Opinion Can anyone relate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ghost Pig

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Firstly, apologies for my gibberish prose. Secondly I'm praying the first few replies to this ease my concern and I can go back to shaking my fist at chemtrails, ok here goes...

Basically, I've become worried that having an injury prone, too eloquent, sheep farmer come brownlow medallist come helicopter pilot come millionaire brewery mogul come face of the perth fashion festival come every dads dream son-in-law who would run on a broken leg into a burning building to save your nannas African violet from the upstairs windowsill as the captain of the FFC in this particular period where we need to claw our way out of the condescending gloating sour wine breath mouths of those red cheeked evangelists up the street and back into contention for a flag, is leading us to another dead end.

I mean hes brilliant and Im glad hes ours, but...

How many flag winning teams can you name where the most freakish talent on the list was also the captain?

I'm sure Fyfe believes in himself and I'm sure everyone in the organisation believes in him but can a super-human really inspire others to believe in themselves? Or does his dreamy gaze and silky, confident way with words just induce drooling nods of agreeance from all in his sphere of influence?

Please help me through this tough off season.

As an Eagles fan I would have Fyfe in my side, no question.....

.....but you have to admit he is a bit of a odd sort of legend, though.

EDIT: "odd sort of legend". Doesnt exactly convey my thoughts appropriately, but sure mods, lets go with that. :p

Last edited:

It's only fairly recently, during the era of effort football, that more reliable role players have been captain.

I think it was a result of the more talented impact players having to perform super human feats of skill to be seen rising above to lead their team, to inspire them. You could tag the captain out and let that filter through the team.

Then hard working role players started being given the captaincy who would set the example and lead the way with massive efforts mostly around working hard, diving on the ball, sticking close to their man, 1%rs etc.

Lots of defensive players became captains.

Must admit I would kind of like it he gave up the modelling and got a John Worsfold haircut this preseason

Ghost Pig

You forgot the meditation part of the enigma of the man.

And yes - perfect captain for us. Throws the team on his back and carries them with him.

Next best guy for captain is a work-horse accumulator and he's about to piss off to Brisbane.

Fyfe is the man.

Well there's North who won two flags on Carey's shoulders.

Voss at Brisbane, Hird at the Bombers. I'm sure there's plenty more.

Judd.

It's a bit silly really. The bloke is our best player, by all reports a fanatical trainer.

Just rubs people up wrong if they can't stand people who are a bit different. Seems to be a pretty good leader of men and setter of examples.

Honestly this thread reminds me of the 'Hurn, not a captain's a-hole' comments you'd see every 5 seconds on the West Coast board the last few years. Different, not s**t.

Did anyone catch bob murphy’s Interview with him....the part when someone said to him on the field,
“dont be such an individual” to which he thought, “mate, that’s the biggest compliment you could give me”......he lost me instantly after I saw that.
It hurts to say it but gee Shannon Huron is a great captain, no frills, leader, every day man, I hate the scum with a passion but he’s a beauty....even with his busted scon.

He does make me cringe sometimes. I would have his babies if that was biologically possible. But that dosnt mean he should captain. There is something about him that dosnt say team player

What's him being into fashion got anything to do with being a good captain?

I love the fact he's not a stereotype of a footballer. We need to open our minds.

On the flip side, you have your typical "bloke" footballer in Tex Walker who seems like one of the worst captains in the league right now.

I could just imagine his prep talk.
It would go something like this "Guys, I know there is no I in team but if you swap a few letters around there is ME".

I have watched a few of his interviews and he comes across as some one that is so far removed from reality that he comes from a parallel universe.

That is just my opinion and that might be the norm for young people these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having met him a couple of times, the second time he initiated the conversation, I can tell you that he is a genuinely nice person.
People mistake his intelligence combined with a healthy idea of self worth with a figjam attitude, but he is both caring and thoughtful.
Most of the great players have self confidence. Heck, imagine if Stephen had Bradley Hill's attitude. We'd have a superstar there.
I liked the op as it was well written & humorous, but people criticising Fyfe are way off IMO

This board is going insane.

If the players see fit to vote him captain, then he deserves it. Can’t see them voting for a complete F head.

None of us would know what he’s like in team meetings, one on one at training, in the huddle etc etc.

Gonna be a long off season for the purps with these threads

Having met him a couple of times, the second time he initiated the conversation, I can tell you that he is a genuinely nice person.
People mistake his intelligence combined with a healthy idea of self worth with a figjam attitude, but he is both caring and thoughtful.

Did you meet him in public or at a function where he was paid to be nice?

A Captain should be all for the players and the club and inspire the players to pull together as a team to play for the club.
To me, he thinks he is above the club with pictures of him in his F7 jumper and his own merchandise.
I mean he was so disappointed when we drafted him.

Heck, imagine if Stephen had Bradley Hill's attitude.

Where with Brad Hill I see him as being a cheeky bugger. It must be the grin.

If the players see fit to vote him captain, then he deserves it.
I know, but there were rumblings that the voting system is a bit skewed.

Sorry for shitting on your Fyfe back slap thread I will keep my thoughts to myself from now on.

ffs... Freo were the team he least wanted to be drafted to. We drafted him, and he accepted it and developed into the best player in the AFL. He re-signed on a long term contract on less money than he could have got elsewhere because he wanted/wants to setup Freo for its first premiership.

All sounds very selfish and unCaptain-like :rolleyes:

What is with this (tall poppy) Australian male BS where we get jealous of other males working their butt off to succeed both on and off the field, and resort to attacking their character? We should be celebrating footballers setting themselves up for post football life.

I love how some simultaneously criticise the club for not setting high enough standards and attack a guy renowned for setting some of the highest personal standards in the AFL. I couldn't care less if he isn't as warm and fuzzy within the playing group as others - I'd rather choose a leader who sets high standards and inspires others to them.

It's only fairly recently, during the era of effort football, that more reliable role players have been captain.

I think it was a result of the more talented impact players having to perform super human feats of skill to be seen rising above to lead their team, to inspire them. You could tag the captain out and let that filter through the team.

Then hard working role players started being given the captaincy who would set the example and lead the way with massive efforts mostly around working hard, diving on the ball, sticking close to their man, 1%rs etc.

Lots of defensive players became captains.
I wouldn't call Hodge a role player, defensive certainly. Same with Cotchin - maybe he turned himself into a role player, but he's not like Tom Harley or Nick Maxwell. Hurn only looks like a role player because he's fairly no nonsense and unassuming, but his kick is one of the biggest weapons in the comp - a zone / press breaker.

I think defensive players make good captains (or maybe it's the other way around) because the most important thing in footy is having your leaders marshall he defence on field, and basically if your captain is telling you to get back into position, who are you to argue?

That said, I can't think of any defensive players we've had or have now that would make a better captain than Fyfe. Someone with the talent of Johnson and none of the off field issues probably.

I think defensive players make good captains (or maybe it's the other way around) because the most important thing in footy is having your leaders marshall he defence on field, and basically if your captain is telling you to get back into position, who are you to argue?

That said, I can't think of any defensive players we've had or have now that would make a better captain than Fyfe.
Agree with this. I don't necessarily think they need to be Captain but I think teams with strong on-field leadership behind the ball is a massive plus. Crossing fingers Alex Pearce can not only get his fitness back to 100% to play out a full season but also take the next step with his leadership. Possibly why I prefer Walters being a permanent forward next season as well - our forward line is completely devoid of leadership when he isn't there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back