Play Nice Bye Bye Brad #3 [Locked: BS signs 2-year ext. Aug-2017, tied to NM until end 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any new assistant coaches/ development coaches should NOT be big names. Too often in the AFL ( at all levels) we look at a very small pool of people and many get recycled from one ( often highly paid) job to another.
Luke Beveridge coached in the amateurs but keen observers saw him take his club to multiple flags in increasingly competitive grades. Don Pyke was a businessman, board member and local coach before he was targeted.
Please don't say Robert Harvey (Brownlow medallist, must be a good coach), Jimmy Bartel ( champion player, good head for TV but no coaching experience), etc.
Find someone who has proven that they can teach skills at a high level, read the game and provide insight ( not read a sheet of stats) and bring a new perspective to our game plan which is very mundane and stale at the moment.

Axed North stars endorse Scott

By SEN 9 minutes ago

Drew Petrie and Nick Dal Santo, a pair of players Brad Scott axed at the end of last year, have endorsed their former coach to remain at the helm of North Melbourne.

It has been reported the Kangaroos have offered Scott a two-year contract extension, which would tie him to the club until the end of 2020. Scott has been linked to the vacant Gold Coast Suns coaching role, but his former teammates believe he is the right man to lead North forward.

“He certainly did great things for my career and the footy club,” Petrie told SEN’s The Run Home.

“I know the boys finished 15th but there were fixe-or-six games that they were right in. They challenged the top sides. You saw the emergence of a lot of kids; Ben Brown had a fantastic year. You can take plenty of positive things from what he has done this year.

“I hope he gets the position. I think he is a great coach and I can’t speak highly of Brad and what he did while I was there.”

Petrie, who played 316 games and kicked 428 goals for the Roos, also admitted the call not to keep him at the club at the end of 2016 was the right move.

The 34-year-old announced his retirement this week and is about to embark on a finals campaign with West Coast.

“You look at how things have gone this year and he has made the right call,” Petrie said.

“The call not to give me another contract was a hard one but you look at how Brown went this year and I’m happy I got out of the way.

“His strength of his character was shown when he was able to make tough decisions when there was backlash. You look 12 months down the track and you ask yourself if he made the right decisions, and you say yes.”

Dal Santo, who made 62 appearances in the blue and white jumper, echoed Petrie’s sentiments.

“It’s a good move,” he told SEN Afternoons, about North offering Scott a new deal.

“I’m perfectly comfortable with Brad Scott remaining at North Melbourne. I never really understood the external noise of him going to the Gold Coast. The only part of that that made sense was Brad being able to extend his coaching career.

“The way Brad always spoke, the players at North have never felt like he was going to leave. It was always about building and getting better.”

I believe that we do need to look at our assistant coaching team and add some new fresh blood in there... Josh Drummond and Leigh Tudor can stay... the others might need to either move to the VFL / WAFL squad or move on. If we can snag someone like S. Thompson [Ade] or Bartel to our coaching team we should pounce.

Another advantage of having our own VFL team is that we can have our own VFL coach. They can both run off the same "playbook" as well as potentially being a proper competitive proving ground for the AFL team. A lot of hidden advantages to the VFL team really when you go past the concept of players playing with the same group as they mature. Branding, community integration, trial of strategy, giving assistant coaches more opportunities to act as head coach - a lot of potential there really.

If Brad isn't pushed to GC (unlikely), which i'm fine with so long as no extension, at a minimum we need to change some assistants.

Get some fresh ideas, the younger players have been with them lomg enough so lets have some fresh input to the players and Brad himself.

2 gone at a minimum, can only bring positives going forward as Brad would already know what they've tried to teach.

Yeah get with the program. Mitchell signed a deal to play and coach after this year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Indeed. It was actually the driving factor in him agreeing to join WC, playing was just a bonus.

This is generally the point where the whole f*** Brad off thing falls down.

The field almost completely narrows to:
Brett Rattan
Rodney EAD Eade
Chocko Williams

Rattan the only real maybe for mine there.

Even then he didn't set the world on fire at Carlton.

A new coach and we write off a decent chunk of time depending on what they want to change.

FWIW I don't think we should extend Brad unless it is absolutely critical to getting Martin &/ or Kelly.
Don't see why we have to write off a decent chunk of time with a new coach. Simmo did ok at the Eagles, Bevo and Pyke have gone ok as well. But we do need someone with the experience of running their own team. I was watching a Peter Sumich interview from the u18's anf thought it was good to see him taking charge of a team. He could be a smokey.

. I was watching a Peter Sumich interview from the u18's anf thought it was good to see him taking charge of a team. He could be a smokey.
And as an unproven entity he could be a smashing success.

Or Tim Watson.

And instread stick with a proven entity as a smashing success.

Or Rodney Eade.

What?

Who's suggesting Brad is a smashing success?

This you trying to put words in other people's mouths?

Meaning going with an "unproven" entity is risky, as it is keep throwing money at coaches who despite experience don't deliver.

Eade hasn't delivered. Buckley hasn't delivered. Scott has partially delivered, it's also risky extending him as a "proven" entity.

I'm fine with Brad getting an extension but there are plenty of assistants ready to ply their trade with plenty of experience as assistants coaches. They could even be more succesfull as Bevo and others have proven.

Dew,Tudor to name a few so I'm ok with an apprentice as assistant or coach if it came to that.

Another advantage of having our own VFL team is that we can have our own VFL coach. They can both run off the same "playbook" as well as potentially being a proper competitive proving ground for the AFL team. A lot of hidden advantages to the VFL team really when you go past the concept of players playing with the same group as they mature. Branding, community integration, trial of strategy, giving assistant coaches more opportunities to act as head coach - a lot of potential there really.
As it was beneficial with the Reserves (and U19's) of the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't see why we have to write off a decent chunk of time with a new coach. Simmo did ok at the Eagles, Bevo and Pyke have gone ok as well. But we do need someone with the experience of running their own team. I was watching a Peter Sumich interview from the u18's anf thought it was good to see him taking charge of a team. He could be a smokey.

I heard Sumich interviewed on a show about 4 months ago. Can't say I'm sold with him but he is an interesting choice for sure.

I heard Mick McGuane on SEN today and he was very impressive as an assistant. The man had lots of football smarts.

Here's the interview.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=127728 via @whooshkaa

Last edited:
Meaning going with an "unproven" entity is risky, as it is keep throwing money at coaches who despite experience don't deliver.

Eade hasn't delivered. Buckley hasn't delivered. Scott has partially delivered, it's also risky extending him as a "proven" entity.

For every Clarkson how many are there of Watters, Craig, Neeled, Watson, McCartney.

Right now given the state of our list, the irons in the fire, and how risk averse the club is, staying with Brad is likely seen as the most stable result.

For every Clarkson how many are there of Watters, Craig, Neeled, Watson, McCartney.

Right now given the state of our list, the irons in the fire, and how risk averse the club is, staying with Brad is likely seen as the most stable result.

I don't necessarily disagee with you on this.

There's far more failures than success stories in footy coaches.

But Brad is contacted. We (North) reserve the right to extend or say goodbye at end of that.

His extension should not hinge on a free agent acquisition, we have no need to rush decisions with a year to run.

Get Kelly/Martin (if we do), assess midway next year.

You talk of stability, well we are as he's our contracted coach for next year and outside the media hysteria there's no reason to question that.

You talk of stability, well we are as he's our contracted coach for next year and outside the media hysteria there's no reason to question that.
I've addressed this.

FWIW I don't think we should extend Brad unless it is absolutely critical to getting Martin &/ or Kelly.

We should do everything, absolutely everything we can to secure two top ten players in the comp.

If this means having Brad for more time then so be it.

Watching the last few games. The game plan isn't too bad. Just need to make a few tweaks.

Sure but has there ever been a coach that has won a premiership after 8 years at a single club?

We should do everything, absolutely everything we can to secure two top ten players in the comp.

If this means having Brad for more time then so be it.

Well that's completely baseless, and i have no reason to think either player thinks a near wooden spoon coach is reason to join North.

It's money related for both players, more so Martin.

They couldn't give a s**t who coached if earning 1mil plus a season over very long term deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back