Cairns stabbing tragedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like Pakistan. There are no words, some just have no capacity for humanity and/or are just truly truly sick. Something has gone very very wrong in society when this keeps happening. I don't know but clearly this is a massive issue that needs addressing.

While white ribbon etc etc serve an important purpose they don't go near addressing serious either structural or cultural problems in society. It is very very hard as people are responsible for their own choices and we can't tell people how to live (I'm not referring to criminality in this case but rather the lead up to circumstance) yet there is a large group of people that are very very disaffected, angry and locked out of society. While I am in no way ever excusing the actions (frankly just death penalty here) the very real issues need addressing. if that means addressing uncomfortable truths so be it. We just can't continue with society going at this rate.

What does this mean?

"While I am in no way ever excusing the actions (frankly just death penalty here) the very real issues need addressing"

I think the Death Penalty should be bought back for certain crimes. Murdering children definitely one of them. Some people are just not salvageable. There are however circumstances and conditions that lead to this that need addressing. (Similar to how you can't go about addressing terroism without acknowledging the Islamic connection you can not begin to address the issue of children been murdered in Australia without addressing and attempting to find out the social conditions that lead to this. It really has been a s**t week. And in 2014 that is saying something. In the context of World Events 2014 is the worse year I can remember in my life.

Does one have to be a (insert racial background, cultural background or religious affiliation) terrorist or is a terrorist just a terrorist?

That was kinda my point, not sure why people jump straight to terrorist when bad things happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone seems to have assumed the mother is the perpetrator (admittedly this seems the most likely to me as well), but as far as I know there hasn't been anything concrete to suggest she is.

Everyone seems to have assumed the mother is the perpetrator (admittedly this seems the most likely to me as well), but as far as I know there hasn't been anything concrete to suggest she is.
True, but the lines are there to be read through:

1 - There are no suspects, nor are the police looking for one.
2 - The community has been informed that they are not in danger (ie: the offender is not at large)
3 - Media outlets reporting the story are giving the 'lifeline' number afterwards, which indicates a suicide, or a suicide attempt.

Just like Pakistan. There are no words, some just have no capacity for humanity and/or are just truly truly sick. Something has gone very very wrong in society when this keeps happening. I don't know but clearly this is a massive issue that needs addressing.

While white ribbon etc etc serve an important purpose they don't go near addressing serious either structural or cultural problems in society. It is very very hard as people are responsible for their own choices and we can't tell people how to live (I'm not referring to criminality in this case but rather the lead up to circumstance) yet there is a large group of people that are very very disaffected, angry and locked out of society. While I am in no way ever excusing the actions (frankly just death penalty here) the very real issues need addressing. if that means addressing uncomfortable truths so be it. We just can't continue with society going at this rate.
What are these issues/cultural problems in society, and what is this large group of people you're referring to?
I also don't see what the point of bringing back the death penalty would be. I would've thought that having the death penalty would be more indicitive of societal/cultural problems. Just look at the US.

How this woman was allowed to keep breeding is beyond me.
How is this even relevant?
My wife is one of nine...every one employed with families and great people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back