Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s at least 200,000 people on jobseeker that qualify (can’t find the article) for the dsp but don’t get it for reasons such as “not autistic enough” but they go to disability employment services job agencies. Crazy glad I got out of that life.

Government, especially these clowns wasting money is stupid but it's a separate issue I just mainly worry about what's in my control.

We aren't living in say a recession. There's plenty of work around at the moment, if you actually want it of course. If you are going to spend all day, every day sitting around 'holding out for a position in management' then I don't really have much sympathy for not ever having much money. It's also never been intended as, by either side of government, as being something that anyone is supposed to be existing for their whole lives on. Payments should be a bit higher and Centrelink improved for people as a service but there's not much excuse for spending long periods of time on it atm.

Age discrimination would still be an issue.

The fact that wage growth hasn't risen that much despite our current round of stagflation is a red flag for mine. Ceteris paribus, wages should rise where there's a labour shortage, but that hasn't really happened, at least not yet. Plus the idea that pandemics and shadow lockdowns will lead to booming businesses and job opportunities aplenty is pretty silly.

I've got no doubt that a consumption-led boom will improve things some further down the track, but whether that lasts depends on our government's willingness to hire cheap, readily exploitable labour to depress wages. This particular government is all too willing to do so, and while the ALP have shown glimmers of awareness RE this issue, how much they'll do about it is an open question. My guess is that they'll tinker around the edges.

Labor silent on this, as they have been in the past

The LNP have given them a window to raise it, but if they do it'll be via the backdoor (slipping it in the back of some budget and raising it incrementally).

They're more likely to raise the DSP and make that easier to access, since that sort of move is less likely to attract opprobrium.

Morrison lifted a million or so people out of poverty at the start of Covid and rather than celebrate this not insignificant achievement he sent them straight back there. We can afford to do this, the government chooses not to.
People want more money? Then get a job, there's loads of em around at the moment and staff shortages. Mind-blowing concept isn't it.
Age discrimination would still be an issue.
Yes and no.. unless you are 50 and haven't worked in 30 years I think it's not usually a problem at all, especially at the moment.

These are of course often low end stuff, not that dream position in management that often being 'held out' for.

Yup. I'm looking forward to getting out of it myself. Having a doctor's letter saying you cannot work rejected because your illness is "not temporary" therefore you are able to work is completely f’ed in the head.
It's a ridiculous roundabout system designed to keep up the fantasy that a very sick person is going to walk into a job next week or next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone has to do the low end stuff or should that be only left to brown people from overseas?

If people don't want to do that then sure it's smart. But you usually the have to then go get things like a relevant useful education, training and skills. If you can't be bothered with that either, then you will just have to take the pittance that the government hands out to survive from the people that do pay taxes.

Jobstart or whatever they call it now has never under either govenment been intended to 'live' on, and it never will be.
a life on.Yeah, constantly trying to punch down. It's starting to sound like Kram manages a 7/11.
You have been selected as leadership, at least try and improve on this repetitive inanity. You can do better.

Someone has to do the low end stuff or should that be only left to brown people from overseas?

If people don't want to do that then sure it's smart. But you usually the have to then go get things like a relevant useful education, training and skills. If you can't be bothered with that either, then you will just have to take the pittance that the government hands out to survive from the people that do pay taxes.

Jobstart or whatever they call it now has never under either govenment been intended to 'live' on, and it never will be.

You have been selected as leadership, at least try and improve on this repetitive inanity. You can do better.

Plenty of people on the dole paid taxes before they became unemployed.

Maybe if you did better, you would get selected for something.

Plenty of people on the dole paid taxes before they became unemployed.
The idea that unemployment benefits are a gift from the government, one that should be restrictive and punitive, is one of the narratives I hate the most. The majority of unemployed people have paid taxes, they have earnt that support if they are unemployed at some point.

There’s at least 200,000 people on jobseeker that qualify (can’t find the article) for the dsp but don’t get it for reasons such as “not autistic enough” but they go to disability employment services job agencies. Crazy glad I got out of that life.
As much as i love her, it was Julia Gillard who took a knife to it to appease the scum

AND DID IT ???.....
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

Soon as the piece of s**t abbott got in, that was the end of it, he brought the bulldozers in.

Straight out of the mouths of 2 job agency workers -

" abbott was the best thing that ever happened to our chosen profession. "

1 was a woman in her 30's and another was a man in his early 50's

I typed in a big long essay from first hand experience about being unemployed and restricted in what I can do due to illness, overqualification and age, and how the system is designed to keep people like me in a downward spiral of poverty. tl;dr: attitudes like Kram's get the big GAGF from me.

Fortunately I start another casual job on Monday, no doubt I'll stay living like a miser and hoarding every spare cent because I'll need it to survive when the work runs out again.

I typed in a big long essay from first hand experience about being unemployed and restricted in what I can do due to illness, overqualification and age, and how the system is designed to keep people like me in a downward spiral of poverty. tl;dr: attitudes like Kram's get the big GAGF from me.

Fortunately I start another casual job on Monday, no doubt I'll stay living like a miser and hoarding every spare cent because I'll need it to survive when the work runs out again.
Superiority boners are the 2nd best kind

People in lucrative political, management and professional jobs love to preach about how there are plenty of low-paying crap jobs out there. I'd like to see you do a ball-breaking job for $22 an hour, you sanctimonious flogs.

Traffic control, plenty of work, anyone can do it and starts at $30 an hour.

If anyone on the dole thinks that's too hard then they're probably not serious about work.

Good to hear you've got some work, hope it doesn't run out.

I'm curious about age discrimination, as to me it doesn't make a great deal of sense. The telly box was telling me today that over 20% of people have changed jobs in the last 5 years. The old idea of age discrimination seemed to be "yeah but they won't be around long term" but people aren't these days.

Do you think there is still that mindset purely against age? I would think there would be discrimination against the aged unemployed "well why don't they have a job at the moment?" type thing, but purely on age seems a bit backwards to me.

Traffic control, plenty of work, anyone can do it and starts at $30 an hour.

If anyone on the dole thinks that's too hard then they're probably not serious about work.

Plenty of work for people in that job but there isn't a huge demand for those jobs to be filled.

Good to hear you've got some work, hope it doesn't run out.

I'm curious about age discrimination, as to me it doesn't make a great deal of sense. The telly box was telling me today that over 20% of people have changed jobs in the last 5 years. The old idea of age discrimination seemed to be "yeah but they won't be around long term" but people aren't these days.

Do you think there is still that mindset purely against age? I would think there would be discrimination against the aged unemployed "well why don't they have a job at the moment?" type thing, but purely on age seems a bit backwards to me.

Ageism is a problem and reflect that many recruiters are younger and want to be around people similar to them and because many recruiters are here on visas, they don't want to argue too strongly with employers or they fear they will lose their job and their visa and then there are people that just don't think older people fit today's workplace which is odd thinking but comes back to their own experience which for many recruiters is minimal.

Plenty of work for people in that job but there isn't a huge demand for those jobs to be filled.

The biggest thing I found is they don’t usually advertise but always looking to take people on as there is a very high turnover. I got a job within 3 days of applying but took 2 more months to actually get work.

But it’s easy to control how much you want to work and anyone who is committed and willing to do extra will very quickly become a preferred employee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back