Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

:thumbsu:

Ever since Newnes arrived at Carlton as a delisted free agent, you can’t wipe the smile off his face.

“I’m loving it, mate,” Newnes says.
“I feel a million bucks. I’m at ground zero again and I’m loving that feeling. I just want to throw myself into everything.”

Newnes is a very good pickup for us.

Very underrated on this forum.

I agree - I’m surprised by the number of people on here who don’t have him in their calculations for our Best 22. I don’t claim to be an expert - especially about St Kilda’s list - but what I do know about Newnes is that he fills a need for us. He can run all day, has a mature and durable body and is versatile player. As stated in the article I hope we utilise his tank/speed and use him primarily on the wing or HBF. My only real concern with him is a possible lack of disposal efficiency - but with all due respect to our current midfield I think he’ll at the very least be on a par with most.

The most interesting thing that Newnes had to say, is this -

“I was keen to do anything for the team, whether it be forward or as a defensive forward, but ideally that’s not where I wanted to be playing my footy (long term),” he said.
“When things aren’t going great and the team isn’t winning, there’s a lot of pressure and you get thrown around position-wise and things change.
“During the year — probably the last couple of years — my footy hasn’t been to the sort of standard I have wanted. There’s reasons for that.”

Play players in their best positions and the whole will benefit more often than not.
Mids though have to have a second home, as we can't fit all the guys we want into the team at the one time.
This will show up next year in particular, as we still have Murphy and ECurnow demanding plenty of midfield minutes.....Some are going to miss out.

The most interesting thing that Newnes had to say, is this -

“I was keen to do anything for the team, whether it be forward or as a defensive forward, but ideally that’s not where I wanted to be playing my footy (long term),” he said.
“When things aren’t going great and the team isn’t winning, there’s a lot of pressure and you get thrown around position-wise and things change.
“During the year — probably the last couple of years — my footy hasn’t been to the sort of standard I have wanted. There’s reasons for that.”

Play players in their best positions and the whole will benefit more often than not.
Mids though have to have a second home, as we can't fit all the guys we want into the team at the one time.
This will show up next year in particular, as we still have Murphy and ECurnow demanding plenty of midfield minutes.....Some are going to miss out.

Miss out? You mean depth?

Miss out? You mean depth?

No I don't mean depth.

What Newnes said makes sense to me, as most players prefer playing in the positions they perform best in.
You also have to be careful not to blow premium picks for picking up the similar types if they can't all co-exist.

This makes for perfect sense to me but it's OK if it doesn't for you. Really. It's OK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the Carlton Media team away for the holidays already, and they've got an intern at the desk?

The Harrington profile video has no audio, and the Tayla Harris video is 15 seconds long, and every video on the site starts muted by default..

God these are dull reads. Put it on film, ffs......

Can't you just imagine Teaguey's dulcet tones whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

"Thy, abandon all hope ... you idiot."

Oh my.......loses a little impact since Bolts did it.......

Must be a height/acoustics thing.

Bolts could do ASMR recordings ... 'not too high, not too low', 'it's a process', 'it's not about wins or losses'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back