Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

The way they just spoke about us on First Crack felt really good.

Introduced a stat about Post Clearance work where pretty much the top 4 in that stat is a top 4 team and the bottom 4 is a bottom 4 team.

We ranked 2nd close behind Melbourne and above Brisbane and St Kilda.

Worth a watch

And the digging of knees into his back.
Bloody love that s**t
Agreed. It's the "make them earn it/feel you're there" type attitude that we lost for a long time.

Not dirty, not cheap, just physical play.

Exactly the same as our mids, not easy balls won against the Blues inside - not because of cheap shots, but because Cripps, Kennedy & Hewett will be going in as hard as they can every time and good luck standing up to them all day.

Saad playing at that level easily. You go out to find a player like Saad and you'd struggle. No one is as good at breaking lines and carrying the ball and his defending and kicking this season has been elite. Opposition in real trouble when he has the footy and a bit of space to work in.

It's turned into a real win for us.
was watching the replay today and everytime he was near the ball I watch him closely …. At the time, even though I wanted him badly, I thought pick 8 was a little overs … thought pick 11-13 more fair.

Now I would have been happy to give pick 4-5 if that is what we had. Plays tall, doesn’t fumble, breaks line, awesome kick, composure ….. just a friggen gun! looks like he has kade Simpson longevity too, fingers crossed.

was watching the replay today and everytime he was near the ball I watch him closely …. At the time, even though I wanted him badly, I thought pick 8 was a little overs … thought pick 11-13 more fair.

Now I would have been happy to give pick 4-5 if that is what we had. Plays tall, doesn’t fumble, breaks line, awesome kick, composure ….. just a friggen gun! looks like he has kade Simpson longevity too, fingers crossed.
Has an ability to play well off his man too because he's so quick. Can defend a hot spot but make up ground to get to his man. He's very valuable in a team defence and one on one.

Has an ability to play well off his man too because he's so quick. Can defend a hot spot but make up ground to get to his man. He's very valuable in a team defence and one on one.
What I really like about him is in congestion, not massive congestion but 5-7 players and we are out numbers by at least 1 player he not only wins the ball but then a lot of the time creates his own space, breaks a line or gives it to the best option way more often than not.

at least for the teague years i'd guess we'd rank highly on contested ball gets but very low on this 'new' stat of post stoppage-contested ball gets.

essentially before we'd gamble everything in at the coalface and it looked great if we won but all too often the ball would come out and there'd be the other team attacking the ball outside the stoppage with an outnumber. Anecdotally we've shifted it 180° and part of that is improving options inside.
I used to bang on about this every week(also I was throwing barker and his essendon mate under the bus😂🤭 ) when people said we win clearances -- least now the media say it's a thing..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will that article mean anything on here?
It's a good article, I enjoyed it. Since the time we picked him up, he has been one that I really hoped would excel. Maybe because he is a country lad or maybe it is his canon left peg. Add his elite ability to cover the ground and it really would be a tragedy if he did not make it. Just love to see how Voss has impacted so positively on so many of our player's. Career best form is being shown by quite a few, including Fish, TDK, Charlie, Durds, Saad, Cottrell and a few others. Sensational to see.

I think he's improved in ariel contests since coming to us. I barely trusted him to put a spoil on when he arrived. He's taking contested marks now.

Just watched that vid F_therest posted, have a look at the second last snippet where LoB who could have gone at the ball chose to block Josh Kennedy allowing Hewett/Kennedy to pick up the ground ball and hand ball to Doc on the outside for a clean kick forward.

Classic example of playing for each other and these are the things that supporters may miss while watching a game, but have players like LoB getting selected week after week.

Yes, he just always chooses the right option AND he's stunningly good 1 on 1, with remarkable closing speed to boot.

On O'Brien:

"His delivery by foot into the forward 50 has been a strength, with the Blues scoring a goal from 30.8 per cent of his kicks into attacking 50, ranked third of the top 100 kicks into this area across the competition, according to Champion Data."

Maybe we can cut him some slack for not being perfect at the hard stuff?

He IS improving in this area but there is still work to do.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

On O'Brien:

"His delivery by foot into the forward 50 has been a strength, with the Blues scoring a goal from 30.8 per cent of his kicks into attacking 50, ranked third of the top 100 kicks into this area across the competition, according to Champion Data."

Maybe we can cut him some slack for not being perfect at the hard stuff?

He IS improving in this area but there is still work to do.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes, for everyone critical of O'Brien, sure he's got some areas to work on. And he is working on them.
We will be a better team in September when LOB has got another 12 games of AFL experience into him.

It's a good article, I enjoyed it. Since the time we picked him up, he has been one that I really hoped would excel. Maybe because he is a country lad or maybe it is his canon left peg. Add his elite ability to cover the ground and it really would be a tragedy if he did not make it. Just love to see how Voss has impacted so positively on so many of our player's. Career best form is being shown by quite a few, including Fish, TDK, Charlie, Durds, Saad, Cottrell and a few others. Sensational to see.
Kudos for Voss. All those players have weapons and he has pointed those weapons to parts of the game and system which optimises them. So obvious at one level but to bring it all collectively takes smarts.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Yes, for everyone critical of O'Brien, sure he's got some areas to work on. And he is working on them.
We will be a better team in September when LOB has got another 12 games of AFL experience into him.

Just about every player always has something to work. Just that if you’re not a “hard player” then some football followers will be quick to dig the boots in and conveniently forget the positives - if you ain’t Alpha then you can’t play footy

Think every AFL player that crosses that white line is hard, some are just harder than others. And with players like LoB, their team value is on the outside. They can be just as important to the team as a stoppage “in close” player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back