Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Peanut Taylor and peanut Brayshaw continually mentioning the sell out crowd but not once mentioning that heaps of tickets were sold at half price to fill rhe ground

Peanut Taylor and peanut Brayshaw continually mentioning the sell out crowd but not once mentioning that heaps of tickets were sold at half price to fill rhe ground
I just have a vibe that they’re trying to turn it into a festival that other cities /states might bid for in time - huge promotion of SA

Or the banks of empty seats that were right in front of our eyes.

Then on cue in the last quarter, breathlessly intoning that "42,000 was some record for Sydney/Richmond outside of Melbourne".

Adelaide Oval holds over 50,000. What happened to the sell out you imbeciles?

Otherwise you had to love the patronising way they told us people in Adelaide were excited by the round. Yes because they've never watched footy in South Australia before have they.

Luke Darcy is loving the way the modern day players are going about it. So many genuine superstars of the competition on show this Gather Round in this extraordinary state of South Australia. Some of the absolute best in the business.

Hamish McLaughlin concerned as to when Tom Hawkins might retire, don't worry about him Hamish, how about you retire

At the final siren, Luke Darcy said ''grand final replay''. There were Grand Final replays in 1948, 1977 and 2010. Tonight was a Grand Final rematch.
Does Darcy ever say anything that is technical about the play, or insightful about what a team is actually doing out on the field, or even off it.
The only reason I can think of for him being continuously given a job is that he now has a recognizable voice. The producers don't give a rip about the quality of the call, boys club first, then populate all the seats with voices the viewers know either by name or from the radio etc.
None of it pertains to calling the play or educating the audience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Darcy ever say anything that is technical about the play, or insightful about what a team is actually doing out on the field, or even off it.
The only reason I can think of for him being continuously given a job is that he now has a recognizable voice. The producers don't give a rip about the quality of the call, boys club first, then populate all the seats with voices the viewers know either by name or from the radio etc.
He does love to educate the audience to anyone not born in Australia. Whenever he commentates a Hawthorn game he can't help but let everyone know that Connor Nash is an Irishman multiple times during every telecast. I've seen him do it with other players too.

It's nearly on par with the obsession with Scott Pendlebury's junior basketball career.

Hamish McLaughlin concerned as to when Tom Hawkins might retire, don't worry about him Hamish, how about you retire

McLaughlin always tries to pull at the heart strings whenever he gets an opportunity. Literally carries a box of tissues at all times.

He's probably the worst commentator.
His favorite line is reserved for tall players. "Look at the athleticism of the big man!", and he's basically just watched a player receive a handball who has proceeded to run and kick the ball.

He does love to educate the audience to anyone not born in Australia. Whenever he commentates a Hawthorn game he can't help but let everyone know that Connor Nash is an Irishman multiple times during every telecast. I've seen him do it with other players too.

It's nearly on par with the obsession with Scott Pendlebury's junior basketball career.

Scott Pendlebury had a junior basketball career?

Peanut Brian Taylor - perhaps the only football watching person in the country who can't tell the difference between Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay

Last edited:
I know C7 almost set a new precedent for this every week, but is this the worst commentary team they’ve assembled?

Jason Bennett the only one keeping it together.

BT, on top of his accepted 5-10 names he gets wrong every week, just compared this game to the Cats vs Saints game in 09. Other than being one of the same teams and the same venue, he’s pulled this one from a new stratosphere…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, Lingy hit the nail on the head. Feel free to quote me if Duncan gets offered a week, I'll cop that on the chin, but I can't see how there is a case to answer for.
So that’s another head that a Cat has made contact with? It’s endemic down at Geelong… Hawkins, GAJ, Stewart, Duncan and now Ling.

BT, on top of his accepted 5-10 names he gets wrong every week, just compared this game to the Cats vs Saints game in 09. Other than being one of the same teams and the same venue, he’s pulled this one from a new stratosphere…
That was such a stupid call and I can’t remember who but special comments guy agreed! Laughable

Dixie Marshall had a better voice than any of the women on the coverage today

Compare 7's 1988 commentary team to today. Poles apart.
For all the talk about professionalism, quality etc. the 1988 team absolutely runs rings around anything from the past decade

I actually liked Channel 10's team at the end, minus Luke Darcy who is the absolute epitomy of what's wrong in commentary today. An overbearing adherence to all forms of political correctness, fence-sitting with no personal viewpoints of substance, or when interested in anything it's only because it's popular at the time. Consequently, he's prepared to change it at any time. There is no actual true substance to his views.

I enjoyed listening to Matthew Lloyd a decade ago on Ten. He has viewpoints without being the turdburglar that Kane is.
From being a mumbling village idiot in the early 2000s, he became quite articulate by the late 2000s as part of Ten's team. I thought he deserved another run as a game-day commentator

Unfortunately, 7 is more interested in gender-quotas than quality. IMO, it has been to the detriment of the TV viewer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back