Discussion Can AFL ever relax its away shorts rules like it was during the late 80s and mid-late 2000s, and even follow the AFLW's suite or ideas?

Remove this Banner Ad

The clashes we are talking about are over 100 years old, and they still clash, time doesn’t change this. When Port wears a clash strip the uniform makes sense, because you have a white or light grey back with black numbers. The problem is when Port is at home and the away team is trying to wear an alternative strip to not clash but the white back on Port makes this a mess. I do think you have the right to wear what you please as the home team but it doesn’t help the visual quality of the matches.
I don't see it as being "messy" per se but then again maybe I'm biased. Or I ignore the white and see mostly black.

Honestly in a lot of cases, you could wear the same/similar colour shorts if your jumper was different enough (as we're starting to see in AFLW).

For instance I think Geelong v Carlton/Freo would probably be okay if they were all wearing home shorts, as Geelongs white jumper is significantly different from the solid dark colours.

Prime example here is Bulldogs v North in the AFLW practice match. Yes it's probably nicer if North wore white but this isn't too bad.View attachment 1794346
North should be in white in this instance.

For both the AFL and AFLW.

So why one rule for one competition with the same teams and same colours but not another?

I get why - but surely if there's no issues, then it can be trialled in the Men's save a few matchups.
Because the organisation is steeped in tradition. Dumb, illogical, idiotic and archaic tradition, but apparently tradition lol

Then the rule breaks down. If Geelong are allowed to wear navy shorts due to being the home team and are plying Collingwood, then the Pies will be forced to wear a black jumper with white shorts, making no way of avoiding a clash. This rule fixes that. Whether you think it doesn’t look good is irrelevant, as long as it doesn’t clash it works
Well, no. If we think outside the box, no-one's forcing Collingwood to have black stripes on white, or white stripes on black as the only options. They're not forced to only wear white shorts or black shorts as far as I'm aware.

There should be absolutely nothing stopping them (or Geelong, or any club, especially those with a striped or hooped design) to come up with a completely different third kit, like soccer teams do that wouldn't possibly clash with anything that their traditional kit would.

Unfortunately, most AFL clubs seem to work from the starting point that their clash guernsey should be as close to their home guernsey as possible. When they have a two colour design with one dominant main colour, it works well. When they have more than two colours and/or they have stripes or hoops, it can get a little iffy with certain match-ups.

if brisbane wore their bears jumper against all non-vic opposition they could easily wear royal/maroon shorts with their respective clash jumpers

Would only need to wear white shorts away against Carlton, GC, Melbourne, North (could wear royal if north agreed to wear home/white), Sydney and the Dogs

so 3-4/10 Vic opposition and 2/7 non-vic opposition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back