Up the Coasters Brilliant. Just ******* Brilliant (Positives and Negatives vs Narrm)

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1994564

So good to see him enjoying coaching again
I don't get this from Simmo, suggesting Waterman is a second stringer.

"Letting him play to his strengths, fly for your marks. Maybe JK (Josh Kennedy) not being there or Oscar (Allen) maybe he’s flexing a little bit, Jakey.

“He’s a role player still and he’s playing his role. He’s competing and our forwards, we just want them to compete and the pressure comes off that.”

Last edited:

Agree with all the praise but seriously folks; it begins at the top;
BW went full bore at Gawn and set the tone for WC. If your big boys don’t go hard then it’s difficult for your little blokes to crack in !
Reid’s goal. Push off with the right; gather with the non preferred left and turn smoothly and sharply at the same time.Phew!!

Positives

I’m going to have to eat some humble pie on Sheed. Didn’t want him in the side. He would be my last choice to play a “cooler” role given he doesn’t seem to have a defensive bone in his body but he totally blanketed Oliver’s influence tonight and had just enough impact back the other way. Maybe found a way to keep his spot in the side as a run with player. Just think his ability to do so will be limited to inside players and not quick outside players.

Another whipping boy that played a great role tonight was Jack Darling. 12 tackles (career high) and 3 goals straight was a great outing. The fact that he is capable of such an effort is why he sometimes earns the ire of the crowd with Bronx cheers on those odd games where he just doesn’t touch it for three quarters only to bob up on the wing for a chest mark late in the last quarter. A sometimes frustrating player, Jack just needs to bring tonight’s endeavour week in, week out.

Negatives

Umpiring. We won so hate to bitch and moan but Umpire #16 was single handedly trying to drag them back into the game in the third.

Rotham still the weak link in the team. I like him but he’s making some bad blues far too often.

Enjoying footy again is so much fun. Harley Reid is making me go to other teams boards, opening their “Opposition discussion” thread, just so I can read more about how good Harley Reid is.

It’s Fckn tragic but I don’t care
How's that Essendon nuffie who thinks that Reid ran further than Rankine.
Sure mate, his three bounces don't count.

Stuck at home sick with nothing else to do so I've decided to write up a short analysis of each of our players tonight. Apologies for the lengthy post.

#1 Liam Ryan - 12 Disposals, 5 Marks, 5 Score Involvements, 2.0
Easily the best game Liam has played since returning to the AFL. Seems like he's gained the confidence back to fly for marks and impact contests at the ground level. Chased hard and hit targets with most of his disposals. His second goal came at an extremely important time and killed off any momentum the Demons were building.

#2 Jake Waterman - 17 Disposals, 13 Marks, 88% Efficiency, 2 Tackles, 5.1
Massive game from the 'loosh. 13 marks with 5 of them being contested is huge. Likely the best player on the ground and wouldn't be far off the best forward in the competition right now. A couple of missed chances in the first half was the only thing preventing him from kicking a huge bag. Didn't need to work as hard defensively because Darling was performing that role beautifully.

#4 Dom Sheed - 17 Disposals, 5 Intercepts, 5 Tackles, 6 i50s, 82% Efficiency
Interesting negating role on Oliver (26 Disposals at 61%) whilst also racking up some touches himself. Sold teammates into trouble on a few occasions but also found a bit of space on occasion and provided a link up option when we broke away on quick transitions. Provided a great run down tackle in our forward 50 that led to a turnover and a goal. Wasn't happy with his selection in the team but probably earnt himself another week or two.

#5 Jayden Hunt - 11 Disposals, 4 i50s, 4 Clangers, 81% Efficiency, 1.0
Solid game from Hunt without being outstanding. Kicked a nice goal early. Provided run and racked up a lot of metres gained (300+). Was beaten a few times by his direct opponent but never stopped chasing.

#7 Reuben Ginbey - 21 Disposals (11 Contested), 6 Clearances, 76% Efficiency, 23 Pressure Acts, 1.0
It feels like every week people are saying Ginbey has had a 'breakout game' but eventually we're just going to have to accept that he's been this good the whole time. Clean hands (mostly) and was always in the right spot to provide an option or become a link in the chain. Showed great composure to steady himself and slot a cracking goal rather than chuck it straight on the boot with a snap. Only 113 metres gained despite 10 kicks which shows he's still preferring to handball or kick sideways. Needs to be a bit cleaner by foot (60%) but didn't cause any major turnovers.

#9 Harley Reid - 21 Disposals (10 Cont), 7 Clearances, 4 Tackles, 90% Efficiency, 10 Score Involvements, 2.0
What can you say that hasn't already been said? Led the game in rating points, hit targets by foot at 90% efficiency despite choosing difficult to execute options, made the Demons experienced mids look like amateurs. And still running hard deep into the 4th qtr. Whatever he asks for on his next contract - double it.

#11 Tim Kelly - 30 Disposals (14 Cont), 60% Efficiency, 8 Clearances, 6 Clangers, 8 Score Involvements, 34 Pressure Acts, 0.2
TK stepped up in the absence of Yeo and dragged the eagles forward time after time. Disposal efficiency by hand and foot could be cleaned up but he was usually getting first hands to the ball so it would be harsh to judge him on that alone. 34 pressure acts is huge, almost double any other Eagle. Would be waking up sore tomorrow.

#14 Liam Duggan - 29 Disposals (3 Cont), 9 Marks, 75% Efficiency, 4 Clangers, 668 Metres Gained
Captain Duggan is continuing to put together a solid season after a poor first couple of games. Looks composed with the ball and led a very organised defensive half-back unit. Led his side with a massive 668 metres gained. I don't put too much stock in rating points but at only 5.2 the statisticians weren't thrilled with his output for whatever reason.

#15 Jamie Cripps - 22 Disposals, 7 Marks, 50% Efficiency, 8 Score Involvements, 4 Tackles, 1.3
Crippa had an odd day out. 8 score involvements suggests he played the role asked of him but finishing with 1 goal 3 behinds and 50% disposal efficiency shows he could have done more with his opportunities. Often seems to make the lower-percentage decisions. I suspect Simmo will be happy with the performance nonetheless.

#16 Luke Edwards - 6 Disposals (2 Cont), 83% Efficiency, 1 Clanger, 1 Tackle, 0.1
Probably worst on ground for the Eagles despite not doing too much wrong. Not sure what his role was but didn't do much offensively or defensively. Kelly sat a ball on top of his head in the forward 50 and he shirked the contest by turning his body and not taking the mark. At least had to hold his position and take the contact from the defender which would have likely resulted in winning a free kick (but with those umpires, who knows). Probably goes out next week for Culley or Dewar.

#18 Campbell Chesser - 12 Disposals (6 Cont), 83% Efficiency, 3 Tackles
Slowly starting to find more of the ball. Seemed to relish being given opportunities at centre bounces, although I'm not sure exactly how many he attended. Only spent 73% of Time on Ground, his disposal numbers will improve once he builds that tank with a few more pre-seasons. It is clear Simmo and the selection committee appreciate that Chess is so versatile; being able to play inside, outside and bob up for the occasional goal. Shows glimpses of elite skills, just needs to become more consistent. Hit 100% of targets by foot which is promising.

#19 Brady Hough - 25 Disposals, 9 Marks, 92% Efficiency, 5 Intercepts, 4 Score Involvements
Sheppard 2.0. Pickett was the Demons best player in the first quarter but Brady promptly put a stop to that nonsense. Exceptional defensive performance from Hough whilst also getting involved in scoring chains. Would have to be top 5 in the Worsfold Medal at this point.

#20 Jeremy McGovern - 23 Disposals, 8 Marks, 9 Intercepts, 82% Efficiency, 4 One-Percenters
The first name picked on the team-sheet every week. Unbelievable how important he is to the Eagles. Making his case for a 5th All Australian jumper. Amazing vision and accuracy with his passes out of defence which allowed our mids to break the lines again and again. Continually repelled attacks whilst also launching them (542 metres gained). Up there with Reid and Snake as the best players on the ground.

#23 Alex Witherden - 13 Disposals (5 Cont), 76% Efficiency, 7 Intercepts, 5 One-Percenters
Where has this version of Witherden come from the past two weeks? I thought his career was almost over but he has suddenly become a monster. Rarely beaten by his direct opponent today and was classy and composed by foot. All of a sudden we're swimming with medium sized lockdown defenders, a good problem to have.

#27 Jack Darling - 13 Disposals, 61% Efficiency, 4 Marks, 12 Tackles, 18 Pressure Acts, 7 Score Involvements, 3.0
I'm a long suffering Darling fanboy, so I'm very glad he's putting the doubts about his place in the team to rest. 12 tackles is huge for a forward of his size and some of those were exceptional efforts that led directly to goals. Rewarded for his effort with 3 goals of his own. A large reason for the Eagles coming away with the win.

#28 Tom Cole - 12 Disposals (5 Cont), 58% Efficiency, 4 Clangers, 5 Intercepts, 4 Tackles
Really copped it from the rating points in his 100th game, likely due to his disposal efficiency and one third of his disposals resulting in clangers. Despite that though, I thought he put in a great shift defensively. Was clean on the pick-up and broke up a number of the Demon's forward thrusts. I personally think he's been quietly one of our best throughout the season and I think he'll continue to be a solid contributor.

#31 Jamaine Jones - 11 Disposals, 7 Marks, 90% Efficiency, 3 Clangers, 19 Metres Gained
Probably the second worst for the Eagles after Edwards. Granted, he only spent 68% ToG, but he really wasn't impactful and struggled to find the ball. Played more in the forward half than his usual defensive role. It's clear the other boys love having him around though, it's almost worth keeping him in the side just for his secret handshake celebrations with Harley.

#32 Bailey Williams - 8 Disposals (5 Cont), 4 One-Percenters, 62% Efficiency, 3 Clearances, 3 Clangers, 6 Tackles, 24 Hit-Outs
Big day out for Bailey, taking a huge hanger and competing well with one of the best rucks in the comp. 24 hit-outs (5 to Adv) vs Gawn with 28 (7 to Adv). Getting 6 tackles out of your ruckman is massive. Another body who is going to be sore in the morning. Will be interesting to see what happens when Flynn and Allen come back, with Jack Williams also performing well.

#34 Jack Williams - 8 Disposals (6 Cont), 75% Efficiency, 3 Marks, 3 Clearances, 4 Tackles
Another solid game by Willo who is developing nicely at AFL level. Looks comfortable in the ruck against more experienced opponents. I actually think our stoppage work is better when he's rucking. He had only 4 hit-outs but 2 of them were to advantage. 4 tackles is a good effort as well and he continues to pop up with important marks.

#35 Josh Rotham - 11 Disposals, 6 Marks, 90% Efficiency, 0 Score Involvements, 3 Clangers
I'll fully admit to being a big Rotham backer, but this wasn't his best game. By no means did he play poorly, he just wasn't involved much and made a couple of mistakes that led to Demon goals, one of which was a relatively straight-forward dropped mark. Hit his targets at 100% by foot including a bullet pass into the centre of the ground, just needs to do it more often.

#37 Tom Barrass - 15 Disposals (8 Cont), 8 Marks (3 Cont), 8 Intercepts, 93% Efficiency, 8 One-Percenters
Unsung hero of the match, 8 one-percenters is huge. Continually took important marks and made Brown his bunny all day. His courage lifts the other backmen. Hopefully Bazzo can get back on the park to learn from the best.

#41 Ryan Maric - 12 Disposals (5 Cont), 6 Marks, 83% Efficiency, 3 i50s, 1.1
Still baffling how somebody so young can look so composed with the ball. Really important to the Eagles structure when going forward today, offering the outlet kick and finding targets inside 50. Really gets around the other boys after a goal and lifts spirits with his work rate. Only spent 72% ToG.

#43 Tyrell Dewar - 2 Disposals, 100% Efficiency, 4 Pressure Acts
Despite playing less than 10% of the match, racking up 4 pressure acts in such a short amount of time is crazy. Didn't get much of an opportunity to work into the match. Looked super composed during the scoring chain for our final goal, taking the advantage and not panicking to find Darling open in the 50 with a long handball.

And a final shout out to the umpires. I very rarely criticise them as the AFL seems intent on making the game as hard to officiate as possible, but they were consistently terrible throughout the match. But it's been a long time since I cared enough about footy for the umpiring to make me angry, so that in itself is a sign that WE'RE SO BACK BABY!

Pregame, a certain Lord Nev on the Melb board had this to say about the game today. '10 goal win coming up. They're no good at almost all the things that we struggle with. We also average a higher score than them, which is hilarious.'

Good to see that turned out well for
'They're no good at all the things we're no good at':drunk:
Expecting to see Lord Nev on Fox footy pretty soon

Darling has certainly lost a step, but is so valuable with his pressure and ability to bring the ball to ground and make a contest out of almost nothing.

One of the underrated greats of our club. I remember the day he was drafted, and was ecstatic he lasted to us....... dirty finger and all.

How's that Essendon nuffie who thinks that Reid ran further than Rankine.
Sure mate, his three bounces don't count.
The strangest one for me is Sydney’s board. They’re the best team in the league, and they have almost no fans posting on their board. And they have the highest population in the country.

Apart from all the obvious stuff, there was a point about midway through the last quarter where the constant pressing up the ground just totally broke Melbourne's ball movement. It looked like they weren't even trying to go forward with any sort of plan after that, they just repeatedly panic kicked it down the line to Gov and Barrass who were gobbling up everything and sending it back with interest. It has been a long time since west coast has overpowered a team and got them playing the game on our terms and playing to our strengths.

Even compared to the other two wins this year, this is the first one where it felt like the game was played almost entirely the way we wanted to play.

The strangest one for me is Sydney’s board. They’re the best team in the league, and they have almost no fans posting on their board. And they have the highest population in the country.
That fits all the Sydney fans I know to a tee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win. But to be fair, we did get 12 business class seats. Never flown business class so I was wondering, does it take less time to travel from Perth to Melbourne if you fly business class?
Well you may be closer to the door, so you save critical minutes embarking and disembarking.

Great win. But to be fair, we did get 12 business class seats. Never flown business class so I was wondering, does it take less time to travel from Perth to Melbourne if you fly business class?
I’m being a real plane nerd but unless Virgin has some special 737’s set aside for the AFL teams then they only have 8 business seats on them. I used to fly on them twice a week for work, they only have 2 rows of 4 seats.

If the media is going to kick up a fuss about a fraction of the club sitting up front, they could at least get the number of seats right.

Simmo when asked about our ball movement, said "our kick ins were going alright"
what changed? we didn't ******* kick out to the right. this one doesn't feel like a personnel, although gov hasn't played as much as wed like, but surely we have had the ability for a forward to come up into space for a kick in at some point in the last 2 years.
this cant be the first and only time a team has given us that option.
Weird one to be mad about tonight, but why haven't we tried that at any point ever :(
This is playing the long game from simmo .

Gov has been kicking long to the right for 2 years

Every team does their research and sets up for long to the right .

Gov now has so many other options

4D chess

• L.Edwards, looked slow and didn't do much with it. As someone said, if Greg Clark can't make it due to his lack of pace then L.Edwards won't make it and he would have to do something special with his lack of pace. With the new gamestyle, L.Edwards lack of pace just doesn't suit the new fast contested style.

So far as the curious case of Luke Edwards, I'm not even sure he's that slow. 31.3km/h isn't lighting but I'd say [having looked] in about 50% of AFL matches it's still top 5 on ground for speed recorded by the tracker. I'm assuming he recorded that speed early in the Essendon game. Considering he invariably leads our side for distance covered at speed and average speed, he's probably just always on the edge of being cooked and doesn't have it in the legs to be doing anything explosive.

No idea what the future looks like for him and copped the sub tonight but it does seem he's playing a role. Hasn't been dropped yet and gets low possession numbers week in week out regardless.

IMG_6322.jpeg

So far as the curious case of Luke Edwards, I'm not even sure he's that slow. 31.3km/h isn't lighting but I'd say [having looked] in about 50% of AFL matches it's still top 5 on ground for speed recorded by the tracker. I'm assuming he recorded that speed early in the Essendon game. Considering he invariably leads our side for distance covered at speed and average speed, he's probably just always on the edge of being cooked and doesn't have it in the legs to be doing anything explosive.

No idea what the future looks like for him and copped the sub tonight but it does seem he's playing a role. Hasn't been dropped yet and gets low possession numbers week in week out regardless.

View attachment 1994603
Bar petch non of those guys in that list are known to be quick tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back