Callan Ward - Part 2 - Officially gone to GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if you guys are expecting 2 1st round draft picks you will be disappointed.

The money Ward is estimated to be getting isn't too dissimilar to that which Bock, Rishi and Brennan were offered - and they got end of 1st round draft picks. (Tier 3 Compo)

Given age is a factor - I would be surprised if your compo wasn't solely a 1st round pick (Tier 2 Compo) after your first selection - most likely used in 2012.

I agree.
Which means they'll effectively get pick 8 (or so) for Ward.

Lets all please remember he is likely to sign a 4 year deal and he is one who is close to his family and the region.

So in four years time when he is again out of contract and the dogs put their hands up to get him back....and GWS can only offer him what we are offering him.....will you all have the same attitude when a 26/27 year old gun midfielder is available ????

TAKE EMOTION OF IT AND REALISE HE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION FOR HIS FUTURE !!! OUR WINDOW WILL BE OPENING IN 3 to 4 YEARS SO HE MAY BE ONE THAT JUMPS THROUGH IT !

Yeah that's right - take the emotion out of it, spread the cheeks and cop it.

That's the Bulldogs way!:rolleyes:

I agree.
Which means they'll effectively get pick 8 (or so) for Ward.

His age will work in his favour. No offence to all Bulldogs supporters but I don't think he is worth two first round compensation picks. Rischitelli wasn't and was the Lions B&F. Although the equivalent of a top 10 pick alone probably doesn't do the Bullies justice. Top ten pick and a second or third rounder should be the compo.

His age will work in his favour. No offence to all Bulldogs supporters but I don't think he is worth two first round compensation picks. Rischitelli wasn't and was the Lions B&F. Although the equivalent of a top 10 pick alone probably doesn't do the Bullies justice. Top ten pick and a second or third rounder should be the compo.

B&F and whatever Rischi got is irrelevant, it's Age & Contract Offered it's not the same formula as with GC.

rischitelli was offered 500-600k? brennan was a trade not a uncontracted signing so he is irrelevant. Given Ward is getting around 875k and is younger than riska I'd think we have a chance at band 1 with band 2 being a minimum.

Brennan was both a trade and an uncontracted signing - so not irrelevant at all. If you recall GC exploited a loophole and Brisbane got compo for him - which i believe they traded to GC anyway. And he was rumoured to be on $750k - add the TPP inflation of say 4% - that brings him to $780k per annum - very much in the same ballpark.

Where I think you guys can take advantage is in the next 2 years - work with GWS to exploit the rule that GC & Brisbane did.

Let's assume WB think that Gia is not in their plans going forward. Release him from his contract and let GWS recruit him.

This would then trigger say an end of 1st round pick compo - Say pick 19 for 2012.

You guys then trade that compo pick to GWS for say pick 11 this year.

In the end you have traded Gia (or someone) for pick 11 and GWS get Gia and the compo pick - both of you end up ahead.

watch out all you doggies fans, its likely he isnt going to be the only one leaving the kennel and heading gws bound.. keep an eye on the news in the next few weeks

If players didn't want to be found on social networking pages, they shouldn't have them (there is plenty of them). Saying that, can't say why I'd bother PMing that turncoat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so if he told the players mid week he was goneskiis

was he allowed to play in rd 24 as a thank you for your services?

says a bit about the club i think

and Williams

watch out all you doggies fans, its likely he isnt going to be the only one leaving the kennel and heading gws bound.. keep an eye on the news in the next few weeks

If you're referring to Sam Reid - that's hardly earth-shattering news.

so if he told the players mid week he was goneskiis

was he allowed to play in rd 24 as a thank you for your services?

says a bit about the club i think

and Williams

The unofficial story is the players voted for him to play.

Realistically he is a midfielder, we haven't lost a power full forward, or a gun ruckman, he will be replaced, by hopefully a better player, with another one up our sleeve.

My only sadness is that he was a Western Suburbs boy, and I would have expected a bit more loyalty but that's the breaks.

ease up Logi todays been hard enough for alot of them:thumbsu:

now just need Scully, Palmer, Brown and others to come out

but our Cal was their number 1

The unofficial story is the players voted for him to play.

Do you reckon maybe that's a little soft? Football is mainly played between the ears, so psychologically wouldn't a team be tougher and more uncompromising if they have an us vs them mentality. Very easy to see why we have rarely stood up under pressure with players making decisions like this. Darcy, Grant, Johnson and others readily admit to not speaking to Nathan Brown for a long time after he made his move. Although, conversely I'd like to know whether the vote was unanimous or not.

Say what you want about the Pies but if a player leaves them the reaction is never "oh well I don't blame him". It is normally "How dare you leave the mighty Magpies".

Which Brown?

Also if the Reid rumour is true, I wouldn't be too upset. I have been a fan of him over the last year or so, but after his games this year I don't think he'll cut it, which is unfortunate.

And if he does get traded and we get overs for him as suggested because hes ward's friend then I'm definitely all for it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back