Prediction Changes Round 8 Dogs V Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Well for a start I don’t subscribe to the view that the bump is dead. Just that it can't be used in a way that creates a real risk of head injury. And is the bump such an integral part of the game anyway? The shirtfront used to be legal. It's still not outlawed by name but any bump, shepherd or tackle that puts an exposed player at risk of serious injury (usually because he's focussed on the ball and not braced for impact) is not in the spirit or best interests of the game anyway. Especially head injury which has such life-altering consequences. Old timers might have loved the way that Kozzie Pickett cleaned up Bailey Smith but IMO both players are lucky that Smith didn't end up in hospital. I'm happy to see that type of play stamped out.

How would helmets kill the game?
I suspect you're not being serious, but if you are, do you really need me to answer that?

There are so many ways it would alter the game completely. It's nothing to do with bumping with or without helmets on. It's that they would all have to wear the things and everything they do would be affected. Perhaps even their peripheral vision, their centre of gravity and their balance, which would alter the entire dynamic of a match, the fast plays, the ball movement, the finger tip control. What chance we'd ever see Jamie Elliott soar into the air for the sort of speccy he took on ANZAC Day? I surely don't need to go on.

It would be just too much of a price to pay just to allow players to continue to bump. The game would be unrecognisable. And the players would be unrecognisable too! ;)

So A-League would be more attractive to watch. At least until such time as concern about CTE from headers causes the soccer authorities to mandate helmets.

On reflection we might be better introducing a hybrid form of AFL with limited ability to bump or tackle. Maybe we could call it ... ummm ... Gaelic Football?

And one last point: there's an ongoing debate about how effective helmets are at preventing concussions and CTE anyway. Soft shells probably don't do much to help. And hard-shell helmeted NFL players are still getting life-changing, life-shortening CTE.
I'll have to think on a more detailed response.

Currently the beers are kicking in and no helmet ever constructed is going to save me

Clarke has yet to be an emergency this season, I am not confident when give him a shot but we should.

I thought he would be right in the mix after his practice match against the hawks and that match showed what he can do surrounded by our senior players. And his VFL work has been strong all year, hits the scoreboard, tackles, sets up team mates.

Finding it hard to work out what the coaches want from him to have him in the mix

It's possible Rhylee West may have a niggle. Only reason I can think they wouldn't at least try it.
I think West has been playing well this season but imo there were a couple of pathetic chasing efforts he put in against Freo. Maybe Bev thought they were worth a week to send him a message. Or more likely they assessed it was probable he would be suspended anyway. But I am serious about West getting a rocket.

Cannot wait to watch us make Newcombe look like a combination of Ablett, Voss and Judd. For some reason he absolutely dominates us. Has done absolutely nothing all year apart from the pre-season game against us.

Secret weapon Caleb Daniel will be unleashed in another tagging role... from half forward. But does he take Newcombe... or Day? Or both?!

If only we had someone who has tagged and played defensive mid before? And imagine if that someone has even tagged Liber out of a game! But, nup, looks like we don't have anyone...

images - 2024-04-29T232444.801.jpeg

"And then I says to him - "Bevo, I'm a tagger, I can tag". And you know what he said? "We're in the middle of an evolution James. We're all evolving. I'm here to help you evolve into a wing/half-forward where sparsity is your friend." WTF does that even mean Jamarra?!"

"Harmesy, I actually have NFI what he's on about. I just spend games trying not to collide with Naughts and Lobby. And Darce and Cody. And Big Chill. I think I'm evolving into a dodgem car."

Khamis was atrocious on Saturday. Probably the worst game I’ve seen from a bulldog player for years. He’s incredibly lucky we have nobody to come in for him. Hopefully it’s a one off as he’s been decent this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Really? I saw worse as far back as Saturday in Caleb Daniel. Let alone over the past few years.

Clarke and Arthur Jones for me in for Weightman and West. Let’s not repurpose midfielders into these small forward spots. Will cop McNeil over Jones but definitely not over Clarke.

Libba and Jamarra also have to come in, which probably means Harmes/Daniel and Lobb out as well.

Gallagher, Bramble or Daniel/Harmes to sub.

Clarke and Arthur Jones for me in for Weightman and West. Let’s not repurpose midfielders into these small forward spots. Will cop McNeil over Jones but definitely not over Clarke.

Libba and Jamarra also have to come in, which probably means Harmes/Daniel and Lobb out as well.

Gallagher, Bramble or Daniel/Harmes to sub.
I think I'd prefer McNeil in over Arthur Jones. Which pains me to say because I'd prefer neither, but Jones has been pretty disappointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannot wait to watch us make Newcombe look like a combination of Ablett, Voss and Judd. For some reason he absolutely dominates us. Has done absolutely nothing all year apart from the pre-season game against us.
he kills us because he is aggressive! Plain and simple and our mids cant handle that most of the time.

Mcrae vs Newcombe... from stats perspective 90% of people would take Mcrae... I'd take newcombe, wont rack up as many possessions but would offer more around the ball and with his repeated work in close.

Last edited:
Annoying thing is a Sunday game too so you know Mcneil / Scott etc will be named on an extended bench and we have another 24 hours of arguing and antagonizing over it...

Annoying thing is a Sunday game too so you know Mcneil / Scott etc will be named on an extended bench and we have another 24 hours of arguing and antagonizing over it...
Oh yes, the annual let's-assign-the-Dogs-to-Mothers-Day fixturing. Our blockbuster.

I'm just surprised Norf and the Saints aren't playing on Sunday too.

On that subject, I've never understood why teams need to announce squads for Sunday games on Thursday night at the same time as the squad for the Friday game is released, yet it's not required for the occasional Monday game.

Why not just do it 2 days ahead of every game, so we get Friday teams on the Wednesday night, Saturday teams on the Thursday night and Sunday teams on the Friday night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back