Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 11 v Crows away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
This will be a very tough assignment, Crows have been very good this season and will be up and about at home after a bad loss against the Western Throwers in Iceland.

I don't expect any changes other than maybe Sharp out for Ah Chee, but if it was purely up to me >

Out- Jack Gunston.

In- Callum Ah Chee.

Kai Lohmann putting a string of good performances together in the reserves could be an option as well.

Gunston will be the big question mark all week. But I dont expect him to get dropped. He was a complete defensive liability for the majority of the game. Then racked up some cheap touches as we moved the ball around to hold the game (its important to not cough it up here i guess though)

Thought Ah Chee was really good when he came on. Would like him to stay in the team somehow

If Crows were smart they'd put Brodie Smith on Gunston and he'll just rebound all day and hurt us going the other way

Because Gunston is so terrible defensively he really needs to be dangerous and demand a quality defender which he isn't even close to

Lohmann has been banging the door down recently and we need to get some games in to him and Gunston being so average is the perfect way to get him in, can even just say he’s being ‘managed’. I fear we will lose Lohmann if we don’t give him some opportunities, maybe we already have and that’s why he isn’t getting games.

Lohmann has been banging the door down recently and we need to get some games in to him and Gunston being so average is the perfect way to get him in, can even just say he’s being ‘managed’. I fear we will lose Lohmann if we don’t give him some opportunities, maybe we already have and that’s why he isn’t getting games.
Agree, outstanding form in the ressies coupled with poor form of the other player in the seniors has traditionally earned a called up. Only criticism of Fagan and the coaching team for a long time now.

Banging the door down might be a bit much.

Banging the door down might be a bit much.
Yes the ones who have performed all season in the reserves are the likes of Lyons, Mathieson, Robertson, Tunstill, Prior... unfortunately for them there just isn't a spot for them no matter how well they perform.

Lohmann was a bit off in the early part of the season, been good the last few weeks and dined out on a team that hasn't won a game all season yesterday.

Yes the ones who have performed all season in the reserves are the likes of Lyons, Mathieson, Robertson, Tunstill, Prior... unfortunately for them there just isn't a spot for them no matter how well they perform.

Lohmann was a bit off in the early part of the season, been good the last few weeks and dined out on a team that hasn't won a game all season yesterday.

Now that our midfield is clicking I feel even more strongly that last year was a good time for Zorko to move on. Would like Dev in for him as a second string midfielder

We're seeing the rewards of giving Wilmot and Payne an extended run in the seniors and it would be good to be seeing the same for playing Dev instead of Zorko who seems to be only be good for 5 minutes a quarter most weeks

Now that our midfield is clicking I feel even more strongly that last year was a good time for Zorko to move on. Would like Dev in for him as a second string midfielder

We're seeing the rewards of giving Wilmot and Payne an extended run in the seniors and it would be good to be seeing the same for playing Dev instead of Zorko who seems to be only be good for 5 minutes a quarter most weeks
I am not quite as down on Zorko, I think if we nurse him through to finals he will be a key player for us in the big games, his best is still elite IMO and I would definitely back him if fully fit to bring it come finals.

However I do think we have moved past Richy, our mix in the back 6 is a lot better with Coleman, Wilmot and McKenna as the smalls. Richy also a liability on defensive transition.

I am not quite as down on Zorko, I think if we nurse him through to finals he will be a key player for us in the big games, his best is still elite IMO and I would definitely back him if fully fit to bring it come finals.

However I do think we have moved past Richy, our mix in the back 6 is a lot better with Coleman, Wilmot and McKenna as the smalls. Richy also a liability on defensive transition.

I was probably hoping guys like Bailey, Rayner, Berry and Clug with more responsibility could be options to stand up in big moments

Zorko has been good for the occasional brilliant kick but he’s lost every other part of his game and his kicking can be really terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Gunston is rested this week and someone like Lohman gets a chance. Personally, I don't have a problem with what Gunston brings however I do acknowledge a lot of people do.

Barring injuries what's going to stop us being successful this year is having Gunston, Rich and Zorko in there a year too long and not developing younger players who could do the job and bring more energy and run.

Zorko I can have because he has the capacity to tear it up and he can still impact in big games. Gunston won't get dropped and it's going to take a big game fail for the penny to drop there. Throwing him down back at the end of games shows the warped view of his current capacities .It nearly backfired 2 weeks ago and last night was totally unnecessary . Why not let the guys who had worked their clacker off all night get the freebies ? I don't see where Richy fits in presently but he's very solid backup and not writing him off totally because of his performance in last years finals. I'd say we're hellbent on paying him so does Wilmot go to a wing ?

I'm not saying playing these guys will necessarily stop us but it's a risk that we're just not brave enough to make some very tough calls.

What was that shutting down practice in the last quarter all about last night ? That was just a really poor move with the reasoning not given enough thought.

The Suns had given up and so we just chipped it around with no opponent within cooee . The only point of practicing it is when the opposition is under 2 goals down and they're making a genuine attempt to dispossess you . So your only option is to do it in training and hope it works in a match if that's what you want to do.

Last night's ring a ring a rosie just gives the players a misguided perception of how easy it is.

i dont see why we would replace gunston with a small

3 tall set up is working very well and gives the flexibility to enable daniher his work upfield without gimping us elsewhere

if gunston has to be dropped (i still disagree with doing so) it should not be for lohmann

i dont see why we would replace gunston with a small

3 tall set up is working very well and gives the flexibility to enable daniher his work upfield without gimping us elsewhere

if gunston has to be dropped (i still disagree with doing so) it should not be for lohmann

Gunston doesn't play tall. Probably our least effective forward in a marking contest

What was that shutting down practice in the last quarter all about last night ? That was just a really poor move with the reasoning not given enough thought.

The Suns had given up and so we just chipped it around with no opponent within cooee . The only point of practicing it is when the opposition is under 2 goals down and they're making a genuine attempt to dispossess you . So your only option is to do it in training and hope it works in a match if that's what you want to do.

Last night's ring a ring a rosie just gives the players a misguided perception of how easy it is.

I mean it was with a couple minutes left and the Suns gave up. I don’t see why the players need to go forward when the opposition is choosing not to contest kicking down back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I mean it was with a couple minutes left and the Suns gave up. I don’t see why the players need to go forward when the opposition is choosing not to contest kicking down back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Thought it was a bit longer than that but fair point.

Maybe it would've been an opportunity to practice finding a way through when the opposition clogs it up in our forward half rather than just passing it to each other in a vacant half.. Which seems to be becoming more prevalent against us this year.

Gunston was managed for the North game guys so ...... but regardless the real question is how do you build a team. You need to include those that are not in the 22 for when you do not have all of the 22. On the other hand you have to balance the best 22 team dynamic when you have it.

Not easy thing to do when you have a solid group of players beyond the 22 that can step in easily. That they can step in and do the job is perhaps a credit to the coaching staff.

I haven’t seen him mentioned yet, but McCarthy is pretty banged up, and is slow to get up after a few contests.

Might be worth giving him a rest, and bring Lohmann in.

Crows also have two very dangerous half forwards in Rankine and Rachelle who like to get up the ground and help the midfield. Both need a lock down job done on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back