Bringing the game into disrepute

Remove this Banner Ad

Sim Zed

Draftee
Nov 7, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
In 2007 Ben Cousins was deregistered by the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute. Ben was addicted to drugs but had not at that stage been charged or convicted of any crime. I find it astonishing that Marlion Pickett is free to play in a weeks time despite being charged with 12 counts of aggravated burglary, amongst other serious crimes.
So what exactly constitutes “bringing the game into disrepute” and why does It seem that everyone is attempting to sweep Marlion‘s current situation under the carpet?
I understand that Pickett isnt as high a profile player as Cousins but one guy had a legitimate health issue (addiction) and never hurt anyone but himself while the other guy allegedly steals hundreds of thousands of dollars and is free to play……..it just doesn’t make sense to me.

i also find it strange that nobody in the media is commenting on this story. When Jordan DeGoey engaged in consensual activities with a lady in Bali the media were running countless articles about him demanding he apologise and asking why he hasn’t been sacked yet nobody is saying a thing about a bloke who allegedly ripped of numerous businesses and is facing serious time in prison if convicted.

So you ban Pickett, and what if he is completely cleared of all his alleged crimes? We have a presumption of innocence in our legal system.

So if you ban Pickett for "bringing the game into disrepute" and he is innocent of all charges, then how does the AFL make it up to him for banning him from playing? Would that allow him to sue the AFL for missed earnings etc?

So you ban Pickett, and what if he is completely cleared of all his alleged crimes? We have a presumption of innocence in our legal system.

So if you ban Pickett for "bringing the game into disrepute" and he is innocent of all charges, then how does the AFL make it up to him for banning him from playing? Would that allow him to sue the AFL for missed earnings etc?
Shhh!!

You are being way too logical!

We need more emotional faux outrage please

In 2007 Ben Cousins was deregistered by the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute. Ben was addicted to drugs but had not at that stage been charged or convicted of any crime. I find it astonishing that Marlion Pickett is free to play in a weeks time despite being charged with 12 counts of aggravated burglary, amongst other serious crimes.
So what exactly constitutes “bringing the game into disrepute” and why does It seem that everyone is attempting to sweep Marlion‘s current situation under the carpet?
I understand that Pickett isnt as high a profile player as Cousins but one guy had a legitimate health issue (addiction) and never hurt anyone but himself while the other guy allegedly steals hundreds of thousands of dollars and is free to play……..it just doesn’t make sense to me.

i also find it strange that nobody in the media is commenting on this story. When Jordan DeGoey engaged in consensual activities with a lady in Bali the media were running countless articles about him demanding he apologise and asking why he hasn’t been sacked yet nobody is saying a thing about a bloke who allegedly ripped of numerous businesses and is facing serious time in prison if convicted.
GIF by AFL

That's farcial!

DeGoey had proven evidence against him with photos and a video(?)
The media or public has no evidence of Pickett doing anything wrong yet, so it's much harder for the media to make a big story out of it, everything we know so far is just that he's facing charges, we don't know when or where it happened or what exactly he did.

Well see there is this thing called the law......and it means that you don't run prejudicial stories on someone who has yet to be tried.

If he is convicted his career is OVER.

Kinda feels like you’re insinuating it is a race thing….
Come on, do we always have to go after the race card straight away?

Thomas & Elijah Taylor are aboriginal players that have been stood down recently so I don't think that is the case. But I think theirs were proven to be true straight away

Can anyone remember if Milne was stood down at any stage after he had rape allegations? I can't remember

Lovett did get sacked after his allegations but he did have a bad past record with violence against women

Come on, do we always have to go after the race card straight away?

Thomas & Elijah Taylor are aboriginal players that have been stood down recently so I don't think that is the case. But I think theirs were proven to be true straight away

Can anyone remember if Milne was stood down at any stage after he had rape allegations? I can't remember

Lovett did get sacked after his allegations but he did have a bad past record with violence against women

I’m not going after squat.
Op is suggesting the AFL is ignoring the situation and in his words everyone else is trying to sweep it under the carpet.
It’s pretty bloody obvious why nothing has happened yet, as answered in other posts.
So either the Op is a moron or is insinuating something else is in play, for Pickett to get what he perceives to be special treatment.
Anyways close this stupid thread

I hate players being stood down due to being charged for "alleged" criminal offences, isn't it innocent until proven guilty, legal cases can drag on for years.

Only way they miss games should be if they are in a mental state where they can't play.

I’m not going after squat.
Op is suggesting the AFL is ignoring the situation and in his words everyone else is trying to sweep it under the carpet.
It’s pretty bloody obvious why nothing has happened yet, as answered in other posts.
So either the Op is a moron or is insinuating something else is in play, for Pickett to get what he perceives to be special treatment.
Anyways close this stupid thread

I believe the OP is making that point that Cousins hadn't been convicted nor tested positive for illicit drug use, however the AFL decided to deregister him (or at least from my hazy memory from back then he hadn't been found guilty), but the Picket situation has been handled differently.

I agree with you that Pickett shouldn't be banned as he should be presumed innocent until his day in court but it's a fair point the OP is making comparing it to Cousins. Of course, everyone knew what Cousins was doing, and clearly the way the AFL have handled Pickett is the better way but I see no reason why this topic can't be at the very least discussed and i don't really understand your rage and anger about it. I also don't understand why you're trying to force your opinions on others and have the discussion shut down. I also don't understand why you've resorted to personal abuse, all that does is diminish any good points you may have made.

Perhaps BF should assign you as our moral compass and have you check everyone's posts before they're made public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe the OP is making that point that Cousins hadn't been convicted nor tested positive for illicit drug use, however the AFL decided to deregister him (or at least from my hazy memory from back then he hadn't been found guilty), but the Picket situation has been handled differently.

I agree with you that Pickett shouldn't be banned as he should be presumed innocent until his day in court but it's a fair point the OP is making comparing it to Cousins. Of course, everyone knew what Cousins was doing, and clearly the way the AFL have handled Pickett is the better way but I see no reason why this topic can't be at the very least discussed and i don't really understand your rage and anger about it. I also don't understand why you're trying to force your opinions on others and have the discussion shut down. I also don't understand why you've resorted to personal abuse, all that does is diminish any good points you may have made.

Perhaps BF should assign you as our moral compass and have you check everyone's posts before they're made public.

Think that might be a touch over the top.
There is no rage and I’m not forcing opinions on anyone. I suggested closing the thread as the question was answered.

For the record Ben Cousins was an 18 month long circus that involved abandoning cars, running from police, multiple arrests, club imposed suspensions, international rehab, links to bikies and so on.

Reasonable to suggest that he was bringing the game into disrepute.

Is Marlion Pickett behaving the way Ben Cousins did though? I don't think he is. Seems like "bringing the game into disrepute" is reserved for exceptional circumstances like the supplements saga or a star player like Cousins (arguably one of the faces of the game at the time) behaving the way he did.

If Pickett is found guilty, then I get how he'd be bringing the game into disrepute by playing, but these are mere allegations at this stage. Also, Pickett isn't showing behaviour that would bring the game into disrepute on its own either. So that's why he's free to play at this stage.

Think that might be a touch over the top.
There is no rage and I’m not forcing opinions on anyone. I suggested closing the thread as the question was answered.

For the record Ben Cousins was an 18 month long circus that involved abandoning cars, running from police, multiple arrests, club imposed suspensions, international rehab, links to bikies and so on.

Reasonable to suggest that he was bringing the game into disrepute.

Mate, I agree with you, unfortunately when you make comments like:

• Close this stupid thread
  • So either the Op is a moron or is insinuating something else is in play
  • Kinda feels like you’re insinuating it is a race thing….

Your valid points get lost. Don't be one of those types who are always trying to turn it into a race issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back