Play Nice Bye Bye Brad #3 [Locked: BS signs 2-year ext. Aug-2017, tied to NM until end 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Other than Tarrant, I can't think of any player who Brad has developed properly in his time at North. Maybe Brown? That is the problem. A big problem.

Continuing the out of body perspective since Friday night. If this was a team I don't support, who had got to final four a couple of times but no further and decided to "aggressively reset", had moved out seven entrenched senior players between the end of one season and round 5 of the next, and whose form had thereafter shown glimpses of being amazingly good, games of being turgidly bad, and a general lack of direction and consistency, I would think that would be about what you'd expect.

I was cool with stepping back this year until the Adelaide game, when (along with crazy results everywhere else) North's form made me think maybe anything was possible this season. Now I'd rather go back to limited expectations.

But that doesn't necessarily mean I want the club and team to. Wins over good opposition this season, and genuinely encouraging close losses, are just as real as the terrible losses, even though longer ago. They have it in them to be much better than the past two weeks. And they don't have to turn up their toes for the rest of 2017 just so I can relax into a "rebuilding" mindset.

Low finishes are good for drafting. Higher finishes are better for attracting players in the system already. There's no path to success sure enough to choose losing.

Goldstein, Gibson, Garner.

Players that have been dogged by injury but seemed to develop well otherwise include Wright, Jacobs, even Wood who isn't in his best form but still isn't s**t. Nowhere near as bad as some on here have suggested.

I would say Cunnington and Macmillan have both become good players. People expect more of Cunnington but he is in career best form over the whole year and gets targeted every week. Mullett is a spud yet everyone was singing his praises two weeks ago.

It could also be argued that Higgins and Waite have played better football here than at their previous clubs.

I'm not saying he is the development guru but he isn't as s**t at it as people make out.

And if the likes of Mountford, Clarke, Neilson and Durdin turn out to be as good as we'd hope then you can add them to that list too. Preuss maybe.

:drunk: This guy is ******* delusional please North Melbourne board of directors * this potato off and bring in a coach that can summon the shin boner spirit . Scott has introduced the squib boner spirit . image.jpeg

No top 4 finishes at the end of the regular season in 9 years tells the story in itself. Hell a 9-0 start last year and he still couldn't bring it home. ******* limped into the finals only to be smashed again. Can't wait until this squib is gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who is to blame for this?

View attachment 383558
I'm old enough to remember when scoring with as few possessions as possible was a good thing. When we won games, or had close losses, no one was counting how many time Cunnington or Ziebell got the ball. Now it's the stat of the week.

View attachment 383558

Why is this meaningful? Is the number of possessions our players get related to our ladder position? How?

The four teams directly above us are either in the 8 or one place outside it. Have 30+ games by players helped the squawks or brions? We've only won 4 games and 3 of them have been against top 5 teams on that list.

View attachment 383558
Last year I did a thread entitled "Lachie Neale 16 defeats North Melbourne 15" which referenced our 30+ games for last season as follows:

Harvey 31 32
Cunnington 32
Wells 31 31 30
Ziebell 30
MacMillan 31 31 30
Dal Santo 33 31
Gibson 36 34 33
Swallow 0 (just thought I'd throw that in for interest's sake)

Consider that we've lost Harvey, Dal Santo and Wells out of that and there is half of our 30+ potential game ballwinners gone with no-one else filling that void currently.

Those 3 were all very good ball users as well.

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remember when scoring with as few possessions as possible was a good thing. When we won games, or had close losses, no one was counting how many time Cunnington or Ziebell got the ball. Now it's the stat of the week.

Do agree but it's a bit like the leg speed vs speed of ball movement argument in terms of being misleading but partly true. No you don't need players getting it 50 times for no effect but you do need some players with the ability to actually accumulate quality possession over a full game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back