Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

If we get an Aus Olympics the AFL season would start and finish early to accommodate it
I’m a Melbourne born and bred but due to the new regulations Brisbane is our best bet to get the games.
Yes we’ve got the facilities but that July-September also includes the Paralympics so the weather in winter wouldn’t be able to accomodate a summer Olympic Games.

I’m a Melbourne born and bred but due to the new regulations Brisbane is our best bet to get the games.
Yes we’ve got the facilities but that July-September also includes the Paralympics so the weather in winter wouldn’t be able to accomodate a summer Olympic Games.
Late September games in Melbourne would be just as hot as July in London. If Queensland want to waste money on white elephant stadiums when there is a far cheaper option in Melbourne be my guest. But I hope we don’t waste any federal money on this ridiculous idea

Late September games in Melbourne would be just as hot as July in London. If Queensland want to waste money on white elephant stadiums when there is a far cheaper option in Melbourne be my guest. But I hope we don’t waste any federal money on this ridiculous idea
Then when do you expect to hold the paralympics?
Also most of the Venues are already built from the commonwealth games and are used in the community so they aren’t white elephant stadiums...

Then when do you expect to hold the paralympics?
Also most of the Venues are already built from the commonwealth games and are used in the community so they aren’t white elephant stadiums...
Hold it before realistically hardly anyone cares about it. Need a lot more stadiums for the Olympics then Com games. Where is the host stadium going to be? That’s a multi billion dollar project. If it went to Melbourne or Perth they have one ready to go

Hold it before realistically hardly anyone cares about it. Need a lot more stadiums for the Olympics then Com games. Where is the host stadium going to be? That’s a multi billion dollar project. If it went to Melbourne or Perth they have one ready to go
If you looked at my link I posted, there are only a few temporary venues needing to be built. There was a plan for a potential Olympic Stadium at Albion Park (which would then become an AFL venue post games) however the IOC have suggested that athletics is held at Carrara with the ceremonies at the Gabba.

it doesn’t matter when you hold the Paralympics it won’t change the access the IOC/IPC need to the venues. The venues are the same for both Olympics and Paralympics. They can’t do the games in July however your suggesting they do the Paralympics then... it doesn’t stack up!

If you looked at my link I posted, there are only a few temporary venues needing to be built. There was a plan for a potential Olympic Stadium at Albion Park (which would then become an AFL venue post games) however the IOC have suggested that athletics is held at Carrara with the ceremonies at the Gabba.

it doesn’t matter when you hold the Paralympics it won’t change the access the IOC/IPC need to the venues. The venues are the same for both Olympics and Paralympics. They can’t do the games in July however your suggesting they do the Paralympics then... it doesn’t stack up!
Lol you know that warm weather is detrimental to athletic performance in most of these events. The majority of things are indoors now anyway so it does not matter. The federal government should not be wasting money on this.

Also an 80k stadium for the AFL when they struggle to fill the Gabba makes no sense.
does an 80k stadium for little athletics carnivals in the outer suburbs make more sense? Ps. The gabba could also be used for cricket, state of origin and concerts. Its in a great location for the city. Especially with the city link underground train station being built. once thats complete its the best spot for a sport stadium in the entire city.

does an 80k stadium for little athletics carnivals in the outer suburbs make more sense? Ps. The gabba could also be used for cricket, state of origin and concerts. Its in a great location for the city. Especially with the city link underground train station being built. once thats complete its the best spot for a sport stadium in the entire city.
It was going to be 60k anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They want to hold the olympic athletics in a stadium of 17 thousand people? I think the athletes might boycott. They want to be cheered by 80 thousand plus at an olympics. Even commonwealth games have 40 plus thousand stadiums full for athletics.

They want to hold the olympic athletics in a stadium of 17 thousand people? I think the athletes might boycott. They want to be cheered by 80 thousand plus at an olympics. Even commonwealth games have 40 plus thousand stadiums full for athletics.
Metricon has 25,000 and will be upgraded to accomodate the games to 40,000 plus

60k is just embarrasing. Doesnt lang park a
ready hold 60? Gabba by 2032 will need to hold 60 anyway. Its due for a massive rebuild.
Olympic venue requirements have changed. The IOC no longer requires big stadiums that end up as white elephants, 60,000 seat main stadiums meet the new requirements now. The Tokyo stadium has 68,000. The Rio athletics stadium had 60,000

40 thousand is ok as long as its not the athletic stadium and used for soccer instead. Athletics and ceremonies needs 80 thousand as a minimum.
No they don't. Brazil hosted the athletics at 46k soccer stadium, think the home ground of Botafogo, that had temporary seating that got it to just over 60k. The Maracana held the ceremonies and whilst its capacity for soccer is 78k, capacity for the ceremonies was 72k.

The Athens Olympic stadium has a 72k capacity. The IOC has changed. It knows it can't demand ridiculous infrastructure spend by bidding cities. Coates said a 60k stadium for Brisbane is acceptable to the IOC.

Good luck to Brisbane / Queensland, I hope it happens and don't mind if the Feds tip some money in.

It will be good event and the build up will be great. I think with the changes the IOC has made it can be done without sending everyone broke.

Sure we can always make argument to tip more money into areas like Health and Defence but I also think the games will be positive experience which can't be a bad thing.

Olympic venue requirements have changed. The IOC no longer requires big stadiums that end up as white elephants, 60,000 seat main stadiums meet the new requirements now. The Tokyo stadium has 68,000. The Rio athletics stadium had 60,000
But if the queensland government builds a new stadium out near the airport arent they too building a new white elephant? Lang park and the gabba have the prime locations. No third stadium will be used long term in brisbane.

But if the queensland government builds a new stadium out near the airport aren't they too building a new white elephant? Lang park and the gabba have the prime locations. No third stadium will be used long term in brisbane.
Not if they follow the original London Olympic Stadium model.

That stadium was designed to be taken apart and reduced from 3 or 4 tiered 80k stadium, to a permanent 1 tier /base tier 25k stadium and become the national home of UK Athletics / British Athletics.

But several organisations wanted to keep it as a major stadium and West Ham United took out a long term lease and made it the club's new 60k home base moving from their 36k Upton Park home after it was redeveloped but before London hosted the 2017 IAAF World Championships. Seats are moved back and forth to use the athletics track and for seats to be close to the soccer pitch at ground level.

There are 2 stadium in Qatar that will be dismantled after the world cup and parts of each ones will be donated to African nations.

So Brisbane could build a 60k-70k stadium near the airport, and bid for the 2027, or 2029, or 2031, or 2033, or 2035 IAAF World championships build a new athletics stadium, that can be reduced to 20k ie keep the lower tier seating/stand, after it has hosted the Olympics and athletics world championship.

It then becomes a legacy building and facilities for athletics and other sports just like the old 1982 Commonwealth Games site at Mt Gravatt which became the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre in 2003 and regularly hosts the national athletic championships. They still have about 35,000 or so temporary aluminium seat stands as well as 2 grandstands with about 15,000 seats.

Sell that land to help fund part of the new stadium and all the sports out at Mt Gravatt get new facilities after the stadium is reduced to 20k.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back