Toast Brian Cook - class act

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
About a week and a half ago, my Nan (and candiehappy 's Mum) passed away, with an admittedly very good innings of 89. Nan was our Patient Zero for Geelong - managing to raise Dad, me, and my other Grandma as fervant Geelong supporters, as well as some slightly less fanatical but still Geelong-associated relations.

In the lead-up to the funeral I sent a brief email to the club, asking if they'd be ok to send on a card for the funeral - I explained that Nan and Pop had been reserved seat holders at Kardinia for decades, and were founding committee members for the Melcats.

The card duly arrived. I was a bit shocked when I opened it - I expected just a brief, typed, "Commiserations for your loss" or similar, maybe signed by the Community Officer. Instead, we had a full handwritten card, talking about how the staff were sad to hear of our loss, wished us the best, were grateful for Nan's support, hoped the blue-and-white hoops would continue to give us all pleasure reflecting on fond memories, etc etc... wrriten and signed, of course, by Brian Cook (who also addressed the envelope by hand). Absolute class act.

Sorry for your & candiehappy's loss

But great to hear what Cook & the club did - it's great to hear about these type of stories, the club & staff going that extra step

Last edited:

About a week and a half ago, my Nan (and candiehappy 's Mum) passed away, with an admittedly very good innings of 89. Nan was our Patient Zero for Geelong - managing to raise Dad, me, and my other Grandma as fervant Geelong supporters, as well as some slightly less fanatical but still Geelong-associated relations.

In the lead-up to the funeral I sent a brief email to the club, asking if they'd be ok to send on a card for the funeral - I explained that Nan and Pop had been reserved seat holders at Kardinia for decades, and were founding committee members for the Melcats.

The card duly arrived. I was a bit shocked when I opened it - I expected just a brief, typed, "Commiserations for your loss" or similar, maybe signed by the Community Officer. Instead, we had a full handwritten card, talking about how the staff were sad to hear of our loss, wished us the best, were grateful for Nan's support, hoped the blue-and-white hoops would continue to give us all pleasure reflecting on fond memories, etc etc... wrriten and signed, of course, by Brian Cook (who also addressed the envelope by hand). Absolute class act.

Thanks so much for sharing! What a blessing your Nan must have been for your family, and what a legend she was for such loyalty to the Mighty Cats! Bless you and your family...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for your loss, fantastic to hear stories like this. People like your nan are what make this club great. Love hearing about passionate supporters sharing their love of the club with those they hold most dear! I hope someone says the same about me when my time is up!

sounds like you two are a similar vintage to my son and I
I hope that you were arm in arm with your son in 2007 when the drought broke, as we were at the game.

Mum & Dad went to the GF's in 89, 92, 94 & 95. Wasn't up to going to the game in '07 which was a real shame.

I hope that you were arm in arm with your son in 2007 when the drought broke, as we were at the game.

Mum & Dad went to the GF's in 89, 92, 94 & 95. Wasn't up to going to the game in '07 which was a real shame.

Snap :thumbsu: - we were there in 2007 and 2011 , memories we will never forget.
I was also at 92 , 94 & 95 so the 3 in 5 years helped to erase that pain.
He's 22 now and we still try to come across to Melbourne for a couple of games , Foxtel is great but nothing like being there live.
I got my Cats passion largely from my Pop who used to take me to watch the Cats as a young tacker - despite coming from Sydney he understood the game well and boy could he barrack :)

To two of our quality posters...I hope time never fades the outstanding memories you must have of a woman who clearly taught you many great lessons in life.

Including how to be all in for the mighty Cats!

And it says it all about how I regard Cook to observe that what he did here for your family doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Best administrator I've ever seen by the length of the Great Ocean Road.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got my Cats passion largely from my Pop who used to take me to watch the Cats as a young tacker - despite coming from Sydney he understood the game well and boy could he barrack :)
Yes, Nan and Pop used to take me down to Kardinia Park - and true to form, I was on their friends' family ticket as their son, to save a few bucks...

Condolences iameviljez and candiehappy, sorry to hear of your loss.

Very classy from Brian Cook, echoes the commitment he has for the club and the people that make it so special.

If I may ask, what exactly are/were the 'Melcats'? I've heard the name a few times but I'm not certain what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back