Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 85 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still not sold on firing Leppa. We've been horrible, but I don't know that we'd be much better under someone else. Big thing I'm cranky about is our defensive transition. I'm not convinced that we actually have a defensive transition setup.

The big upside of sacking him though is that I can see a situation where the AFL approach someone like a Sanderson or a Thompson on our behalf, and say "we want you to take the club"... A smart coach would then be able to point out the club's deficits and label it a fool's errand, and refuse to take the job without certain benefits for the club to increase their likelihood of success in the coming years. Something like, say, a priority pick at the beginning of the first round. Doesn't cost the AFL anything, and the coach gets more material to work with, increase his likelihood of success at the club. Head coaches don't get too many shots at the top job - being fired after 20% win rate is just about the end of a career -- can't see Sanderson or Thompson signing up without a fat pay packet and a bit of list/facilities assistance from AFL House.
Agree with the upside.Priority pick probably is at the end of the first round IMO.

I think Ratten would be a great coach, however I really hope he doesn't take the job. Knowing a number of people in the psychology/counselling space, I don't think it's really possible to be ready to move states and take this kind of a job so soon after such a life-altering loss. One of my qualified friends said that anybody who genuinely thought they were ready would have to be in denial.

It takes people entire lifetimes to get over something quite so tragic, and they need to have their support network - close friends, extended family etc - around them for years afterwards. To move interstate and take on a job like coaching us feels like a recipe for a breakdown. For his own mental health, I hope he doesn't enter the race - I don't think it would be fair for him to have to think about it.

I feel like what the club needs more than anything is somebody who commands respect - somebody who will come in and instantly take control of the playing group. Inexperienced coaches won't be able to do that unfortunately, and I feel Sanderson will struggle as well after what happened in Adelaide. It needs to be somebody with an unquestionable track record of success. That's why I think, and have thought for some time, that Bomber is realistically our only great choice. There are other potentially good choices, but he is the only great one.

Agree with the upside.Priority pick probably is at the end of the first round IMO.
Depends - if the AFL want someone specific, priority pick 1 isn't a lot to give up.

I thought it likely that AFL would've wanted to silently punish Essendon a bit more, plus take the drug scandal off the front page, so I figured Priority Pick 1 was pretty likely.

Then yesterday, the AFL announce that Essendon top-up players are all DFAs at year end... Effectively letting Essendon sign Dea and Kelly without have to draft them or pay for them. Seriously - how much do the AFL want to reward Essendon for cheating?

Now, I reckon the AFL have reverted back to 'protect Victoria' mode, and Essendon will keep Pick 1.

End of first round would be a complete waste of time. I'm not saying it won't happen, but if that's what we get, then someone at the AFL needs their head smashed in. That would be effectively admitting that we need help, and wanting to look like they're doing something, without actually doing something... I would honestly rather they did nothing, because then next year when we still suck, the AFL can't turn around and try to suggest that they've already helped us.

Still wouldn't put it past them. They've proved repeatedly that QLD isn't a priority for them.

Depends - if the AFL want someone specific, priority pick 1 isn't a lot to give up.

I thought it likely that AFL would've wanted to silently punish Essendon a bit more, plus take the drug scandal off the front page, so I figured Priority Pick 1 was pretty likely.

Then yesterday, the AFL announce that Essendon top-up players are all DFAs at year end... Effectively letting Essendon sign Dea and Kelly without have to draft them or pay for them. Seriously - how much do the AFL want to reward Essendon for cheating?

Now, I reckon the AFL have reverted back to 'protect Victoria' mode, and Essendon will keep Pick 1.

End of first round would be a complete waste of time. I'm not saying it won't happen, but if that's what we get, then someone at the AFL needs their head smashed in. That would be effectively admitting that we need help, and wanting to look like they're doing something, without actually doing something... I would honestly rather they did nothing, because then next year when we still suck, the AFL can't turn around and try to suggest that they've already helped us.

Still wouldn't put it past them. They've proved repeatedly that QLD isn't a priority for them.
Absolutely agree. Theyr'e happy to change the rules if it suits the VFL and helps " the AFL needs a strong Essendon" view

The worst thing they did was to not grow a set and move two teams out of Victoria and relocate them to GC and GWS. I also don't believe that Tasmania wouldn't be able to have a team (you seen the crowds they get at Hobart/Launceston) and move another one down there. It wouldn't have been popular but at least it would have dilutes the Vic-centric mindset a bit. They obviously have no clue and they're all
Intertwined down there and like patting each other on the back and hanging out in their boys clubs.

Personally I wonder if it is worth letting Leppa start next year at least and see out his contract. Not a good look that we re-sign him then later in the same year firing him. Maybe look to have an experienced senior coach (like Ratten) as an assistant with the view he will either help Leppa or become the next coach. If it was always the plan to turn over so much of the list and this was really the first year he would actually do coaching (as he said earlier this year himself) then maybe he should get the benefit of the doubt. Unless the AFL steps in and says we would get more help (like a PP) if we do sign a new coach instead (which wouldn't surprise me at all)

Personally I wonder if it is worth letting Leppa start next year at least and see out his contract. Not a good look that we re-sign him then later in the same year firing him. Maybe look to have an experienced senior coach (like Ratten) as an assistant with the view he will either help Leppa or become the next coach. If it was always the plan to turn over so much of the list and this was really the first year he would actually do coaching (as he said earlier this year himself) then maybe he should get the benefit of the doubt. Unless the AFL steps in and says we would get more help (like a PP) if we do sign a new coach instead (which wouldn't surprise me at all)
I think that is a bit of a copout though. So he cut the list, what has he done during the season? Does he not even have to coach them because "this is his first year"? Coaching is about more than just win/loss, he has to be judged on many things and you cant certainly say he hasn't got the best out of the players which is a crucial aspect of being a coach.

I think that is a bit of a copout though. So he cut the list, what has he done during the season? Does he not even have to coach them because "this is his first year"? Coaching is about more than just win/loss, he has to be judged on many things and you cant certainly say he hasn't got the best out of the players which is a crucial aspect of being a coach.

I agree with you. I am genuinely torn between if he should get to coach next year or not. Those were my thoughts on if he should stay. Not convinced he should myself though

I feel like what the club needs more than anything is somebody who commands respect - somebody who will come in and instantly take control of the playing group. Inexperienced coaches won't be able to do that unfortunately, and I feel Sanderson will struggle as well after what happened in Adelaide. It needs to be somebody with an unquestionable track record of success. That's why I think, and have thought for some time, that Bomber is realistically our only great choice. There are other potentially good choices, but he is the only great one.

Yep, we've gone through Voss and (seemingly) Leppa. Time now for someone to come in and simply tell the players what is going to happen. Bomber is the only candidate who seems to be available and who fits the bill of a coach who will not be questioned or pushed around.

Has to do it for the right reasons though. Or at the very least have someone under him who can gain further experience and take over down the track.

I thought Leppa was weeding out the sooks. Hence the turnover.

Yep, we've gone through Voss and (seemingly) Leppa. Time now for someone to come in and simply tell the players what is going to happen. Bomber is the only candidate who seems to be available and who fits the bill of a coach who will not be questioned or pushed around.

Has to do it for the right reasons though. Or at the very least have someone under him who can gain further experience and take over down the track.
Why has Leigh Tudors name become abscent all of a sudden? Had good wraps for a while there and I personally think he speaks alright.

Why has Leigh Tudors name become abscent all of a sudden? Had good wraps for a while there and I personally think he speaks alright.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling he wasn't on that list of coaches doing the level 4 accreditation.

EDIT: doesn't look like it going by this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been in the discussion for HC jobs for a number of years but has been passed over. Not sure why.

Has been in the discussion for HC jobs for a number of years but has been passed over. Not sure why.

The impression I've gotten is that he doesn't interview well.

I thought Leppa was weeding out the sooks. Hence the turnover.
You're not allowed to say that!!!!! It's 2016 these players weren't sooks. Players don't harden up anymore the coaches have to bend over and take it to appease our precious little lion cubs.

Paul Hudson should be added to the list as a potential replacement...

St Kilda Football Club Development Coach and VFL Senior Coach Paul Hudson has informed the club he will not seek an extension to his coaching contract beyond this season so that he may pursue other opportunities.

After playing 245 games for Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs and Richmond from 1990-2002, Hudson has overseen the Saints’ VFL side Sandringham Zebras since 2015 and been part of St Kilda’s coaching department since joining the club at the end of 2010.

Hudson has spent the last three seasons working under Senior Coach Alan Richardson, who wished Hudson well and thanked him for his time with the club.

Before joining St Kilda Football Club as a development coach, Hudson worked as an assistant coach with Brisbane Lions and Collingwood Football Clubs, and was the coach of TAC Cup team Gippsland Power in 2005.

He was named VFL Coach of the Year in 2015 after taking the Zebras to a preliminary final.

Brendan McCartney moulded the Bulldogs into everything they are today by drafting a group that plays with both a passion and ferociousness that is the envy of every other club. Unfortunately he lost his position before he had a chance to see his vision come to fruition.
Luke Beveridge is good but he was handed a golden basket of underestimated youngsters all with the same desire to get every last ounce out of their ability.
McCartney is a very good communicator and should be given another chance at Senior level to recreate his master plan with us.
For gods sake we need to get some desire, willingness to throw it all on the line and hardness which is so lacking in our current crop.

Brendan McCartney moulded the Bulldogs into everything they are today by drafting a group that plays with both a passion and ferociousness that is the envy of every other club. Unfortunately he lost his position before he had a chance to see his vision come to fruition.
Luke Beveridge is good but he was handed a golden basket of underestimated youngsters all with the same desire to get every last ounce out of their ability.
McCartney is a very good communicator and should be given another chance at Senior level to recreate his master plan with us.
For gods sake we need to get some desire, willingness to throw it all on the line and hardness which is so lacking in our current crop.
If memory serves me it was actually his communication that got players offside and started all his issues. Agree with all your other points but not sure about that one!

i would be very keen on McCartney or Sanderson in a head of player development role, not so much as the head coach, don't know why just a gut feeling.

Very interested to hear opinions on Dimma, If he did get the sack would we be in a position to/ want to offer him a head coach role (or other) for 2017?

I don't mind his coaching style and don't rate the tigers list.

Would have him over Sanderson (plenty of sinister rumours about his night life in Adelaide), and McCartney I'm unsure of.. so Dimma may be the most experienced option?... Thoughts?

Very interested to hear opinions on Dimma, If he did get the sack would we be in a position to/ want to offer him a head coach role (or other) for 2017?

Would have him over Sanderson (plenty of sinister rumours about his night life in Adelaide), and McCartney I'm unsure of.. so Dimma may be the most experienced option?... Thoughts?
No.

Mark Thompson, Brett Ratten, Chris Fagan, Stuart Dew >................Dimma

No thank you

Back