Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

? ducks that mean. Ig someone should tell Franklin, Kennedy, goodes, mcveigh, Parker, locket, Bolton etc they aren't stars?

Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

There is no right or wrong at the time a coach is appointed IMO. There is no magic formula. We sacked ratten too early, but its debateable whether he was ready. He certainly knows the game inside out. Parkin rates him as one of the smartest football brains he has ever met.

Malthouse could have been great with a better list, but the reality was that he was past developing a list, his interest dropped off very quickly- especially with the lack of board support. He ended up alienating everybody on the way out

Bolton was a great coach IMO but again , wasnrt given enough backup in terms of assistant coaches and didnt have the boards faith. He will coach again, and probably do well like Ratts. Good luck to him.

Teague was given the gig because his offence game plan contrasted with Boltons defence first plan, that had us struggling to kick goals. It could have worked, given that BB had given our young team a pretty thorough defensive grounding. Alas we didnt have the small defensive forwards under teague and our midfield was not great at defensive running, both of which put huge pressure on our defence.

Vos, is now the finished article IMO, and our list is much closer to a contending list than we have had in the past 20 years. he has complete support of the board, and has been given some elite assistants. No coaches before him had this support. Voss didnt have it in Brisbane either.

In hindsight we have made some very reactive decisions-

Brittain>> Pagan : Brittains failure was list related , but the board perceived that he was inexperienced, and so appointed the experienced Pagan.
Pagan>> Ratten: Pagans failure was list and AFL sanctions related, the Board perceived that Pagan wasnt a Blues man and wanted a loyal carlton coach
Ratten>> Malthouse: Ratten was setup to fail . He inherited a young talented list inc C Judd. The board thought that a few stars including Murph, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Judd, Walker and Yarran, was enough. But the list didnt run deep. Ratts was too inexperienced, but still got some great results out of the list. In the end he was judged to be too inexperienced and moved on, to be replaced by the Messia -Malthouse.
Malthouse>> Bolton: The board decided that a thorough selection process was in order after the Malthouse disaster. In the end a young inexperienced coach was selected to look after our new crop of players. Despite the obvious talent on the list, they were obviously not ready. Boltons coaching was sound, but it was too hard on very young players, being more suited to a mature list like the successful Hawks-where he had just come from.
Bolton>> teague: Boltons heavily defensive and somewhat boring game plan needed to be replaced. We rarely scored over 100 points. Teague was appointed senior coach and had an instant impact-we started kicking goals. Unfortunately, we let our defensive game go and kept losing.
teague >> Voss: Finally, IMO everything is coming together. We have a talented list with enough depth and experienced, an experienced and enthusiastic coach, a board who is ready to support, everything is aligning.

It seems to me that most clubs never know how their new coach is going to perform. The AFL is littered with unsuccessful ex coaches. Maths says that there will always be way more unsuccessful ones than successful. There can only ever be one premier, and in recent times we have ended towards dynastic premiers like Hawthorn, Richmond, and, IMO melbourne, so the really successful coaches are even more scarce. That carlton has had its fair share of unsuccessful coaches is not that remarkeable IMO.

genuine poty contender

Awwwwww. Take a bow everyone. You are welcome Carlton . :blueheart: No...thank you!

My mug of a Richmond supporter kept telling me why I kept buying memberships for every season since 2000 and kept going to games.

Granted he is only one of those spectator type of bandwagon fans who never buys memberships or goes to games (music and camping is more his passion on weekends) but going to send this to him on WhatsApp later and tell him that these type of moments is what I live for a mad (sometimes to the point of insanity) Bluebagger

nice our ferris gets quoted...

'But as Ferris Beuller once eloquently put in his monologues detailing his rules for life on his day off, “Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mug of a Richmond supporter kept telling me why I kept buying memberships for every season since 2000 and kept going to games.

Granted he is only one of those spectator type of bandwagon fans who never buys memberships or goes to games (music and camping is more his passion on weekends) but going to send this to him on WhatsApp later and tell him that these type of moments is what I live for a mad (sometimes to the point of insanity) Bluebagger

My standard response to people, during our bad times, asking 'Why do you still support that rabble ?' or 'Why do you still buy a membership ?'

Me: "Why - are you a frontrunner and ditch your team when times are bad ??"

Last edited:
My standard response to people, during our bad times, asking 'Why do you still support that rabble ?' or 'Why do you still buy a membership ?'

Me: "Why - are you a frontrunner and ditch your team when times are bad ??"

I dare say these bandwagon Tigers supporters were avid purchases of chicken manure & giblets which they kept sending to Punt Road on a weekly basis

:p

I remember one of those CFC media videos either early in the season or during preseason where they were asking the players who the strongest player at the club is (or it might have been the toughest tackler) and quite a few of them said Hewett. They seemed mightily impressed by how strong he is.
There was a moment in the third quarter against gws when he was running through the middle and received a bit of a hospital handball with a gws player running right at him.

It looked like he was about to be poleaxed but the gws player bounced off him like he'd hit a brick wall and Hewett just casually handballs to another player in our team like nothing had happened.

There is no right or wrong at the time a coach is appointed IMO. There is no magic formula. We sacked ratten too early, but its debateable whether he was ready. He certainly knows the game inside out. Parkin rates him as one of the smartest football brains he has ever met.

Malthouse could have been great with a better list, but the reality was that he was past developing a list, his interest dropped off very quickly- especially with the lack of board support. He ended up alienating everybody on the way out

Bolton was a great coach IMO but again , wasnrt given enough backup in terms of assistant coaches and didnt have the boards faith. He will coach again, and probably do well like Ratts. Good luck to him.

Teague was given the gig because his offence game plan contrasted with Boltons defence first plan, that had us struggling to kick goals. It could have worked, given that BB had given our young team a pretty thorough defensive grounding. Alas we didnt have the small defensive forwards under teague and our midfield was not great at defensive running, both of which put huge pressure on our defence.

Vos, is now the finished article IMO, and our list is much closer to a contending list than we have had in the past 20 years. he has complete support of the board, and has been given some elite assistants. No coaches before him had this support. Voss didnt have it in Brisbane either.

In hindsight we have made some very reactive decisions-

Brittain>> Pagan : Brittains failure was list related , but the board perceived that he was inexperienced, and so appointed the experienced Pagan.
Pagan>> Ratten: Pagans failure was list and AFL sanctions related, the Board perceived that Pagan wasnt a Blues man and wanted a loyal carlton coach
Ratten>> Malthouse: Ratten was setup to fail . He inherited a young talented list inc C Judd. The board thought that a few stars including Murph, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Judd, Walker and Yarran, was enough. But the list didnt run deep. Ratts was too inexperienced, but still got some great results out of the list. In the end he was judged to be too inexperienced and moved on, to be replaced by the Messia -Malthouse.
Malthouse>> Bolton: The board decided that a thorough selection process was in order after the Malthouse disaster. In the end a young inexperienced coach was selected to look after our new crop of players. Despite the obvious talent on the list, they were obviously not ready. Boltons coaching was sound, but it was too hard on very young players, being more suited to a mature list like the successful Hawks-where he had just come from.
Bolton>> teague: Boltons heavily defensive and somewhat boring game plan needed to be replaced. We rarely scored over 100 points. Teague was appointed senior coach and had an instant impact-we started kicking goals. Unfortunately, we let our defensive game go and kept losing.
teague >> Voss: Finally, IMO everything is coming together. We have a talented list with enough depth and experienced, an experienced and enthusiastic coach, a board who is ready to support, everything is aligning.

It seems to me that most clubs never know how their new coach is going to perform. The AFL is littered with unsuccessful ex coaches. Maths says that there will always be way more unsuccessful ones than successful. There can only ever be one premier, and in recent times we have ended towards dynastic premiers like Hawthorn, Richmond, and, IMO melbourne, so the really successful coaches are even more scarce. That carlton has had its fair share of unsuccessful coaches is not that remarkeable IMO.
Excellent work TRN

One of the more switched on posters on this site.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Very good article on the afl web site about our small forwards and the Papley trade falling through. Interesting how highly Owies and Fisher rate in some of their categories.
Isn’t the other point to consider that we recruited Saad with that pick? It’s not just that the kids are doing good Papaley impersonations, it’s that we also brought in a gun at the other end of the ground.

No, that was the year we traded down and grabbed Kenp. Ignore me.

Last edited:
Isn’t the other point to consider that we recruited Saad with that pick? It’s not just that the kids are doing good Papaley impersonations, it’s that we also brought in a gun at the other end of the ground.

No, that was the year we traded down and grabbed Kenp. Ignore me.

Just on the Saad trade it looks like the fact that we coughed up pick 8 (overs at the time) for him is now irrelevant. We were only going to ever take 2 picks that year and ended up with Carroll and Durdin. Not sure I would take any player around pick 8 ahead of them at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back