Play Nice Bye Bye Brad #3 [Locked: BS signs 2-year ext. Aug-2017, tied to NM until end 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adelaide 23.1 disposals per goal.
GWS 26.6
Geelong 25.4
Port 25.2
Melbourne 27.3
Richmond 29.0
West Coast 29.9

Dogs 35.3
St Kilda 33
Fremantle 33.5
Sydney 28.5
Collingwood 32.3
Gold Coast 31.2
Carlton 34.1
North 27.7
Hawthorn 38.5
Brisbane 29.8

That tells us more than the 30+ possessions thing does.

Do agree but it's a bit like the leg speed vs speed of ball movement argument in terms of being misleading but partly true. No you don't need players getting it 50 times for no effect but you do need some players with the ability to actually accumulate quality possession over a full game.

That's true but 30 is essentially a random number that doesn't tell us anything other than its got a different digit in front of it than twenty something.

When it comes to quality possession why is 30 a better number than 27? And why does that have anything to do with whether we should sack the coach?

Basically a number that measured high efficient possessions by players vs wins and possible overall mid/flanker possessions vs wins or spread of possies over important players in a side would tell us more. But I've wasted enough time counting goals per possession cos I couldn't find it online so someone else can do that.

GWS 26.6
Geelong 25.4
Port 25.2
Melbourne 27.3
Richmond 29.0
West Coast 29.9

Dogs 35.3
St Kilda 33
Fremantle 33.5
Sydney 28.5
Collingwood 32.3
Gold Coast 31.2
Carlton 34.1
North 27.7
Hawthorn 38.5
Brisbane 29.8

that shows that we are good when we get it, but the 30+ shows we aren't getting it enough! Every other team has kicked the ball more times than us!

that shows that we are good when we get it, but the 30+ shows we aren't getting it enough! Every other team has kicked the ball more times than us!

What I find most interesting about that stat right now is that the top 4 all have a lower ratio of disposals to goals than everyone else and no one in the 8 scores goals at 30 disposals per goal or higher.

The lowest ratios outside the 8 belong to the Swans, us and Brisneyland. The only sides below 30 possies per goal outside the 8. The Swans seem like the best of those sides when they are on, but if we'd kicked 3 more goals over the course of 3 games we'd be in a lot better position (we didn't and that is why we are where we are but it indicates we might be a better team than our ladder position suggests.) Brissie? Who knows. The whole thing may be a meaningless coincidence anyway.

Also wrt to your comments ... do we turn the ball over more than other sides? It seems that way and if so it means we get it enough but don't keep it.

But you are right that we don't kick it enough and when we handball too much we tend to lose. Couple that with the lowest number of kicks in the league and its not a good look.

GWS 26.6
Geelong 25.4
Port 25.2
Melbourne 27.3
Richmond 29.0
West Coast 29.9

Dogs 35.3
St Kilda 33
Fremantle 33.5
Sydney 28.5
Collingwood 32.3
Gold Coast 31.2
Carlton 34.1
North 27.7
Hawthorn 38.5
Brisbane 29.8

It tells us we need to be closer to 23 per goal!

It tells us we need to be closer to 23 per goal!

A few less handballs. We cut teams apart with them at times but we should be using the boot more too. Better more confident kicking is something we need. Along with a sports shrink imo.

I have never really been a big Brad basher but his inability to move to Plan B is staggering.

On Friday night it was clear 15 minutes into the game that we were in trouble yet there were no positional changes at all. We lined up with the exact same players in the exact same positions at the start of every quarter (may have been a flanker changed to wing at most).

The only time I saw anything change was at about the 10 minute mark of the last qtr when JZ was moved deep with all the other forwards up the ground a bit. That was about the same time that I was leaving the game in disgust so I am not sure if that move lasted long but I did note we kicked 5 goals after that pretty quickly.

Would make me sleep easier at night, coincidentally we've won the exact same amount of games as Hawthorn.

HAWTHORN coach Alastair Clarkson has all but conceded the Hawks won't feature in the finals for the first time since 2009.

The Hawks are second-last on the ladder with a 4-8 win/loss record and a percentage of 76.7 heading into Thursday night's clash with ladder leaders Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.

"It's highly, highly unlikely we're even going to make finals, let alone do anything significant in September this year," Clarkson told reporters on Wednesday.

"It's about putting together things with our younger players and also our method of play that gives us the best chance to win silverware at some point in the future.

"That's what our clear focus will be this week against the Crows, the following week against Collingwood and then the last eight rounds of the season - we'll continue to have that focus and give our fans some hope we'll see some silverware soon."

- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-21/finals-off-the-radar-for-hawks-clarkson

Would make me sleep easier at night, coincidentally we've won the exact same amount of games as Hawthorn.

HAWTHORN coach Alastair Clarkson has all but conceded the Hawks won't feature in the finals for the first time since 2009.

The Hawks are second-last on the ladder with a 4-8 win/loss record and a percentage of 76.7 heading into Thursday night's clash with ladder leaders Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.

"It's highly, highly unlikely we're even going to make finals, let alone do anything significant in September this year," Clarkson told reporters on Wednesday.

"It's about putting together things with our younger players and also our method of play that gives us the best chance to win silverware at some point in the future.

"That's what our clear focus will be this week against the Crows, the following week against Collingwood and then the last eight rounds of the season - we'll continue to have that focus and give our fans some hope we'll see some silverware soon."

- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-21/finals-off-the-radar-for-hawks-clarkson
To be fair, the guy with four flags in the past decade is in a totally different position with his players/Board/supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, the guy with four flags in the past decade is in a totally different position with his players/Board/supporters.

Yes I agree, but it seems they aren't living in denial, I mention at work we're still a finals chance and I'm backing in our coach- peeps larf and walk off.

Yes I agree, but it seems they aren't living in denial, I mention at work we're still a finals chance and I'm backing in our coach- peeps larf and walk off.
I would larf too, and I would never say such a thing to another human being.

So who is to blame for this?

View attachment 383558

Close to the most damning / insightful piece of data I have seen in a long while. Given all the noise, stats, opinion, talkback and emotion floating around out there - the fact is that our current players can't find the ball. As hard, courageous and loyal as they are, we aren't going to be competitive in the modern game if we can't dominate or even break even in possession across the ground.

Brad has his challenges / issues but I find it hard to see how he can be the single source of blame when the players just don't / can't perform to standards required.

I'll accept that years of honourable 10-4th placings may have something to do with it and more than ever am convinced that strong elements of both drafting and development have been sub par over the last decade.

Success is mostly based upon having access to true talent - which in turn is dependent on successful identification / access to the best emerging talent and then being able to continue to develop that talent once onboard.

We need a major overhaul. Last year's new recruitment team made a few bold choices that raised a few eyebrows. Certainly some project players in the mix.

We look set to go hard for some proven talent and I hope we go as hard as possible to secure several at once - not just one or two.

The club know that we've moved a mile on from the last 3-4 year strategy of believing a few opportunistic complimentary FA role players will be enough to get us there. Look at our list - all but a half dozen are realistically replaceable.

This is going to require a similar strategy of going to the market for established talent. But rather than the top up fringe / finishing touches we targeted in recent years I think we are actually looking to find the nucleus of a new core entirely. Massive challenge. We really need to land at least 2 of the big names we've heard being discussed. And seriously look at the support / development resources at the club.

I would larf too, and I would never say such a thing to another human being.

After every loss this season I sulked away, certain that we couldn't make finals.
By Wednesday of every week I am doing calculations on the ladder, reminiscing about the Adelaide game and convincing myself we are still a chance.

It makes attending the matches amongst the 13,000 other North faithful a bit more interesting.

When Brad Scott started at NM, he made it very clear he wanted us to get away from the shinboner identity and win games with talent. Now he wants us to reclaim our shinboner identity. Is he for real? Staggering.
But he is leaving an overarching legacy. :stern look

Anyone else jealous seeing a Longmire led team come back from 5 goals down?

Just imagine watching your team come back from 5 goals down instead of always being the one the loses when 5 goals up.
Could change a couple of words about them come back but the jist is the same!

* Dusty and Kelly get Horse and Blakes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back