Chairman Rob Chapman

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't have to reveal your sources, but can you give an indication of what caliber of course you've heard this from? Second hand, third hand?

I still believe (though I'm starting to wonder if I'm the last gullible one left :eek:) that Craig will walk when the time is right, and if we keep playing as badly as we have this year, it will occur before the end of the season.

Depends how you define this. My source is an SANFL administrator at a one of the clubs, how he came across this information I didn't really ask. I'm not saying it's fact just repeating what I've been told.

"Highly successful" is debatable - it's a subjective term.

Is he a good coach? His record would imply that he is. Certainly his win/loss record doesn't tell the whole story, but if it's enough to condemn him over the last 18 months, it should be enough to vindicate him over the last 7 years. Not enough to save his job, of course, but enough for him to remembered as a good coach, and enough to imply he has some value left to offer the club if he is placed in the right role.

Actually our next two games are against the Bulldogs and Geelong at Skilled. I said in another thread that I honestly believe that if we are thrashed on Friday night against the Bulldogs that Craig will more than likely walk if there is a follow up thrashing against Geelong.

Sorry must have got that wrong. Was told Bulldogs and Sydney and assumed they were the next 2 games. I guess we are expected to lose to Geelong.

I wouldn't say Craig has been "highly successful". He had some degree of success (sans premiership) earlier in his head-coaching career but seems to have lost his way a little since.

We then choose the best candidate available. My preference is S Burnes, but there are a fair few good coaching option. I would rather we don't recycle ex heach coaches, but should they be the best available....so be it.

I would like Burns too but he will be VERY expensive, does the AFC have that kind of money? Word is that he was sounded out about being an assistant for the AFC before he went to west coast and asked for an exorbitent salary which ruled him out.

I would like Burns too but he will be VERY expensive, does the AFC have that kind of money? Word is that he was sounded out about being an assistant for the AFC before he went to west coast and asked for an exorbitent salary which ruled him out.

To be fair, our opening offer of $10 and a six pack was an insult...

Give it up. Craig is a highly successful coach and one who is honoured and respected by his peers. He'd make a great mentor to any young coach.

Please, what has he got to pass on coaching wise, game plan, how to make changes when thing don't work, how to deal with finals pressure, how to appeal to your supporter base, how to produce entertaining football, player development?

Other than Sports science knowledge (which is probably now outdated considering our injury rates) he has abosluetly nothing to offer a new coach.

"Highly successful" is debatable - it's a subjective term.

Is he a good coach? His record would imply that he is. Certainly his win/loss record doesn't tell the whole story, but if it's enough to condemn him over the last 18 months, it should be enough to vindicate him over the last 7 years. Not enough to save his job, of course, but enough for him to remembered as a good coach, and enough to imply he has some value left to offer the club if he is placed in the right role.

Good coach is highly debatable aswell, he hasnt done any better than what Ayres did and Ayres did win a pre-season cup in 2003, Ayres was vindicated because he was Victorian, Ayres was treated the way he was by the AFC because he was Victorian, if we had a Victorian coach right now with the current performance of the playing group they would have been sacked by now.

Neil Craig will be remembered as a coach of the AFC from mid 2004-2011/12 he has no other achievements to hang his hat on, failed finals, failed list management, failed to live upto his own hype, fails to motivate the players, fails to get the best out of his players, ridiculous training methods that ruined whole seasons, players left unmarked and left to run riot without an opponent, out of tune game plan that has been worked out and goes to water week after week after week, same ecuses................need I go on????

Please, what has he got to pass on coaching wise, game plan, how to make changes when thing don't work, how to deal with finals pressure, how to appeal to your supporter base, how to produce entertaining football, player development?

Other than Sports science knowledge (which is probably now outdated considering our injury rates) he has abosluetly nothing to offer a new coach.

We actually need to rid the whole coaching panel so none of this garbage happens again and any Neil Craig coaching techniques are burnt never to be seen again.

Good coach is highly debatable aswell, he hasnt done any better than what Ayres did and Ayres did win a pre-season cup in 2003, Ayres was vindicated because he was Victorian, Ayres was treated the way he was by the AFC because he was Victorian, if we had a Victorian coach right now with the current performance of the playing group they would have been sacked by now.

Neil Craig will be remembered as a coach of the AFC from mid 2004-2011/12 he has no other achievements to hang his hat on, failed finals, failed list management, failed to live upto his own hype, fails to motivate the players, fails to get the best out of his players, ridiculous training methods that ruined whole seasons, players left unmarked and left to run riot without an opponent, out of tune game plan that has been worked out and goes to water week after week after week, same ecuses................need I go on????

This can't be argued with and the rebuilding argument doesn't even come into it. Rebuilding should have started whilst the big 4 were still playing.

Hey, this has turned into another bash Craig thread. Rob Chapman talked about other areas of importance to the club and supporters.

This can't be argued with and the rebuilding argument doesn't even come into it. Rebuilding should have started whilst the big 4 were still playing.

We really havent rebuilt anything either we have ended up with the list we have because of poor list management, Neil Craig before the 2010 pre-season came out and said he would find 'improvement' out of our veterans:confused: He massively mis-read the list mis-read players abilities mis-read even where the club was heading with more bold statements of a 'top four finish'......................was he he even the miracle that led us to the top in 2005 and 2006 or did things just 'click' those couple of years because he has never taken the club past 5th since, could have Ayres achieved the same??? Why wasnt Ayres given time??? Because he was Victorian. Why is Neil Craig afforded to make mistake after mistake after mistake???????

When you say walk, do you mean immediately, or at the end of the year?

I'm not in favour of mid-year changes, because invariably one of the assistant coaches fills in, and there becomes a sort of expectation that he should get the job.

See Port with Primus for a perfect example of that.

I haven't heard what you've said about if he loses the next 2 and that would actually surprise me if he did that. However i wouldn't be against him announcing that this would be his last year as coach at that stage.

Thats how I see it as well. If we keep losing it does the club no good to leave the announcement to the end if they have decided he is going.

By making the announcement and keeping him on it shows we have no faith in the assistants, which is a good thing. It takes the heat and pressure out of the situation. It also allows players who are undecided to make up their mind plus allows us to search for a coach.

In terms of wins, WB are as desperate as we are and have a better midfield. Geelong will kill us, I am really scared about this one. I can see an absolute massacre of record proportions. That should be enough to make the announcement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're currently paying Craig $650k a year so I can't see us being too far off the mark

We actually need to rid the whole coaching panel so none of this garbage happens again and any Neil Craig coaching techniques are burnt never to be seen again.

Silly comment.

Neil Craig has some fantastic qualities and most of them would of been passed on to assistants and the playing group.

That is why I dont see the need for Craig to stay on as mentor.

One thing is for sure, if we can get Bassett and Rehn as assistants next year, gone are the days of the boys club and the yes men. They will seriously stir things up!

Hey, this has turned into another bash Craig thread. Rob Chapman talked about other areas of importance to the club and supporters.

Excellent point I didn't get to hear the interview and would love to hear more about the actual true figures invovled in the Port Adelaide mess and not Rucci's bullshit.

One thing is for sure, if we can get Bassett and Rehn as assistants next year, gone are the days of the boys club and the yes men. They will seriously stir things up!

This is a massive opportunity to either put the 'boys club' theory to bed or not, how it pans out will either prove or disprove this theory I hope it is disproved.

Ayres was a good coach. He took a tired squad from the Blight era, rebuilt us back up to top 8 and even top 4 contention, before eventually outliving his expiry date. He wasn't exceptional, but he was a good coach.

Craig has been a good coach as well.

Ayres was a good coach. He took a tired squad from the Blight era, rebuilt us back up to top 8 and even top 4 contention, before eventually outliving his expiry date. He wasn't exceptional, but he was a good coach.

What makes you say he outlived his expiry date? 2003 he won a pre-season comp and took us to a Semi Final, 2002 a Preliminary Final really only missed the finals in his coaching term in 2000 and 2004.

Craig has been a good coach as well.

Im going to agree he definitely hasnt been highly successful though

What makes you say he outlived his expiry date? 2003 he won a pre-season comp and took us to a Semi Final, 2002 a Preliminary Final really only missed the finals in his coaching term in 2000 and 2004.

All indications, with the benefit of hindsight, are that he had lost the players. His coaching methods were outdated. Sound familiar? :eek:

To my eyes, Craig and Ayers have followed very similar paths. Craig was able to do slightly more with the squad he was given, whereas Ayers showed somewhat more ability to revitalise a squad. Under Ayers' reign, we recruited more poorly, but seem to have developed youth slightly better. On the whole, I'd say they've performed to a very similar level, and much like Ayers before him, Craig has now reached the point where the game and the side appears to have gone passed him.

Also, I have absolutely no idea whether it's spelt Ayres or Ayers :eek:

Im going to agree he definitely hasnt been highly successful though

I wouldn't use that term personally, no. Certainly wouldn't use the term "dismal failure" either, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back