Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your principle but completely disagree with your time-frame.

He has had to radically turnover a woefully depleted list whilst injecting a new spirit & culture across the whole club at the same time. It is a massive workload that simply takes time to get right.

We are only halfway through the rebuild so I think you should give him till the end of the 2018 season before you start to intensely scrutinise his any of his work. Anything less than that is just unfair and short-sighted.

By that time SOS & Bolton should have completely revamped the list and some of the younger players should be starting to really blossom after being in the AFL system for three years. If they aren't showing improvement, you may have reason to criticise then.

Until I see good reason to be concerned, then I'm strapped in for the full ride and know it is going to be an exciting one.
Quality post right there, Effendi........

He has had to radically turnover a woefully depleted list whilst injecting a new spirit & culture across the whole club at the same time. It is a massive workload that simply takes time to get right.

We are only halfway through the rebuild so I think you should give him till the end of the 2018 season before you start to intensely scrutinise his any of his work. Anything less than that is just unfair and short-sighted.

By that time SOS & Bolton should have completely revamped the list and some of the younger players should be starting to really blossom after being in the AFL system for three years. If they aren't showing improvement, you may have reason to criticise then.

Until I see good reason to be concerned, then I'm strapped in for the full ride and know it is going to be an exciting one.
By JLT 1, 2018 he'd have been in the job 28-29 months.

The whole premise of my original post was that if on that day we play as poorly as we did last Saturday, chatter will begin as to his future. I'm not saying it should begin now, nor am I saying I think he's not up to the job. I'm saying that we need to look a lot better this time next than we did last weekend.

By that time both he and SOS will have another trade and draft period to shape the squad and he'd have had his third pre-season to work on his game plan.

Bear in mind I'm not wringing my hands wondering why we aren't premiership contenders, that's some way off, I'm simply musing on the consequences of stagnation.

I wrote this back in 2015, I'm sticking with it too :

2016 : 17th - 18th
With a new coach and a lot of new players, we cannot expect a dramatic improvement in our ladder position especially as we don't have the full set of playing cards to work with. The game plan will be built around our patchwork quilt playing list so we can expect some bad losses score-wise. On the flipside, I'm expecting a more cohesive & committed effort from the team as the season progresses. Players will get to know each other better plus Bolton's message will seep in and the overall camaraderie will be forged.

2017 : 14th - 16th
Another season of retirements, trade deals and new kids via the draft will see our list transform even further. The new young players will have more games under their belt plus they will have physically & mentally developed even further.

2018 : 8th - 10th
Expecting a quantum leap up the ladder here as the playing list finally takes shape for the future. There'll be closer matches in 2018 with many a nail-biter on the cards, the players will now be disciplined and dedicated to fighting it out to the finish.

2019 : 6th - 8th
With three years of player development & experience plus some shrewd 'for need' trades, we should be forcing our way into the finals once again. I'm also expecting the new culture in the club to be fully ingrained and a powerful ingredient for all associated.

2020 : Top 4
Learning from our mistakes and with an even stronger hunger for success, this is the year we match it with the best in the league and earn the double-chance in the finals.

Question - without reaching back into the primeval slime, anyone have an idea on coaches who took the longest time to win a flag? Put it in this thread for coaching relevance only. That is all.

Robert Walls is the only coach in VFL/AFL history to win a premiership without making at least a preliminary final within his first five years.

One down, four to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree. No doubt the weekend looked poor and if we produced it every week I would be worried. There were legimate reasons for it and Bolton did try a number of things. There was no focus on structures, game plans etc. It was about game time.

The reality is it's where we are at. It's the start of a rebuild. Early days and it is frustrating but what makes me okay with it is the direction. We are finally doing a rebuild the way it should be done and so far I believe we have brought in as much young talent (if not more) than the Bulldogs, Saints or Demons did at this stage of their development.

Green shoots!

Totally disagree. One practice match and people are making strange assessments. We are rebuilding and have a while to go. We still haven't turned over our list completely yet. Practice matches mean bugger all.

This time next year we will have another 6-10 new kids. Murphy & Simmo will be older, Gibbs may be gone. Our draftees will still be very young and very inexperienced. Our only genuine established A grader will be Cripps. Lots have potential but won't be there yet.

IMO this and next year will see some average performances as kids get experience. It's the only way and what makes it harder is we could have 20-25 kids to try and develop. I am sure the club understands this and realise that both Bolton & SOS need time and it's certainly more than 2-3 years.

Agree with this. One thing we know about Bolton already is that he implemented a very sound defensive structure last year and many pundits widely lauded him for how quickly he was able to turn us around.. we had the least disciplined, most shambolic lack of structure before he turned up.

This year we will be fielding an even younger team so we are going to have more games where we get broken apart and the structure will look iffy. That's just the nature of the beast until our players mature. If you put it in perspective, between our 2015 and 2016 intake of youth we have a combined 37 games of footy. Yes you read that correctly and that includes Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham, Silvagni, SPS, Fisher, Macreadie, Polson, Williamson, Kerr, LeBois. Considering a bulk of these guys will be playing seniors this year, that's a staggering lack of experience. We will go backwards no doubt in my mind (others may argue). Our structures will look iffy at times as the new kids learn the ropes. No way will Bolton's job be on the line in 2018. The whole club understands we are years off.

Agree with this. One thing we know about Bolton already is that he implemented a very sound defensive structure last year and many pundits widely lauded him for how quickly he was able to turn us around.. we had the least disciplined, most shambolic lack of structure before he turned up.

This year we will be fielding an even younger team so we are going to have more games where we get broken apart and the structure will look iffy. That's just the nature of the beast until our players mature. If you put it in perspective, between our 2015 and 2016 intake of youth we have a combined 37 games of footy. Yes you read that correctly and that includes Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham, Silvagni, SPS, Fisher, Macreadie, Polson, Williamson, Kerr, LeBois. Considering a bulk of these guys will be playing seniors this year, that's a staggering lack of experience. We will go backwards no doubt in my mind (others may argue). Our structures will look iffy at times as the new kids learn the ropes. No way will Bolton's job be on the line in 2018. The whole club understands we are years off.
Frightening and reassuring at the same time.

Unpopular opinion coming up:

If we turn out for our first pre-season game in 2018 and serve up a performance like we did last Saturday, the drums will softly start beating.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's only pre season and blah, blah, blah, but we were an absolute shambles on the weekend. We looked, easily, like the least organised team in the competition; when responding please notice I'm making a distinction between structure and skill.

Yes the players will have been rusty, that I can completely understand, but structurally, my lord... Again we played with a forward line set-up (note: structure) that would have a local footy coach in the cross hairs.

If after another 12 months we look no better, Bolts will be under the pump.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...-is-the-right-time-to-go-20170301-guo7n5.html

She went on. "So when is the right time? Any less than two or three years in a role is unlikely to result in meaningful impact. The timeline for what is 'enough' varies by organisation, by leader, and by the complexity of the work. However, if as a leader, you haven't had the impact you want within four to eight years, you're probably in the wrong role."

While frustrating, we do have to understand there is every chance we go backwards ladder wise this year.

The reason is because we'll be blooding more inexperienced youngsters this year than last year, which means more inconsistent performances and perhaps some breakdowns in our structure which was quite good early on last year...but necessary if we are to make the jump into the top 8 if it means seeing less of players like Thomas, Jones, White, Armfield etc

By JLT 1, 2018 he'd have been in the job 28-29 months.

The whole premise of my original post was that if on that day we play as poorly as we did last Saturday, chatter will begin as to his future. I'm not saying it should begin now, nor am I saying I think he's not up to the job. I'm saying that we need to look a lot better this time next than we did last weekend.

By that time both he and SOS will have another trade and draft period to shape the squad and he'd have had his third pre-season to work on his game plan.

Bear in mind I'm not wringing my hands wondering why we aren't premiership contenders, that's some way off, I'm simply musing on the consequences of stagnation.

No coach gets judged on preseason results.

We are 22 games into a 66 game rebuild.

Judging will start in 2019 season proper.

No coach gets judged on preseason results.

We are 22 games into a 66 game rebuild.

Judging will start in 2019 season proper.
Apparently thylacine60 is the judge of what will be judged and when.

Has he authorised your judgement?

Realistically, I can't see recent draftee's (bar JW & JS) making meaningful impacts on the game for at least 2 more seasons. We also have to manage the possible transition of Simmo / MK / and potentially Murphy and Gibbs in the next 4 years as well. I can't see us playing finals before 2020, but that doesn't bother me as long as there is incremental improvement each season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back