Player Watch Brody Mihocek

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is probably why there is talk about lifting the draft age. I'm 100% certain that there are others who have been missed because they weren't quite mature or good enough at 18. When you think of players like Brody plus Tim Kelly from Geelong, Michael Hartley (Ess) and of course Michael Barlow from the past, I agree that there are late bloomers out there who would make an instant impact. I'm just surprised there aren't more hidden gems recruited. Maybe the older players have other careers and don't want to gamble on building a footy career. I don't know what the answer is.
The idea behind raising the draft age is solely to keep better talent in the VFL longer, as is the mooted cutting of AFL club list numbers.

The mooted rule changes are specifically to increase scoring to increase ad breaks and benefit the TV rights owners.

Nothing that has been suggested is to benefit the clubs, the supporters or the game although that is how it is being "dressed up".
personally I am very uncomfortable with Eddie being involved and will be very Pissed Off if he sells us out.

Awesome read. Mihicek sounds like a top bloke. I'm stoked we have someone with that character, determination and work ethic at the club. It raises standards.

We seem to be doing well out of applying the 'no d***head' rule. Mihocek is one of many that we now have, who come across as smart, sensible, balanced - and can play footy. Loving this aspect of the club.

We seem to be doing well out of applying the 'no d***head' rule. Mihocek is one of many that we now have, who come across as smart, sensible, balanced - and can play footy. Loving this aspect of the club.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's taken some time hasn't it? When Buckley came in he was pretty clear in his path on that and he stuck to his guns. That's really admirable I reckon. In the face of a lot of derision. If i'm honest, I was critical of his inability to get the most out of all personality types. But it's nice to know that our players are good solid people. There's a lot of esteem in that. It's really gelling together and is now reflected on the field of play too.

Starting to really develop a dislike for Browne.

Dunno if it's his face or the fact that he makes up information on the go just so it seems like he has "exclusive" news.
But he's not exactly building up a good rep for being a newcomer to the industry.

I wouldn't put him in the Robbo category just yet. That's specifically reserved for Robbo. (and Carowhine Wilson)
Mihoceks value is rising by the week. He'd be mad to not delay negotiations. I'm not sure why a journalist saying he's delaying negotiations has angered you so much.

The no DH rule is purely selective.
Applied without favour DeGoey would be gone. Two or three times.
Applied without favour the two convicted drug takers would never have been put back on the list.
The no DH policy is a media invention, happily reinforced by the coach and club when it suits.

The no DH rule is purely selective.
Applied without favour DeGoey would be gone. Two or three times.
Applied without favour the two convicted drug takers would never have been put back on the list.
The no DH policy is a media invention, happily reinforced by the coach and club when it suits.

I have no issue with the rule not being applied to JDG - those in the inner sanctum know him a lot better than we do, hence why the sanctions included the need for Jordan to find some new friends. Clearly they knew him well enough that he could be reformed if given the right guidelines. The Steve Johnson situation was a good precedent.

As for JT and O'Keeffe their crimes were based on stupidity not because they were DH's.

PIES WILL NEED TO PAY UP FOR MIHOCEK

By Jon Ralph

COLLINGWOOD revelation Brody Mihocek will push for a two-year contract extension after his stunning rise to senior football.

The Magpies selected the 25-year-old former Port Melbourne defender at No.22 in last year’s rookie draft as defensive insurance.

But he kicked four goals in his first AFL game and has played the past eight games, kicking 15 goals and at least one major in every game so far.

His manager Anthony McConville said yesterday he was thrilled for his client after a career that went via Tasmania, Essendon reserves, Werribee and Port Melbourne.

As a 2018 rookie, Mihocek is on a set base of $75,000 plus $4000 per game and a maximum bonus of $12,000 for 11 or more senior games.

It means he has made $107,000 so far this year, good money compared to the average wage but much less than the AFL average wage around $370,000.

McConville is keen to provide some security for Mihocek after a seven-year journey towards the AFL.

“Rookie contracts are one year, so we are in conversations with Collingwood right now. How long that takes to progress I am not sure,’’ he said.

“But he has had a good year and played senior footy and we are hoping that can continue for the remainder of the year.

“We are looking to do a two-year contract extension.”

Mihocek is expected to take on Sydney on Saturday night despite an ankle sprain that hampered him against Richmond.

McConville lauded Collingwood’s foresight to rookie Mihocek then see his potential as a key forward.

“We had all the faith in Brody and his ability to play at the highest level and he just needed a club to back him in and take a chance with a mature-ager and we are very fortunate Collingwood gave him that opportunity.

“He was playing solid footy as a defender and we always knew he could play both ends of the ground, he had the flexibility to play forward and back and they didn’t pigeonhole him as a one-trick pony.

“So for a club to envisage he could play that role going forward was a really good thing.”

Mihocek’s elevation is one of a number of remarkable football stories this year that include this week’s debut for Nathan Freeman and Alex Johnson’s return to football.

Its an interesting one, wonder if the situation would be less complicated if Reid was coming out of contract this year

Why is it complicated...….he deserves a contract.

He will be rewarded accordingly.

Ease up Macca this could backfire pretty quickly especially if Lynch is a Pie
Its an interesting one, wonder if the situation would be less complicated if Reid was coming out of contract this year

Remember that Mihocek is a backman and we’re rather short of those ATM (pun intended)

Why is it complicated...….he deserves a contract.

He will be rewarded accordingly.

Of course he deserves a contract, and I have no doubt he'll be offered one. It could get complicated because we might not be in a position to offer him what he'd ideally want, particularly if we land Lynch. 'Complicated' doesn't mean there isn't a solution where everyone ends up happy.

Remember that Mihocek is a backman and we’re rather short of those ATM (pun intended)
Is he though? They've had a few opportunities to play him down back in the past 8 weeks

He was wasn't he, well until he signed an extension.

Either way, not sure why Reid's status should impact. I think Mihocek will get his 2 year extension on $300-400k. It's a cheap investment. Interesting aspect will be whether it's as a rookie on an agreed salary (list management imperatives) like Frost was or as a promotion to the senior list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either way, not sure why Reid's status should impact. I think Mihocek will get his 2 year extension on $300-400k. It's a cheap investment. Interesting aspect will be whether it's as a rookie on an agreed salary (list management imperatives) like Frost was or as a promotion to the senior list.
I just meant that we're probably overcommitted on a few guys (IMO Mayne, Wells, Reid) and Reid is the most like-for-like. I agree that Reid doesn't necessarily impact, but could.

PIES WILL NEED TO PAY UP FOR MIHOCEK

By Jon Ralph

COLLINGWOOD revelation Brody Mihocek will push for a two-year contract extension after his stunning rise to senior football.

The Magpies selected the 25-year-old former Port Melbourne defender at No.22 in last year’s rookie draft as defensive insurance.

But he kicked four goals in his first AFL game and has played the past eight games, kicking 15 goals and at least one major in every game so far.

His manager Anthony McConville said yesterday he was thrilled for his client after a career that went via Tasmania, Essendon reserves, Werribee and Port Melbourne.

As a 2018 rookie, Mihocek is on a set base of $75,000 plus $4000 per game and a maximum bonus of $12,000 for 11 or more senior games.

It means he has made $107,000 so far this year, good money compared to the average wage but much less than the AFL average wage around $370,000.

McConville is keen to provide some security for Mihocek after a seven-year journey towards the AFL.

“Rookie contracts are one year, so we are in conversations with Collingwood right now. How long that takes to progress I am not sure,’’ he said.

“But he has had a good year and played senior footy and we are hoping that can continue for the remainder of the year.

“We are looking to do a two-year contract extension.”

Mihocek is expected to take on Sydney on Saturday night despite an ankle sprain that hampered him against Richmond.

McConville lauded Collingwood’s foresight to rookie Mihocek then see his potential as a key forward.

“We had all the faith in Brody and his ability to play at the highest level and he just needed a club to back him in and take a chance with a mature-ager and we are very fortunate Collingwood gave him that opportunity.

“He was playing solid footy as a defender and we always knew he could play both ends of the ground, he had the flexibility to play forward and back and they didn’t pigeonhole him as a one-trick pony.

“So for a club to envisage he could play that role going forward was a really good thing.”

Mihocek’s elevation is one of a number of remarkable football stories this year that include this week’s debut for Nathan Freeman and Alex Johnson’s return to football.

Stopped Reading at John Ralph as almost Certain it be Clickbait

It’s not clickbait TD.

It’s Mihocek’s manager negotiating his payday through the media

It's a provocative headline but his agent is entitled to fight a case for a contract extension for his client. Mihocek is clearly worth a two year extension and we should give him one based on his performance this year. A performance based contract similar to Dunn I imagine which won't cost us a lot of money.

The new rules (from 2017) regarding Cat A rookies would mean we can keep him on the rookie list next year and not take up a senior list spot? If he receives a contract he's happy to sign it should play out like that I reckon, was that similar with JT the last few years?

The new rules (from 2017) regarding Cat A rookies would mean we can keep him on the rookie list next year and not take up a senior list spot? If he receives a contract he's happy to sign it should play out like that I reckon, was that similar with JT the last few years?

Not aware that the recent changes have altered/reduced/negated our capacity to retain him on the rookie list on an agreed salary for the duration of an extension. It could be a useful option if we'll have limited senior spots available and he was agreeable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back