Competition CCCC Round 18: GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Canterbury Giants
Canterbury - Bankstown Bulldogs + GWS
Link: Both are based in Sydney's west

canturburygiants.png

Home and away based on the Bulldogs' 1974 - 1996 jumper.
Preseason based on the 1935 - 1962 jumper

Very surprised no-one's done this one yet.

Wests Giant Tigers

Teams: Greater Western Sydney Giants (AFL) and Wests Tigers (NRL)
Connection: Both teams are located in western Sydney, and share the similar colours (orange, black/charcoal and white).

The home is a nod to the home strip of the Balmain Tigers (half of the Wests Tigers merger) in the first half of the 20th century, with white cuffs & collar, and GWS's charcoal in place of black.

The away, similarly, is derived from Western Suburbs Magpies (the other half of the merged side), worn until the merge in 1999, but with orange cuffs & collar, and again the black changed to charcoal.

The clash is similar to the current GWS home jumper (but with a larger G, stretching from one side of the front to slightly past the side seam on the other), and the three colours swapped, to form a predominantly light kit.

Click on the preview for a full-sized image.

Very surprised no-one's done this one yet.

Wests Giant Tigers

Teams: Greater Western Sydney Giants (AFL) and Wests Tigers (NRL)
Connection: Both teams are located in western Sydney, and share the similar colours (orange, black/charcoal and white).

The home is a nod to the home strip of the Balmain Tigers (half of the Wests Tigers merger) in the first half of the 20th century, with white cuffs & collar, and GWS's charcoal in place of black.

The away, similarly, is derived from Western Suburbs Magpies (the other half of the merged side), worn until the merge in 1999, but with orange cuffs & collar, and again the black changed to charcoal.

The clash is similar to the current GWS home jumper (but with a larger G, stretching from one side of the front to slightly past the side seam on the other), and the three colours swapped, to form a predominantly light kit.

Click on the preview for a full-sized image.

Being a Wests Tigers fan I just couldn't do it to them!!!

As for the design, it is nice, but for a fan of the club, I would have rather have seen a proper combination between the two clubs (Wests Tigers and GWS) rather than using the shirts of the former clubs (Wests, Balmain and GWS).

I could go further, but the argument over Wests being just a merger or new club founded from a merger is really getting old (comes up nearly once a week on Tigers forums, or at least it feels like it).

I felt that keeping a Balmain jumper and a Magpies jumper kept alive those entities, rather than being a further merger with GWS. There's reasoning for it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back