Brisbane International Sun 31st Dec to Sun 7th Jan 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard a rumour there were some upset Australian players with Groth getting a singles qualifying Wild Card and a deal between the tournament organisers and Kyrgios for Tomljanovic to get a wild card if he signed on.

I think the issue with Groth is he has been on Radio all week.

I don't think anyone can have a real problem with either. You can never please everyone.

I didnt hear that rumour though I wouldnt be surprised if the Kyrgios and Tomljanovic deal is true.

Just like Wawrinka and Vekic from last year IF it is the case.

I dont think Nick has played at Brisbane before , usually plays in exhibition matches before the Aust Open.

Correct. Stan the Man never played Brissy before last year. His usual lead-up was Chennai (now relocated to Pune).

I heard a rumour there were some upset Australian players with Groth getting a singles qualifying Wild Card and a deal between the tournament organisers and Kyrgios for Tomljanovic to get a wild card if he signed on.

I think the issue with Groth is he has been on Radio all week.

I don't think anyone can have a real problem with either. You can never please everyone.

Whilst the very last statement is true it's the fact that there are deals taking place at the expense of other players who don't have the fortune of savvy management or who aren't on the upper echelons of favouritism with TA like Groth is for example. Being buddies with Hewitt surely must help.

And Tomljanovic. Wow. For someone who will never be able to represent Australia in Fed Cup or the Olympics in spite of her new found citizenship, she sure is enjoying a free ride.

Yeah, what can I say. Politics, a necessary evil, it sucks if you're on the wrong end of it. End of rant.

Will the AO organisers give him a maim draw WC? I'd be ok if they gave him a spot in the qualies.

The thing with Main draw WC (there are 2 left) there aren't many choices I feel. I agree with the latter tho. His ranking isn't something ridiculous. It's only just outside of the Q cutoff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Millman was a bit miffed a couple of years ago when he was just outside of automatic entry for Brissie and was not granted a WC. Instead of playing quailes he went off and played in Chennai. Given he’s a local and pretty popular up there I could understand it (him being a bit miffed I mean, he had previously played two good matches up there against Federer and Murray).

Last edited:
Will the AO organisers give him a maim draw WC? I'd be ok if they gave him a spot in the qualies.

I originally thought he had ruled himself out of singles but listening to him on SEN yesterday it sounds like he still wants one. I think he might get one. He is pretty popular amongst TOTB.

ANDY Murray has boarded a plane bound for Brisbane after playing an exhibition set in Abu Dhabi, providing a valuable boost for Brisbane International organisers.

Murray, 30, did not move with great conviction in his 6-2 loss to Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut according to reports.

But the best news for worried Brisbane officials was that he flew out on Friday to Brisbane, rather than delay the trip because of doubts about how his chronic hip problem has born up to two days of practice in Abu Dhabi

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k=2dff7f873a072565fda95229e8101b98-1514609360

Most likely, they will show Aija v Aiava. Don't know who will win, I havent really seen much of Aija's game.

Both are power players expect some big hitting.

Aiava didn't seem intimidated 12 mths ago when she was a nobody to our media. Now that's she had some exposure we'll she how she fares. She's responded well to the disappointment of losing in Bendigo (l. Patterson 2nd Rnd) and finals in Canberra (l. to Rogowska) and the u/18 Nationals (i. to Fourlis) by winning the AO WC Playoff.

Alja has found form recently as well but the biggest concern is she retired hurt in the recent Dubai final. It was her 4th of the 2017 season (her 3rd came after a walkover).

She has the experience over Aiava obviously but there is concern whether her body will hold up.

Good win by J P Smith today.

Hewitt confirmed to play doubles with Thompson in Brisbane.

Is Hewitt angling to play Davis Cup again? :shoutyoldman:

I mean if the best team is Kyrgios as #1 singles and Peers as #1 in doubles with 2 to come from Kokk, Thompson, Millman then he is probably an injury away from being a legit option :oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back