Women's Footy Brisbane Lions Women's Team - Official Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sort of related:

This womens footy is not a new thing.....we have a photo of mum (who is 85 now) in her footy gear playing in the Mallee league when she was a young just married. She was wearing dads jumper.

Apparently the WAGS of dads team wanted to play too, so they arranged to have a game with the WAGS of an opposition team.

I don't have the photo here with me, it's in mums album up home, but if I could I'd love to show you, she was right into it!:D

Wow, no Tayla Harris in the leadership group.
I was thinking she would be a lock.

She's very young - only 19. Even the great Michael Voss wasn't captain until 21. She'll get her chance down the line.

In the meantime she can settle for being the most recognisable and well-paid player on our list courtesy of her marquee status and marketing bonuses.

My understanding is that the players were asked to nominate to be either the captain or in the leadership group. Perhaps Tayla didn't put her hand up?

She's very young - only 19. Even the great Michael Voss wasn't captain until 21. She'll get her chance down the line.

In the meantime she can settle for being the most recognisable and well-paid player on our list courtesy of her marquee status and marketing bonuses.
True!

Honestly, have no idea why Harris is apparently the most marketable. Would have thought someone like Zielke would be given the accolades she was received plus her longevity in the game promoting womens football long before Harris was on the scene. Anyway, I can't wait for some footy at least not going to expect a premiership but at least have the team give it their all.

Wouldn't have thought "time spent playing/promoting the game" directly translates to marketability.

Tayla takes big speccies and roosts big goals. Imposing presence on games. Seems to have a pretty vibrant personality too. Wouldn't have to be too cynical to suggest being tall and blonde adds to the image either.

I'm surprised that her marketability isn't obvious.

Last edited:
Wouldn't have thought "time spent playing/promoting the game" directly translates to marketability.

Tayla takes big speccies and roosts big goals. Imposing presence on games. Seems to have a pretty vibrant personality too. Wouldn't have to be too cynical to suggest being tall and blonde adds to the image either.

I'm surprised that her marketability isn't obvious.

Spectacular AND attractive AND outgoing is what makes her very marketable. Plus a flawless kicking technique that makes her an automatic poster. Seriously how many times have you seen this or a variant thereof.

EzAWahy.jpg

Pity she didnt do better in the Fox Long kicking comp before the granny, id have loved her to beat some of the guys there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to say I'm surprised and disappointed that Tayla didn't get the captaincy....after all, she has basically been the face of our girls team from day one.

Have to say I'm surprised and disappointed that Tayla didn't get the captaincy....after all, she has basically been the face of our girls team from day one.

Again though, she's 19. It would be like making Schache captain. She might be the most high profile player to us fans who have very limited exposure to women's football let alone the personal dynamics of the team, but captaincy is so much more than that.

Zielke is a mature and experienced premiership captain for Coorparoo FC and is a two time AFLQ women's best and fairest winner. By far the most accomplished and credentialed Queensland footballer on our list. She is clearly the standout option.

Tayla is a star of the future but why would more experienced and wiser female footballers see her as a natural leader at this stage? It would be roughly comparable to players voting for a 19 year old Jonathan Brown over a 26 year old Michael Voss.

Last edited:
I see your point, so I'll take your word for that.

I guess I was surprised as I hadn't really seen anyone else except Tayla, who I thought was lovely and seemed to be a great ambassador for their team. I don't/haven't got to know the others yet.

Am hoping to go to Casey fields to see them play..

I'm not a supporter of "Bring back the biff" but if the umps are going to start on each other, I could be persuaded to get behind it.

Oh I have stories...... stories I will share on the day.... until I get thrown out for pouring beer on a goal umpire and removing my pants!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back