The challenge right now for Sier is clearly above the shoulders and, if we can find a way to help him get that part right then the rest should flow from there hopefully, because he has shown he can do it previously. I reckon some quality time with a sports psychologist at this stage might do Sier wonders as well tbh, as getting to the root of his motivational issues and trying to build up that resilience and hunger for the game inside him is probably a big key to him going to another level with his football.

He has always had the potential but both the head and the heart seem to be missing.

More than enough to be a sliding doors moment for Sier, who would have thought coming off his efforts in 2018 that he was on the cusp of cementing a best 22 spot just to be shoved back down to the VFL after we pursued Beams.

That moment in time when a kid starts to feel like they belong in the best 22 for a strong outfit is a really key one in the development of a lot of young footballers at all levels of football really, so I wouldn't be discounting the impact of us subsequently going out of our way to get Beams back in might have had on Sier's mindset in the 2019 season when he went a bit off the rails again.
Fragile type if so, true champs work harder when things don't go right.
Love his potential
Deeply underwhelmed by his commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back