Oppo Camp Carlton worst season in 122 years: The Evil of Patrick Cripps...

I love seeing Carlton lose

• Yes

Votes: 199 90.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 91 41.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of Silvagnis great problems is, he’s very inarticulate.
So he sounds a bit dumb.

But. At least he stood up to the horrible Wilson.
Never trust someone who never smiles eg C Wilson.
Loved Wilson blubbering and squirming while trying to make it sound like she did not just print rumour and half truth on the matter.
Kept changing to a new point every time SOS shot her down.

Between Wilson and Robbie, it appears the alleged "top Footy writers" are either drunks, have dementia or both. Neither are remotely articulate when using the spoken word, but then they have editors to vet their scrawls.

Loved Wilson blubbering and squirming while trying to make it sound like she did not just print rumour and half truth on the matter.
Kept changing to a new point every time SOS shot her down.

Between Wilson and Robbie, it appears the alleged "top Footy writers" are either drunks, have dementia or both. Neither are remotely articulate when using the spoken word, but then they have editors to vet their scrawls.
And extremely nasty people.

SOS was awesome (spew). However, if you were a blues supporter you would be filthy on the interview as Caro's questions and agenda were on the sensationalism rather than the facts of what Carlton had stuffed up and what they are doing to fix it.

He smashed them as a result and may have been held more accountable if the questions were around decisions made and view of the future rather than office politics. He was a little precious about having to do media street, but was right to call out the vested interests within the media.

He also handled the list questions well and gave answers that had a bit more depth than the apparent trade. E.g. the 4 GWS Giants for whatever pick it was (maybe pick 28) was really to get Plowman for a better pick because they also helped out GWS with cap issues by taking 3 other players that hey knew were not getting a game.

Chris Judd - weak effort.
Caro = when faced with facts her bullcrap articles are like sand through her hands.

While it's fun to heap shite on SOS I'm not sure the reality we want actually matches the reality.

He inherited a poor list, it's been gutted the last 3 years and some decisions on trades were made that were always going to cause more harm than good in the short term.

I'm sure they were hoping for much better this season but they've had a fair few injuries just like us but as yet don't have the same level of depth for cover.

In comparison Buckley inherited a far stronger list but we also turned over a great deal of players across a 3 year period, made the decision to trade some experienced premiership players and initially had a poor strike rate with the recycled players we brought to the club.

The net result being that we tumbled out of finals contention but with that strong core group of players we retained we didn't bottom out to the same extent.

Of course a bright future for Carlton shouldn't be considered a guarantee just because they're down now, football doesn't have to be fair and it'll only be hard work, time and an ability to nail their top end draft picks, install best practice development programs and be confident they have the right coaches in place that'll see them improve.

The days of brown paper bags are over.

Personally I hope they stuff it up. Again.:)

This is an illusion of where we are, Jmac. When they're on their feet again, you'll long for the days when they were this bad. Enjoy, it doesn't get better than this....
It gets better when we win the flag.

Did SOS go on the show to say.. Which player management list coordinator whatever the f the role is called has come out to answer questions to the media.. that's all he seemed to have done on the show. How many times did he repeat himself.. I'd say more than what I did on the Buckley thread.

I just found his demeanor awful. He was on the defence from the get go. Fair dinkum idiot. No class.

SOS was awesome (spew). However, if you were a blues supporter you would be filthy on the interview as Caro's questions and agenda were on the sensationalism rather than the facts of what Carlton had stuffed up and what they are doing to fix it.............
Chris Judd - weak effort.
Caro = when faced with facts her bullcrap articles are like sand through her hands.
you have summed up Caro well - to be called "Chief Football Writer" was a joke. She wouldn't not know a centre square clearance from a contested mark

Wilson seemingly has a new subject of passion with this article basically one continuous whack at Carlton. There's more whacks in the article from the board and CEO to their stance on gay marriage and a priority pick, but these one's give an idea of her attack.

At least we were successful when Wilson had us in her sights.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ing-to-stake-their-claim-20180720-p4zsp5.html
And if you accept that Carlton is essentially a new football club then it is difficult to grasp at this woeful embryonic stage exactly what it stands for. To be truthful Greater Western Sydney has a more definitive brand as a football team - even without the supporters - than Carlton has a club as it struggles to stake its claim in this new AFL landscape.
Whether or not you buy the mantra that this year was always going to be the toughest - a line not heard until very recently - or the injuries alibi or whether or not you believe that Silvagni's policy cut too deep and has placed an unwanted toll on young star Patrick Cripps; no club can allow successive seasons like this one without clear strategic change and that is unlikely to be in the realm of list management.
The AFL now admits it got Carlton's fixture horribly wrong. Despite being bullish that the club would improve this season, league chiefs have never really explained why the Blues were thrust into prime time after trading Bryce Gibbs. While Gillon McLachlan has indicated he will stick with Richmond-Carlton as the season opener he has made it equally clear that will be the extent of it. Carlton have damaged the game's brand.
LoGiudice pointed to Carlton's 55,000 or so members as an historic best but just how dramatically the Blues have fallen behind the other traditional Melbourne clubs is alarming. Essendon have not exactly set the football scene alight this season and the drugs scandal set the club back years and yet the Bombers for one will finish 2018 with close to 80,000 members.
That Bolton has been the unfortunate and at times unconvincing front man for much of the season until this past week has not helped a sorry situation. There has never been any doubt that Bolton would coach the Blues into a fourth season and yet at some point his performance must be critically assessed.

Season 2018 has been an unmitigated debacle and injuries are not the only reason. Carlton might be a new football club but neither the reconstructed nor the old version of Carlton could tolerate for much longer the lack of second half efforts that have too often punctuated this year. Equally the new regime after three drafts and trade periods and heading into a fourth must stop blaming the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did SOS go on the show to say.. Which player management list coordinator whatever the f the role is called has come out to answer questions to the media.. that's all he seemed to have done on the show. How many times did he repeat himself.. I'd say more than what I did on the Buckley thread.

I just found his demeanor awful. He was on the defence from the get go. Fair dinkum idiot. No class.

Good call actually Gimp... I actually thought Silvagni actually came away from the show actually looking just as much a loser as Wilson actually...

My thoughts ...

- SOS was overly defensive IMO. The attention and speculation he cops isn’t unreasonable. His victim attitude was totally unwarranted. When you’re in Carlton’s position you just have to cop every bit of mud that’s thrown at you.
- Memo to Carlton FC (or any other footy club sitting in the cellar): Anybody who goes up in front of the media should always be ready with an answer to the “What’s the culture like?” question. He gave Carlton supporters nothing on that topic.
- SOS isn’t particularly articulate, but I guess he doesn’t need to be in his role.
- Poor performance by Caro, not one of her finer performances.
She's had finer performances? o_O Must have missed it/them! :thumbsu:

Just don't get the Caro hate. Tearing Carlton to shreds is music to my ears, whether it's fact or heresay. She needs to go harder I reckon.
Caro is a s**t journalist. Biased, happy to go with unsubstantiated gossip as fact and blinkered. Everything a journalist should not be.
That is why she is referred to as a "Football Writer".

Caro is a s**t journalist. Biased, happy to go with unsubstantiated gossip as fact and blinkered. Everything a journalist should not be.
That is why she is referred to as a "Football Writer".
I enjoyed her article today immensely

Hawthorn coming off a poor performance last week so Carlton might be in for it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back