Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
would it be outrageous to suggest that a soccer coach could cross over into the AFL?
It seems to me that there is a lot of cross over in strategy and tactics between the two codes now. And probably will get closer going forward
* me, would that mean our blokes would have to know the off-side rule? Cause it breaks my brain.

It is interesting that Ange only played until he was 26 in the NSL so not a massive level but is able to command respect from players, coaches and administrators from the highest levels.

The reasons are pretty clear, the skill set for a great coach is different to that of a great player. Motivating a group to do what you want is far different than motivating yourself to do what you want

regardless of how good a coach a soccer manager is, it will never work in the AFL. The coach ultimately needs to drive the playing department and having someone from a complete non afl background would ensure they dont have 100% respect from their underlings and players. This is especially true when the side starts losing or players issues emerge.

Whilst im rapt we have BB his true test is when we have genuine expectations and the side does not meet them. This is when we see if not having played at the level becomes an excuse.

regardless of how good a coach a soccer manager is, it will never work in the AFL. The coach ultimately needs to drive the playing department and having someone from a complete non afl background would ensure they dont have 100% respect from their underlings and players. This is especially true when the side starts losing or players issues emerge.

Whilst im rapt we have BB his true test is when we have genuine expectations and the side does not meet them. This is when we see if not having played at the level becomes an excuse.

There are many ways to gain player respect. just one of them is having been an elite player.

There are many ways to gain player respect. just one of them is having been an elite player.

Very true however the principle one not necessarily having been an elite player but rather having played at the elite level. Generally AFL history tells us that former elite players dont make good coaches.

The question would someone from a different sport be able to transition into being a good senior afl coach? I say no because they have not played the game at any level and players would quickly become disenchanted and basically not respect them.

Very true however the principle one not necessarily having been an elite player but rather having played at the elite level. Generally AFL history tells us that former elite players dont make good coaches.

The question would someone from a different sport be able to transition into being a good senior afl coach? I say no because they have not played the game at any level and players would quickly become disenchanted and basically not respect them.
You are possibly correct, but that would certainly have applied a lot more in the days before line coaches. Now, the line coaches would take some of the respect mantle. The head coach has to be more psychologist, teacher, tactician, man manger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Luck Bolts. Big test this year.

Nah. No pressure on him whatsoever, the only test is for inpatient,.illogical results/wins driven fans, who don't fully understand the growing pains of a rebuilding process.

Tipping us to finish 17th, and that's okay, you don't win flags with just youth.

Yep, generally it's the "honest battler" types who played at elite level and had to work their arses off for their opportunities who tend to have a better grasp of how hard you have to work and how badly you have to want success just to make the grade.

Yep, generally it's the "honest battler" types who played at elite level and had to work their arses off for their opportunities who tend to have a better grasp of how hard you have to work and how badly you have to want success just to make the grade.

Tommy Hafey, Sheeds, Malthouse, Pagan, Jeans etc.

Leigh Matthews is the only superstar player I can think from in the past 30/40 years that became a terrific coach.

Nah. No pressure on him whatsoever, the only test is for inpatient,.illogical results/wins driven fans, who don't fully understand the growing pains of a rebuilding process.

Tipping us to finish 17th, and that's okay, you don't win flags with just youth.

Big test - making this squad work / continued improvement. Didn't mention wins at all, but you go and fill in all the blanks and assume as much as you want.

Leigh Matthews is the only superstar player I can think from in the past 30/40 years that became a terrific coach.
Exactly, it seems players who have great communication skills have ended up being great coaches. Although surprised at Buckley as he is pretty concise how he composes himself on tv.

But you look at C.Scott, bomber Thompson, Clarko, Bevo of recent times who just know how to communicate and the job gets done... Whereas Leppa, Hardwick confuse me every time they speak and no wonder it translates to their poor afl coaching careers to date.

If that's how it is for bomber then for Sheedy you would need a bullet train to assist you in snorting much larger quantities of coke.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Blighty was a superstar on the field and a double premiership coach .
But it has to be said that not even he could help the Saints ...

You are possibly correct, but that would certainly have applied a lot more in the days before line coaches. Now, the line coaches would take some of the respect mantle. The head coach has to be more psychologist, teacher, tactician, man manger

Regardless of how many line coaches and other coaches the senior coach is the person with ultimate responsibility and who has to earn his own respect.

The issue of respect also applies equally to the assistant coaches and support staff. Someone from a complete non aussie rules background will find it impossible to gain/maintain that respect. Senior players are the key drivers to the player / coach relationship and we have seen multiple examples of inexperienced senior AFL coaches losing the playing group, imagine how bad it will be when not only are they in their fist senior afl coaching gig but have also never played the game at any level - the players among themselves will just laugh and then ask their managers to find them a new contract.

Blighty was a superstar on the field and a double premiership coach .
But it has to be said that not even he could help the Saints ...

Forgot about Blighty, but he took the Saints job like MM at Carlton for all the wrong reasons.

Regardless of how many line coaches and other coaches the senior coach is the person with ultimate responsibility and who has to earn his own respect.

The issue of respect also applies equally to the assistant coaches and support staff. Someone from a complete non aussie rules background will find it impossible to gain/maintain that respect. Senior players are the key drivers to the player / coach relationship and we have seen multiple examples of inexperienced senior AFL coaches losing the playing group, imagine how bad it will be when not only are they in their fist senior afl coaching gig but have also never played the game at any level - the players among themselves will just laugh and then ask their managers to find them a new contract.

i understand what you are saying. But the AFl is much more "holistic"now than before . The emphasis on relationships, the club as family approach is being embraced more and more. I see the head coach as the person who is responsible for that holistic culture. he appoints the assistant coaches which have the required experience and skills, so it is not going to be a case of ignore my line coach eg a Voss/Hird/ Judd because I dont think the head coach has played to my level and therefore "wouldnt know" Look at Wayne Brittain who only played in the QAFA for the Zillmere eagles . He generated a lot of respect amongst our players at the time. His lack of success was due to an ageing list and atrocious drafting. And he was our head coach back in the days before line coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back