Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/29/silvagni-reveals-carltons-biggest-flaw/

SOS right on the money here.

Something I'd add to it, this is a symptom of poor/no leadership. To be really a really successful team, as players you need to do a lot you don't want to do. As a player you don't want to chase, run defensively, sacrifice your game, put your body on the line and do things that might/will hurt. But you will do it if you are pushed and you will do it with effort if lead well and if you do it you will be successful.

It's the coach, captain and leadership groups job to do the pushing. Players won't always do what the coach asks if the leadership group are not backing up the coach and pushing them.

IMO our players aren't like this and don't do the team things because leadership is broken and has been broken at Carlton for 20 years.

All these failed coaches, couldn't get the team to play as they wanted because the leadership has always failed to 100% backup, support and relay the coach's message.

We have a long history at appointing the wrong blokes as captain for a start. Whitnall, a bloke who was unprofessional and needed to be sent to a fat farm at times. Kouta, gun player wrong personality, too nice. Judd, gun player, academic, lacked leadership ability, wrong personality, couldn't handle blokes doing the wrong thing, loads of examples where Judd failed as a leader. Murphy, to me seems too much of an introvert, didn't do the hard stuff himself so didn't set a good standard. Cripps/Docherty. No evidence shared captaincy is a good thing. No sign either are captain material, lots of signs they aren't. Looking back Simpson and Curnow would have made great Captains. Jack Silvagni seems like captain material.

Leadership and having a captain who is good at it has been one of Carlton's biggest problems for the last 20 years. It comes through in how you play as individuals and as a team. A teams effort, selflessness, professionalism and courage are a reflection on how they are lead. This stuff SOS has mentioned, all our failed coaches, what we see on TV that makes us cringe. All symptoms of a club lacking leadership.

Voss was an elite captain as a player, I hope he is the one to turn it around. How successful Voss is, a lot of that rests on the shoulders of Cripps and Docherty etc and how strongly they back him up and relay his message to the group.

Last edited:

The HS has decided the forthcoming SPS trade, which will be a disaster for Carlton, is the second most important story behind Victoria’s woeful COVID numbers in today’s HS.

Headline is ‘Blues set to take huge hit on top-10 pick’.

I don’t care what anyone says - negative Carlton stories create click bait.

The HS has decided the forthcoming SPS trade, which will be a disaster for Carlton, is the second most important story behind Victoria’s woeful COVID numbers in today’s HS.

Like I've said before mate good/bad/indifferent - We're ALWAYS the biggest story in town. Always have been

091c7d34-8364-4200-aea0-dc545c367d57_text.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In honour of Diesel's birthday, you have to listen to this interview, he's in absolutely unbelievable form on this interview.

”I struggled my first year up there in ‘86. I won the Brownlow in ‘86.“ 😂

In honour of Diesel's birthday, you have to listen to this interview, he's in absolutely unbelievable form on this interview.

That is some funny sh*t. Had no idea he was as quick witted as that. Still in good form. Great appointment uncompromising but brings that true football spirit with him. It's so bloody bland these days you need someone with that emotional buy in as well to get the club really connected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back