Welcome Brennan Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wrong? Best available for your needs I can agree with. But if the 'best' player in the draft is a ruckman and we had pick one and took him, that would be stupid IMO.
Well if that ruckmen racked up 20+ possies a game and kicked 2 goals + won the hitout battle. He's probably more valuable than anybody else we could take. But I see your point and I tend to agree. If you have 3 seriously good KPD's and the best player is a KPD but the mids and forwards arent that far off, then youd take the alternative.

Well if that ruckmen racked up 20+ possies a game and kicked 2 goals + won the hitout battle. He's probably more valuable than anybody else we could take. But I see your point and I tend to agree. If you have 3 seriously good KPD's and the best player is a KPD but the mids and forwards arent that far off, then youd take the alternative.
Yeah, sorry, my response wasn't clear. I agree with you. I was talking as if we had that pick right now with 6 rucks on our list right now.

Yeah, sorry, my response wasn't clear. I agree with you. I was talking as if we had that pick right now with 6 rucks on our list right now.
I still think right now though, If that ruck was a 95% chance of being an All-Australian ruck and was miles ahead of other prospects, we should really be taking him. Though realistically to have a player like that you'd need pick 1 - and if he didn't fit your needs you'd downgrade your picks. So in 99.999% of situations I think we'd share the same perspective :)

No, no it's not.
Well take us through the top 10 selections from last year. Lyon says we rated Cerra above UDL. Or maybe you missed the Hiil/Rich debate.

If it isn't subjective how do the pros have different opinions? And that is with somewhat similar types of players, let alone the difference between Pavlich and Fiora, Hodge and Polak, Franklin and Tambling.

If Cox, Taberner, McCarthy and Dixon progress as expected, what is the best use of our first round pick?
Another midfield bull who attracts a crowd. Then we trade for a nippy small forward like Shai, and we have a decent group

Hey Dockers fans,

Here are some extended highlights of Cox from the weekend.

It's little bit longer than the rising star official highlights package, I tried to include most everything Cox was involved in. Including aerial contests, tackles and taps.

Cheers.

Hey Dockers fans,

It's little bit longer than the rising star official highlights package, I tried to include most everything Cox was involved in. Including aerial contests, tackles and taps.

Cheers.

Thank you very much. I love how strong he is now, at 19. Some of the first quarter stuff, he keeps his feet, gets the ball away easily. Just a natural footballer and a lot of upside, one hopes.

Hey Dockers fans,

Cheers.

That’s awesome thankyou for doing this!

I missed the game, jeez he was everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q. Who is the best set shot at goal in the club?
A. Brandon Matera

I am surprised how goal kicking emphasis seems to be an after training activity, if allowed.
I think what you forgot to mention that it was EXTRA goal kicking practice...

I am surprised how goal kicking emphasis seems to be an after training activity, if allowed.
Because it's far from the most important thing in the grand scheme. We have a 47% goal kicking accuracy this season so far which is about mid table. Our problems with scoring aren't because of wayward goal kicking. We are in the bottom five for inside 50s, marks inside 50 and shots at goal, and therefore not coincidentally goals per game.

We need more supply, better supply and better connection between midfield and forwards so we mark it inside 50 in positions where we can have more shots at goal.

The main thing that differentiates Cox and Tabs from the best forwards is marks inside 50. If we can up that number I don't see any reason why they can't start outputting goal numbers closer to Brown, Hogan, Cameron, Darling etc. Currently we don't have a single player in the top 50 for goals per game. Not getting intercepted (or making mistakes) more often than not across half forward might help that. We've mostly solved the turnovers at half back from last year, so this is just the next step.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it's far from the most important thing in the grand scheme. We have a 47% goal kicking accuracy this season so far which is about mid table. Our problems with scoring aren't because of wayward goal kicking. We are in the bottom five for inside 50s, marks inside 50 and shots at goal, and therefore not coincidentally goals per game.

We need more supply, better supply and better connection between midfield and forwards so we mark it inside 50 in positions where we can have more shots at goal.

The main thing that differentiates Cox and Tabs from the best forwards is marks inside 50. If we can up that number I don't see any reason why they can't start outputting goal numbers closer to Brown, Hogan, Cameron, Darling etc. Currently we don't have a single player in the top 50 for goals per game. Not getting intercepted (or making mistakes) more often than not across half forward might help that. We've mostly solved the turnovers at half back from last year, so this is just the next step.
I see your point but I don't really agree.
A golfing comparison. Boo Weekly (real name) led the PGA tour a few years back in Greens in Regulation (if you don't know what that is just think getting to the green most efficiently). He lost his card (right to play on tour) because he was an atrocious putter. Good putting forgives a lot of sins.
Working on goal kicking and being accurate is fundamental to winning games. Its why natural forwards are so valuable. Its not Cox's job to get the ball into F50. He (or someone ) needs to finish off the work from up the field.
All forwards IMO should practice goal kicking as much as they can.

I see your point but I don't really agree.
A golfing comparison. Boo Weekly (real name) led the PGA tour a few years back in Greens in Regulation (if you don't know what that is just think getting to the green most efficiently). He lost his card (right to play on tour) because he was an atrocious putter. Good putting forgives a lot of sins.
Working on goal kicking and being accurate is fundamental to winning games. Its why natural forwards are so valuable. Its not Cox's job to get the ball into F50. He (or someone ) needs to finish off the work from up the field.
All forwards IMO should practice goal kicking as much as they can.
Ha ha, be great if you could just kick it inside 50 and then get to take a shot from wherever it lands - Danyle Pearce would be a superstar! There is no receiver in golf, so sorry but your analogy makes no sense.

Of course forwards are responsible for how the ball gets inside 50. Buddy Franklin and Josh Kennedy (and perhaps Ben Brown this year) didn't win Coleman medals because they were accurate. They got themselves into positions to have a ****load of shots at goals - whether that is by getting separation on a lead to mark the ball, taking contested grabs, or they weaved their magic with ball in hand to have enough space to take a shot in general play. No question you want forwards to be accurate in front of goals but there's zero point to it if you never get the ball to have a shot in the first place. Tabs is kicking @ 60%, Cox @ 53.3%. Buddy is at 50.9%, McDonald the best of the big goal kickers at 80.6%. Sure I'd love if Tabs and Cox were kicking @ 80%+ but given their relative marks inside 50 and shots @ goal it wouldn't add much at all to our goal tally. Just to be clear I'm not saying practicing goal kicking isn't important, just that them finding space and our inside 50 kicking going to their advantage would have orders of magnitude more impact on our scoring.

Gee I didn't think Cox would come on this soon, what was it game 16? He had the midas touch going on and his involvements were crucial to getting us over the line. Monstrous performance; I hope he bolsters from it even more and keeps building. Special stuff

Because you can do it individually. Ball movement, defensive structures, clearance work etc. All needs to be done as a team exercise.

Pro basketballers also take shots and free throw practice at the end of training.

Because you can do it individually. Ball movement, defensive structures, clearance work etc. All needs to be done as a team exercise.

Pro basketballers also take shots and free throw practice at the end of training.
Yep.

C.Ronaldo used to spend (probably still does) hours after training taking free kicks and the like.

Ha ha, be great if you could just kick it inside 50 and then get to take a shot from wherever it lands - Danyle Pearce would be a superstar! There is no receiver in golf, so sorry but your analogy makes no sense.

Of course forwards are responsible for how the ball gets inside 50. Buddy Franklin and Josh Kennedy (and perhaps Ben Brown this year) didn't win Coleman medals because they were accurate. They got themselves into positions to have a ****load of shots at goals - whether that is by getting separation on a lead to mark the ball, taking contested grabs, or they weaved their magic with ball in hand to have enough space to take a shot in general play. No question you want forwards to be accurate in front of goals but there's zero point to it if you never get the ball to have a shot in the first place. Tabs is kicking @ 60%, Cox @ 53.3%. Buddy is at 50.9%, McDonald the best of the big goal kickers at 80.6%. Sure I'd love if Tabs and Cox were kicking @ 80%+ but given their relative marks inside 50 and shots @ goal it wouldn't add much at all to our goal tally. Just to be clear I'm not saying practicing goal kicking isn't important, just that them finding space and our inside 50 kicking going to their advantage would have orders of magnitude more impact on our scoring.

While I agree with both of these comment that ball movement, forward structures and systems need to be done as a team I also believe we miss the important finishing part of this which is kicking for goal (and scoring it). Just having kicking after training without being part of the pressure, exhaustion, and conditions of a game means players are practicing a different skill if they just take pop shots after training.

The best basketballers will practice in their own time but also spend a large majority of training on drills aimed at scoring. They are designed under different sorts of pressure, whether its defensive, time pressure or mental.

One example is an Australian Basketball training drill used as a final drill after a training session (the more exhausted the better). The team stands along the baseline in rough order of worst to best shooters. One by one they take a free throw, If it's missed the whole team runs the first line of a "suicide". This is cumulative for every miss. Rest if the shot is made. When you get you best shooters at the end, you get the most pressure on them to make the shot as the team is exhausted and pissed off if they're having to run many "suicides". Relief, congratulations and huge self belief for the last players if shot is made.

This drill could translate to kicking set shots and other team drill could be modified to add simulated pressure. Not talking about having defenders hanging all over the player.

Blokes don't win colemans because they're inaccurate.
Being in a position to have a shot is without doubt the first piece of the puzzle but the discussion is around Brennan practising goal kicking outside of training.
Its the finishing off the hard work by kicking the goal. Something most on here and he himself agreed he was doing poorly.
Putting and goal kicking are very similar. Its simply repeating the correct technique under pressure. You can hit as many greens or take as many marks as you want, but if you can't finish, you don't win.

Blokes don't win colemans because they're inaccurate.
Being in a position to have a shot is without doubt the first piece of the puzzle but the discussion is around Brennan practising goal kicking outside of training.
Its the finishing off the hard work by kicking the goal. Something most on here and he himself agreed he was doing poorly.
Putting and goal kicking are very similar. Its simply repeating the correct technique under pressure. You can hit as many greens or take as many marks as you want, but if you can't finish, you don't win.
Didn't Buddy kick almost as many points as goals in 2008?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back