go wide

Debutant
Mar 24, 2008
lorne hinterland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
swamp rats dolphins
Interesting article considering their history, I am sure in the ealy 2000's these guys were recruiting as much if not more than anyone else.
sure lorne has attracted some quality players over the years but with the exception of very few ie matty bruin who was paid his market value,the overall package that lorne can offer ie the beach the resteraunts the lorne hotel [even boom could pull a root there] and a welcoming and succesfull footy club.given the choice where would any sane person go? the wasteland hillbilly territory of most cdfl clubs or the convivial confines of the mighty LF&NC. DEJA VU WARRA.

go wide

Debutant
Mar 24, 2008
lorne hinterland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
swamp rats dolphins
YEAH I AGREE. I think that Weagles are currently the only club really in danger of folding, but that has much to do with the people out there. Good people in charge eg. Damien Melican at Birregurra, will keep a club afloat and eventually they will bounce back. Dunno about Eagles whether they have the right people out there to make that happen though.
Agreed boom the most welcoming of all presidents cougar and everyone else involved at birre deserve all the success that is coming there way, saturdays game should be a cracker ,two evenly matched sides in a fixture made in football heaven , but lorne will "DO EM FOR PACE".

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC, Birregurra FC
sure lorne has attracted some quality players over the years but with the exception of very few ie matty bruin who was paid his market value,the overall package that lorne can offer ie the beach the resteraunts the lorne hotel [even boom could pull a root there] and a welcoming and succesfull footy club.given the choice where would any sane person go? the wasteland hillbilly territory of most cdfl clubs or the convivial confines of the mighty LF&NC. DEJA VU WARRA.

Not too sure about this as I have a close mate that went to Lorne during this period with a group of guys that were very well paid for their time at Lorne.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Agreed boom the most welcoming of all presidents cougar and everyone else involved at birre deserve all the success that is coming there way, saturdays game should be a cracker ,two evenly matched sides in a fixture made in football heaven , but lorne will "DO EM FOR PACE".

Apparently the ground was a bog last weekend and with more bad weather to come, pace may not be what is required

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Call to move finals off Central Reserve
By Matt Murnane • Aug 20th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

A curator at Colac’s Central Reserve has suggested football officials play early finals elsewhere to ensure the ground is in top shape for September’s grand final.
Groundsman Rob Oborne suggested moving the first two weeks of finals to give the oval time to recover from wet weather and a vandal attack.
Vandals damaged the already boggy Central Reserve when they attempted to drive across the centre square at the weekend.
Oborne said he believed the vandals became bogged as they attempted to cross the weather-affected middle and had left the centre in a precarious state.
“My own personal opinion is that they shouldn’t play there. It wouldn’t be much of a spectacle later in the finals series, especially if you got some rain there during the next month,” Oborne said.

A move from the heavy ground will suit Irrewarra and Lorne, it will be interesting to see what happens

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Statesman planning to play on
By Rachel Rodger • Aug 20th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

The oldest man running out in this weekend’s Colac district football elimination final says playing next year is on his agenda.
At an age when most players have retired or relegated themselves to reserves, Alvie veteran Paul Cass, 37, remains an important part of his side’s premiership hopes and has no plans to give the game away.
“I haven’t really thought about it. I still feel pretty good and I’ve been lucky I’ve had no major injuries or anything that’s kept me out for weeks or months,” Cass said.
“I’ll probably sit down and talk to the club at the end of the season but I couldn’t see why if I’m still getting a kick and the club wants me to go on,” he said.

and still dangerous!!

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Demons veteran hangs up boots

Retiring Otway Districts veteran Matt Zurbo has played senior football five years longer than most of his team-mates have been alive.
But competition from his youthful team-mates is not the reason why Zurbo has said goodbye to the game he loves after a 26-year senior football career.
In fact, the 41-year-old credits the youngsters in his team for his longevity in the game.
“Looking back, the highlights have always been playing alongside kids I used to coach in juniors, with and against them, being bowled over by or taking a mark over them,” Zurbo said.
“Watching them grow from kids to young men, to getting jobs and families and becoming mates with them,” he said.
“They’ve helped keep me young.”
Zurbo hung up his boots after Saturday’s game against Birregurra, literally – he left his moulded Grass Cats hanging in the changerooms at Birregurra Recreation Reserve.

One of the nicest guys I have played against, always up for a beer and a chat after the game.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Saints stalwarts will make finals debut

Two Birregurra footballers will appreciate playing finals this weekend more than most players.
Saints stalwarts Matt Gannon and Craig Phillips will line up in their first final on Saturday against Lorne, more than 10 years after starting their careers at the club.
Gannon joined the Saints’ senior team the year after the club’s last premiership in 1995 and the club has not played finals since, while Phillips, a 201-game senior player, played reserves in the premiership season.
The two defenders will receive a reward for their home-town football loyalty on Saturday but have a daunting task against an in-form Lorne forward line.
Gannon said he was excited about the game but not over-anxious.

Well done to the boys, hopefully the home town spirit can push Birre right through the finals series.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Tully and Fish most valuable players

Peers voted Lorne star Casey Tully Colac district football’s best player after a string of dominant performances late in the season.
The Dolphins onballer earned four best on grounds in his last month of football to steal a narrow win in the Colac Herald Budget Retravision Most Player Award with 22 votes.
Ironically, Tully’s coach Lee Hollmer awarded Simpson forward Aaron Harding three votes in Saturday’s final round to create a tie in the award.
But Tully claimed the 106 centimetre LCD Television prize on countback, earning six best on grounds to Harding’s five.

In the netball count, Western Eagles champion goaler Jenny Fish edged out Apollo Bay boom recruit Jessica Batt.
The former league best and fairest polled 29 votes to clinch the award ahead of Batt on 28, and Hawks coach Kath Speirs, 25.
Although the Eagles missed the finals, Fish was ever consistent, averaging 18.5 goals per game to finish sixth on the league’s goal scoring table with 222 for the season.

Boom and Go Wide, you might be on the money here..

go wide

Debutant
Mar 24, 2008
lorne hinterland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
swamp rats dolphins
Boom and Go Wide, you might be on the money here..
good odds for the tully b&f granny b.o.g quinella on offer.Hilly we are not real happy about the condition of central,agree with scruffy oborne save it for the big one,and one more thing is boom crash opera really alvie superstar chris hickey?

go wide

Debutant
Mar 24, 2008
lorne hinterland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
swamp rats dolphins
Well done to the boys, hopefully the home town spirit can push Birre right through the finals series.
Matty Gannon one of footballs mr nice guys,can seriously play the game in the best and fairest manner,rejected all sorts of offers to go else where for dollars and stayed loyal to the saints,and as for craig phillips,i wouldnt want to see him standing next to me at the first bounce...cant play cricket though!!!

santacruz

Rookie
Apr 15, 2008
victoria
good odds for the tully b&f granny b.o.g quinella on offer.Hilly we are not real happy about the condition of central,agree with scruffy oborne save it for the big one,and one more thing is boom crash opera really alvie superstar chris hickey?
no boom is not him, hickey doesnt have red hair!!

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lorne on course to face Bombers
By Matt Murnane • Aug 25th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Irrewarra-Beeac must be starting to feel a sense of déjà vu.
The Lorne juggernaut that has gained momentum since mid season reached impressive heights at the weekend in an emphatic qualifying final performance against Birregurra.
The Dolphins’ 49-point win against the Saints bears a striking resemblance to the way they started their 2006 and 2007 premiership campaigns and no doubt Bombers coach Dan Casey is paying attention.
Irrewarra-Beeac have been flag favourites the past two years only to watch Lorne break their hearts, and Dolphins coach Lee Hollmer is aware of the similarities with the past two seasons.
Hollmer said the top-placed Bombers had earned flag favouritism but admitted his side’s performance might unnerve them ahead of this weekend’s blockbuster.
“We’ll just throw whatever we’ve got at them and if they beat us by 10 goals so be it, that happened a couple of years ago too, it’s the big one that counts,” he said.
“But I’d imagine there’d be a few boys over there a bit shaky seeing those younger kids running around.”
As Hollmer predicted, his group dominated on Colac Central Reserve’s open space, particularly in the second half.

Will be an interesting game this weekend as they have not played since round 5 which was a massive win to Irrewarra,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Alvie must keep momentum
By Rachel Rodger • Aug 25th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Alvie coach Mick Hickey hopes the excitement generated by his side’s elimination final win can carry the team past the semi finals.
The Swans exorcised their elimination final demons with a 37-point win against Forrest yesterday and Hickey wants his group to take confidence from the win in this weekend’s clash with Birregurra.
Hickey said the Swans had the right blend of experience and youth that could work in their favour in finals.
“We won with five young kids playing their first final that all stood up well,” he said.
“Looking in the rooms after the game at all the kids, they were all nervous beforehand but afterwards it was good to see the smiles on their faces.

A good test for both sides on Sunday in both grades.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitting end to fantastic year
By Rachel Rodger • Sep 15th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Reserves premiers Irrewarra-Beeac ended the season in a fashion fitting the side’s standing in Colac district football.
The Bombers’ reserves showed the daylight between them and the competition with a 100-point win against Forrest in Saturday’s grand final, winning 18.13 (121) to 3.3 (21).
The win made up for the disappointment of last season after the Bombers stumbled on grand final day following a stellar season.
Bombers co-coach Kevin Armstrong said the result meant a lot to his players and proved the team’s dominance this season.
“There was a lot of emotion, you could see it after the game, I think it was a real achievement for them after last year,” he said.
“To beat them by 100 points, I think it was really where we deserved to be this year.

Pity Birre couldn't make it, might have been a better game.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Swans stars finish off in style
By Rachel Rodger • Sep 15th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Alvie’s star-studded under-17 side put the finishing touches to a dominant season in the weekend’s grand final.
The return of two senior players helped Alvie cap off a stellar season, defeating a gallant Otway Districts by 58 points at Colac’s Central Reserve.
Alvie set up a three-goal lead in the first half and applied the clamps after half time, keeping the Demons goalless to win 11.12 (78) to 2.8 (20).
Swans coach Murray Williamson said he admired the Demons’ performance against a side filled with up and coming senior Swans stars.
Williamson said with Dylan Lowe, league best and fairest Danny Allen, and senior players Ben Lynch and Liam McGuane, his side formed a formidable centreline.
But he said the Demons pushed his young charges, particularly in the first half.
“I thought that was a pretty good on-ball group and at different stages Otway were even with us in that department so I took my hat off to them for that,” Williamson said.

How many touches did you get Boom?

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
South Colac snares Alvie’s star captain
By Rachel Rodger • Nov 5th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

South Colac has snared the biggest recruit of Colac district football’s off-season trading period.
Alvie captain Josh Goonan will play with South Colac next season, having accepted an assistant coaching role with the Roos.
Goonan’s switch has stunned officials at Alvie, which ironically is still hunting a replacement for outgoing coach Mick Hickey.
Hickey, who remains on the Swans committee, has not hidden his disappointment in his former star’s departure, suggesting the change of clubs was a step backwards in Goonan’s career.
But South Colac coach Chris McGuane said Goonan had made the right move, with the Roos offering a strong grounding for the 24-year-old to develop his coaching skills.
McGuane said Alvie had an opportunity to talk Goonan into staying with the Swans but failed to match the Roos’ offer.
“We got him as an assistant coach, not just for name’s sake, we want him to learn the game and if he has to leave to coach at senior level in years to come we’ll be happy to
see him do that,” McGuane said.

With the other rumoured moves from Alvie, this could really hurt!

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins sign former captain
By Rachel Rodger • Nov 10th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Former Lorne football coach Brock Shiels will return to the Dolphins next season, forming a leadership alliance with current coach Lee Hollmer.
Shiels signed with the club at the weekend as an assistant to Hollmer, three years after Lorne officials appointed Michael Coutts as his replacement.
Shiels, 29, has played with Bellarine Football League club Anglesea for the past two seasons as an assistant to former Geelong and Brisbane Lions player Tristan Lynch.
Lorne president Brett Smartt said Hollmer wanted a sidekick to help him manage the coaching duties and Shiels made the perfect candidate.
“We spoke with him last year but he was happy where he was,” Smartt said.
“But Tristan Lynch is moving on from Anglesea so I think he thought it was a good time to move on,” he said.
“The plan is he is going to take more of the coaching and drills on Tuesday and Thursday nights and Lee will take care of Saturdays.”

With a couple of others from Anglesea the Dolphins should be stronger again in 2009

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Coastal Hawks lose top recruit
By Rachel Rodger • Nov 12th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Prized Apollo Bay football recruit Damian O’Connor has parted ways with the club.
O’Connor will move back to Hampden Football League club Terang-Mortlake next year after one season with the Hawks.
O’Connor is just one of the Bay’s recruits to leave the club, with new coach Sean Permezel committed to developing players from within the seaside town.
Permezel said former Carngham Linton player Ross Waters would also depart the Hawks, while veteran full-forward Brian Hinkley was unlikely to play next season.
“I haven’t spoken with him, I just expected him to retire after the way things turned out,” Permezel said.
“Because we’re keeping it local and looking at the young kids I haven’t chased a lot of people but he’s welcome back at the club, if he wanted to come back we’d welcome that,” he said.
Hinkley, a star pick-up for the Hawks last pre-season, played just a handful of games after struggling with a calf injury

Looks like a tough year ahead, though if the Featherston rumour is right will be a big boost

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawks’ new coach planning to rebuild
By Rachel Rodger • Nov 12th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

New Apollo Bay football coach Sean Permezel intends to change people’s perceptions of his club.
Permezel, 30, said his first priority was turning around the club’s poor on and off-field record by developing “local” players who had an interest in the club.
Permezel, who grew up at Apollo Bay and plays with the club, said the Hawks lost their way last season after signing recruits with little interest in driving the team forward.
But he said he was ready to return a community feel to the club with the backing of a new committee.
“They were happy to try and change the way the club was perceived around Colac and district and be a bit more club orientated,” Permezel said.
“I’m really keen actually to get going and with a new committee, we’re hoping to change a few things around,” he said.
“The focus will be more on keeping the locals around the place, from the under-17s to senior footy so that the focus is for the long-term of the club.”
Permezel, who was joint coach of the Hawks in 2001 with Rahni Buchanan, played just four games last season because of an injured back but said he would be fit for next season and planned to lead his troops from the field.

Follow on from the previous

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Alvie selects new leader
By Rachel Rodger • Nov 19th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Alvie Football Club has gone with one of its most loved characters to lead the senior team next season.
Respected big man Luke McLennan will swap his playing duties for football’s toughest job after accepting the Swans’ coaching position.
McLennan’s appointment ends Alvie’s two-month search following the retirement of Michael Hickey.
Swan officials say the choice of a current player to lead the team will be the right step forward with McLennan admired among club members.
Outgoing Swans president Steve Monaghan said McLennan presented a strong case for the coaching position, with similar ideas to officials for the direction of the club.
“He’s been a great clubman and I think he’ll do a very good job,” Mr Monaghan said.
“He’s got a fair bit of experience around footy and he has the respect of the young fellas, which is important. We’re extremely happy about it actually,” he said.
McLennan, who joined Alvie in 2001, said he was excited about his challenge and the prospect of inheriting a young list.

positive move Boom?

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Club stalwart will lead Colac Imperials
By Rachel Rodger • Dec 3rd, 2008 • Category: Football

Colac Imperials Football Club has ended its search for a coach by settling with one of its own stalwarts.
Premiership player Tim Hassett will take the reins at the Cats next season in a move the club hopes will bring past greats back to Western Oval.
Hassett, 36, who will fill the void left by outgoing coach Adrian Murray, admitted his appointment followed unsuccessful approaches to lure other past champions back to the club.
But he said with the coaching deal complete, and former players Peter Scott and Gavin Serle committed to the club’s presidency, he hoped former Imps faithful returned to help lift the club off the bottom of the ladder.
“It got to the point where, not that I was a last resort, but we had to do something so the club could move forward,” Hassett said.
“I think with my association with the club, they know I have the passion to see the club get back the success that it’s had,” he said.
“I want to get the retired players back involved with the coaching.

Be interesting to see if there is any improvement at Imps in 2009

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Top guns will boost Alvie list
By Rachel Rodger • Dec 12th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

The news keeps getting better for Alvie Football Club with two quality players signing on for next season.
The Swans have lured former Drysdale player Josh Inglis and former Western Eagles ruckman Tim Battersby to the club in a coup that takes the sting out of losing league best and fairest Andrew Kelly and captain Josh Goonan.
Battersby, who played with Belmont Lions in the Geelong and District Football League this year, was a noticeable addition at the club’s pre-season training this week.
The bigman stood more than a head above most of his team-mates during a fitness session at Colac Botanic Gardens where new coach Luke McLennan made his troops haul logs around the 1.1-km track.

A positive after the losses

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Saints’ recruits promise plenty
By Rachel Rodger • Dec 24th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Expectation will mount on Birregurra Football Club again next season with a host of promising recruits jumping on board the Saints.
The previously struggling Saints finished top three this season on the back of strong recruiting and could take another giant leap forward after signing players from the Geelong Football League.
St Marys midfield-ers Pat Nolan and
Locky Hassle and South Barwon key position player Jack Moorfoot are the latest additions to the Saints.
The trio joined new team-mates at the Saints final hit-out before Christmas on Monday night.
And in another surprise boost for the club, former Colac Imperials coach Adrian Murray was a welcome sight at the Saints’ first pre-season hit-out.
Murray left the Cats after one season at the helm and had trained with Camperdown a few weeks ago.
Hassle played 15 senior games for St Marys premiership winning team this season and played in the club’s reserves flag victory, while Nolan is an 80-game senior player with the Saints but sat out the second half of this season.

There is a buzz around Birre after last year

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Height will be key to club’s resurgence
By Rachel Rodger • Feb 11th, 2009 • Category: Football, Sport

Otway Districts Football Club is banking on height being the key to its resurgence this season.
The Demons have targeted tall timbers, led by highly regarded Central Highlands player Aaron Brockerman, in a bid to play Colac District Football League finals after years on the outer.
Brockerman, a 196-centimetre ruckman from Newlyn Football Club, is set to seal a deal with the Demons at a training session on Friday, while up to ten more players could also join the club, most returning players.
Brockerman has a connection with a former Demons player from Ballarat.
Coach Tim Pekin, in his third year at the helm, said adding height and recruiting past players back to the club were his main goals, with the team already possessing a talented young list.
“To win seven games last year was fairly good with the crew we had,” Pekin said.
“We’ve gone through the players who played a few years ago and we went looking for bigger guys – that was an area, in the ruck-centre half forward where we needed players” he said.

could the Demons be on the way up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back