Remove this Banner Ad

vWestCoast

Premiership Player
Dec 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I play U/15s football and all my life have been either, fullback or centre half back. Today though the coach decided to give me a chance at CHF as we haven't got someone that has really cemented their spot there.

I thought I went alright and presented myself quite well but was unlucky to not get more passed to me as my team down tend to lower their eyes instead of kicking long but I found myself a bit lost and was confused as to where I should be positioning myself. The most disappointing part of my game was by marking, I dropped about 3 marks to the chest that I should take 99% of the time.

We only won by 9 points, them dropped marks could have lost us the game.
Overhead I back myself and don't have a problem with that area but it's the chest marking that had me shaking my head, I always hear take it out in front not on the chest but I found it hard to react fast enough to do that and I found about 3 times the ball bounced straight of my chest when leading hard. I will be working on it starting from tomorrow but is there any other sort of tips that I could take into either training or games.

I really am looking at making AFL and am getting a diet together that will consist of no junk food or drink ect. I take my footy very serious at much age and when attending games of any level live I will watch players in my position and not the game and figure out what they do and what they do in different situations. In the backline I took it apon myself to take on a Luke Hodge type role, I just make sure people are manning up get them goal side and tell them what to do which has gotten me respect in my team to the point where the coaches have said to me personally that they believe I have the best chance of making AFL.

Any advice on anything to do with football especially CHF would be greatly appreciated and will be sure to listen as I know most of you would be far more experienced.

looking at the big picture what position do you see yourself playing at afl level?

I have handled myself well in the back line but play more traditional in the fact I don't tend to either zone of or create run which is essential in today's game, mind you my level no one has game plans like afl do.

However I can see myself getting the best out of my abilitys in the forward line I obviously need some work on it but I feel as if I could be a lead up CHF player. Obviously it can change in time but to answer your question - forward with maybe a bit of a pinch hit in ruck if needed.

Playing CHF still is that most difficult position to play, as a CHB or even full back you can limit a forwards damage by forcing them to the boundary and limiting a forwards ability to lead into the corridor. As a midfielder you can hurt the oppostion significantly by passing the ball into a dangerous position/ corridor.
If you wish to play as a lead up forward IMO you need to be a very good kick , with good aerobic ability ,who probably doesn't need to be as efficient in contested marking !
Whoever if you plan or wish to be a higher goal kicking forward you don't need as high aerobic fitness but greater contested mark.
Either way IMO the biggest thing about playing CHF effectively is being able to create space where the player with the ball can kick to, therefore encouraging them to kick it where you want them to and where your opponent can't defend.
An opponents tactics may vary, for instance if you have an opponent who is going to go with you on a lead as a stay at home forward you can lead to the boundary , creating space in the middle of the ground, and then lead back toward the centre where you have created the space.
However if you have a CHB who is going to block space and play off you a little you need either go to the boundary line and make your only lead to the centre of the ground, or make your sole lead to the boundary late.
Most important thing is to make your flankers, aware and keep out of the space you are making, otherwise you can try whatever you like and you want get that space.
Marking, in particular chest marking, simple rule of thumb which some don't allows apply, below the hips fingers point to the ground , above the waist fingers to the sky .
Hope this helps !:thumbsu:

Cheers Pace quality post. Will be sure to take it all in and hopefully find some more of the ball, I do pride myself on my kicking so I find that I can hit a target leading from the square after I lead up.

Will be looking to have more aerobic ability than a contestant mark so will do a few more training sessions to pick it up a bit.

Hi vWestCoast

I'm 25 and have played Centre Half Forward since I was 15

By far the hardest pozzy to play as the kick out of backlines is usually either a rushed kick or a long kick over your head.

A few points i've been taught & worked out:

• Take every ball in the hands no matter how low - if it rains alter to suit
  • must have courage to double back with flight - don't worry about full-forward, dominate the position
  • depending on how the game is panning out, if your team is dominating then start about 40m out and work a triangle towards the wings; if you're losing start up on line and hit the play and work as deep as the back flank.
  • hit the gym hard as CHBs are usually big, strong lads who don't have much creativity but are really good straight-line players
  • practise your long goal kicking - ala King Carey - you will need to be able to kick 50+ goals - best way is dead lifts in gym and lots of hammy stretching
  • if you're really contemplating AFL - don't get sidetracked with parties, beers, girls, drugs - if you have a crack with no regrets you will never wonder 'what if' - eg don't follow the crowd mate
  • practise your opposite foot NOW until it is just as good as preferred - every training no matter what if you're on the left USE IT
Good luck mate and let us all know how you go

Regards
Carnage :cool:

Cheers carnage really appreciate the advice, I have never drunk nor taken drugs and even though i'm with that group I just say no to parties or anything in that area so I really can focus on football. I'm going to join the gym in the next coming weeks so I can build more muscle up but won't me going all out as I know it can do more harm than good in younger bodies.

My opposite is always been a bad thing for me but I have got it to just a quick clearing kick, I'm going to be focusing on that much more now and next pre season will be doing everything possible to make afl.

Hi vWestCoast

I'm 25 and have played Centre Half Forward since I was 15

By far the hardest pozzy to play as the kick out of backlines is usually either a rushed kick or a long kick over your head.

A few points i've been taught & worked out:

• Take every ball in the hands no matter how low - if it rains alter to suit
  • must have courage to double back with flight - don't worry about full-forward, dominate the position
  • depending on how the game is panning out, if your team is dominating then start about 40m out and work a triangle towards the wings; if you're losing start up on line and hit the play and work as deep as the back flank.
  • hit the gym hard as CHBs are usually big, strong lads who don't have much creativity but are really good straight-line players
  • practise your long goal kicking - ala King Carey - you will need to be able to kick 50+ goals - best way is dead lifts in gym and lots of hammy stretching
  • if you're really contemplating AFL - don't get sidetracked with parties, beers, girls, drugs - if you have a crack with no regrets you will never wonder 'what if' - eg don't follow the crowd mate
  • practise your opposite foot NOW until it is just as good as preferred - every training no matter what if you're on the left USE IT
Good luck mate and let us all know how you go

Regards
Carnage :cool:

solid tips, one thing i would add would be to keep urself in line with the footy wherever it is. by this i mean if the ball is in the left back pocket you head over to the left side of the field, then if its switched u run like a mad man to get to the right hand side, simple stuff but u need a pretty big tank to do it and a solid work rate.

it's a tricky position the forward line is, most people dont realise it.
you need to be crafty and always thinking about where the best place is to lead. its all about timing leads perfect to a split second and trying to create/use space. when the ball is coming down toward the forward line, think about where the ball is most likely going to come in, and run away from that position, only to lead back into it. since you're a key position forward, your small forwards/midfielders should always be keeping a constant look to make sure they're not interfering with your space. the more games you play forward and the more mistakes you make, the better sense you'll get

and as a side note, at your age, no one likes playing in defence but if you've played there majority of the time chances are you're a good defender and might want to stick to that position if your forward line stint doesnt work out. even though its boring since theres 0 glory and you make any mistake you cost the team a goal and your confidence takes a hit.....

Cheers mate, I have always enjoyed playing defense for some reason. I like the pressure and hood high expectations for myself, I watch a Scarlett interview once where he said, as a back man you can't worry about what you have dine wring during the game, keep your head up otherwise you won't excel in the back line. I have always thought the same thing, training is where I look to fix up areas.

To succeed these will help you massivly, dont think youll ever come across better advice in ur career than this

For Diet read this book Eat right for your type

For gym go Oneresult.com and read Athletic body in balance Gray Cook

For performance read this book 'Rugbytough' Gives you a checklist to test your strengths and weaknesses as a player!
Get an a4 harback and name it goals 2012....everyday fill in notes +tips into it, and also set and alter goals short term, and long term(MOTIV8.ie)

Not pretending to be any sort of expert. But I would suggest taking a good hard look at who you are what you are good at, then working from there. So, some CHF's are fast hard leading, some are monster contested, some are smart body on body players. Each has a specific skill set. Look at the two Reivoldts - one is an amazing athlete who just smashes his opponents with run (to the right places etc). The other is a super smart footballer with a great leap but not much pace. Almost opposites and they play to their strengths.
If you are part time ruck I would guess you are tall. The ruck/forward is a highly wanted position now, so maybe you might want to spend time on ruck work. If you are like Richo was, slow off the mark but high top speed then work on being a long leading player. If you are fast off the mark work on the plays that that creates.
Go to AFL club/s and ask to talk to a development coach, talk to the scouts about what you do - What I mean is don't just ask the key board jockeys, ask the guys that you need to convince to get a shot at the AFL! Usually they will be happy to talk to you and provide feedback. Additionally this shows that you are really passionate and care - bonus points.
But in the end it is you that has to do it, don't just blindly believe whatever you are told. If you get a few people who really know their stuff and they don't agree, that is good not bad. It means that you have options and can explore more widely with your talent.

Build up your core strength. Before you start throwing on upper body muscle you've got to have something to put it on. As a CHF you will be expected to do a lot of contested work in which case core strength becomes vital anyways.

I would start by doing 10 x 1minute bridges each day for the first couple of months before getting yourself a swiss-ball and using it to do more plyometric typeexcersizes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the ground,

- get to as many contests as possible, particularly from say the defensive edge of the square to say 35-40 from goal.

- It doesn't matter if you take the mark all the time, so long as you assert yourself in your leading and in your attack on the footy.

- Always look to go with a marking target on kick-ins (even CHF is a 2-way position).

Off the Ground

- Be balanced in a weights program if you're looking to get to a higher level. Don't look for excessive strength if you feel that you are a more mobile leading player. (e.g. May have been a long time ago, but after he did his knee in 1982 Kelvin Templeton during his rehab overdid the weights and lost the mobility and agility in his legs)

- In running, have a solid main tempo when running whilst being able to give constant 10m bursts of very high tempo.

Have not read the lot but here are a few tips i use with our blokes

1. Patience. Very important you need to set up where you are in a position 60 to 70 meters in front of the ball and be able to hold your lead until your team mate is looking up or ready to kick. This can mean holding your ground and leaving leading space where the kick is most likely to go.

2. If players are getting into the leading space make sure you are strong at the contest and give them second thoughts about standing in your way.

3. Like midfielders do not waste your energy trying to get to contests you can not get to. You will run yourself into the ground. If the ball is going to land 30 meters away there is no point trying to run to it as you will never get there.

4. Try and keep on the move with a slow jog but read where the play is coming from. Do not keep pushing up to the ball to a point where the play ends up 20 meters in front of you. Leave your self some space to lead and be prepared to make 3 or 4 leads. Try and work your defender into the wrong spot by being on the move and opening space to change direction sharply and lead.

5. Be prepared to push up into the middle of the ground. CHF is certainly about more than kicking goals as you need to be a link player at times or a marking target for the defenders. You will also find that you can work back into space on the fat side if not used.

6.Patience again. Even at AFL level you can expect more balls kicked over your head or at your feet or somewhere else so you may get only 6 or 7 chances out of 20 on a good day. You have to keep presenting and thinking.

7.When the opposition has the ball in the back half find a man ! anyone will do !

You rally need to sit down during the week and run through the spots you should be when the ball is in certain spots on the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back