Preview Changes v Carlton - Rd 5, 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee, a 23 year old male that's not the ultimate professional. We'd have no one on the list.
Hang on? You’re the first one to complain if you think people at the club aren’t doing their jobs 🤣 Ladhams is professional athlete who gets paid really well to do his job. He’s been in the system long enough to know how it works. Ladhams broke covid protocol and put his entire team at risk, cost the club money, and ffs dragged a couple of other decent players along with him. And the best bit? He’d already been warned and he did it after a loss. I live in a house with a bunch of 20 year olds, work hard play hard - but don’t be a selfish d*ck

Players are paid to play football. Their job is what happens on the field. The stuff they do at the club during the week - including being or being perceived to be a good bloke - should not be a major consideration. The fact that this mentality of players being more accountable to what happens at training or in the locker room than what happens on the field has been allowed to take hold at our club is a giant joke.

Players are paid to play football. Their job is what happens on the field. The stuff they do at the club during the week - including being or being perceived to be a good bloke - should not be a major consideration. The fact that this mentality of players being more accountable to what happens at training or in the locker room than what happens on the field has been allowed to take hold at our club is a giant joke.
In the past I would have agreed with you but we all had to change and adapt during covid. It’s an interesting discussion though, I imagine we all have different expectations. I’m happy with be the best sports person you can be, understand the history of the club, appreciate the opportunity you’ve been given and don’t be a racist/sexist idiot.

Hang on? You’re the first one to complain if you think people at the club aren’t doing their jobs 🤣 Ladhams is professional athlete who gets paid really well to do his job. He’s been in the system long enough to know how it works. Ladhams broke covid protocol and put his entire team at risk, cost the club money, and ffs dragged a couple of other decent players along with him. And the best bit? He’d already been warned and he did it after a loss. I live in a house with a bunch of 20 year olds, work hard play hard - but don’t be a selfish d*ck

Look at how many premiership teams have w***ers at their club. Hodge got himself suspended, drove drunk months after an assistant coach's son died in a car accident and lead his team to a flag in the same year. Tom Lynch belted half the full backs in the competition in 2020 and played in a flag. To suggest that we put a line through Ladhams because of the covid breach and then played him nearly every game for the next 18 months, only to trade him for nothing, is unforgivably stupid if that is what has happened.

Look at how many premiership teams have w***ers at their club. Hodge got himself suspended, drove drunk months after an assistant coach's son died in a car accident and lead his team to a flag in the same year. Tom Lynch belted half the full backs in the competition in 2020 and played in a flag. To suggest that we put a line through Ladhams because of the covid breach and then played him nearly every game for the next 18 months, only to trade him for nothing, is unforgivably stupid if that is what has happened.
Yeah I don’t put Ladhams in the same picture as Hodge or Lynch. Also, Hodge was .06. illegal yes but hardly in the same vein. I don’t think Ladhams is a w***er it was merely a d*ck move that he‘d been educated about. I agree it ended badly and he’d be handy but maybe I don’t rate him like others do.

Yeah I don’t put Ladhams in the same picture as Hodge or Lynch. Also, Hodge was .06. illegal yes but hardly in the same vein. I don’t think Ladhams is a w***er it was merely a d*ck move that he‘d been educated about. I agree it ended badly and he’d be handy but maybe I don’t rate him like others do.
The question is why was he played so regularly - including in big finals - for the 18 months after it happened.

I tend to agree with this. I think we've tried to be too much of a 'community leader' and that has impacted our football success. It isn't difficult to look at some other clubs who have won AFL flags and question some individuals that are premiership players, including our 04 flag side.

There may be off-field reasons why the club justified trading Pistol and Doogs but perhaps the club needs to acknowledge that people can be imperfect away from the club and still contribute to the clubs cause.
We all know Jack Cahill was a master of this, not all the flag hero's of yesteryear were model community leaders like Russell.

I tend to agree with this. I think we've tried to be too much of a 'community leader' and that has impacted our football success. It isn't difficult to look at some other clubs who have won AFL flags and question some individuals that are premiership players, including our 04 flag side.

There may be off-field reasons why the club justified trading Pistol and Doogs but perhaps the club needs to acknowledge that people can be imperfect away from the club and still contribute to the clubs cause.
We all know Jack Cahill was a master of this, not all the flag hero's of yesteryear were model community leaders like Russell.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. SPP still plays for us doesn't he?

Wingard's crime was playing fortnite and being into basketball. Rozee seems cut from a similar cloth and likely won't stick around.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. SPP still plays for us doesn't he?

Wingard's crime was playing fortnite and being into basketball. Rozee seems cut from a similar cloth and likely won't stick around.
SPP would have been traded if WC wanted him. Pistol, SPP, Aiden Johnson, Billy Frampton and another I won't name had/have the same off-field issue..............and together.

Fortnite wasn't the issue for Chad.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ladhams will never be a world beater but to say he would do worse than Todd Marshall playing as a permanent forward and given the same opportunity is laughable. At least he has the capacity to get over 10 possessions in a game for starters

Wingard, Polec, Howard, Ladhams.

How can any supporter still possibly like or respect Hinkley?

I don't have much problem with Polec and Howard being traded, especially Howard. And we got a good return at the trade table for both.

Wingard was a terrible decision but at least we got something for him, although I still maintain we could've got a half back flanker and a late first rounder without trading one of our best players.

Ladhams was just an all round s**t decision on every front. Obvious at the time and undeniable now.

I don't have much problem with Polec and Howard being traded, especially Howard. And we got a good return at the trade table for both.

Wingard was a terrible decision but at least we got something for him, although I still maintain we could've got a half back flanker and a late first rounder without trading one of our best players.

Ladhams was just an all round s**t decision on every front. Obvious at the time and undeniable now.

Agree, there are supporters who trying to emphasise off field issues to justify a poor trade. We did OK last year with 3 ruckmen on the list and we should have stuck with that formula. Pete Ladhams was no world beater but he was a good back up and if we decided to trade him we should have gone with trading in another experienced ruck. You are right, we got nothing in return and we weakened our list.
The really annoying thing is we took nothing out of 2014 when we got through with Lobbe as our lone ruckman nor from 2016 when Lobbe went down, Ryder was suspended and we had to use Jackson Trengove in ruck. When Ken was asked about Port surviving on the back of a lone ruckman in 2014 his response was, 'Yeah we dodged a bullet there.' That same bullet has been fired 8 years later and exposed Hinkley's inability to learn from past experience.

In his latest effort for the Swans Peter Ladhams had 24 disposals and 26 hitouts and that is as good as Lycett has done in any game this year.

Last edited:

I agree with what you say about Polec and Howard. The returns look solid, but it’s a gamble every time at the draft table.

Remember Ken trying to tell us Howard was a forward or he was nothing. Sack him.

I agree with what you say about Polec and Howard. The returns look solid, but it’s a gamble every time at the draft table.

Remember Ken trying to tell us Howard was a forward or he was nothing. Sack him.

Polec was a question of money. North threw big bucks at him and we were not prepared to match their offer. Polec was reputed to be getting 3.5M over 5 years. Given injury and poor form Polec has managed just 20 games since 2019. I do not think the deal has worked out well for North as they delisted then relisted Polec at the end of 2021. I doubt that Polec is still on 700k a year.

Dougal Howard is a different story. At 199cm I would not have traded him as he showed more than Todd Marshall at that stage and I still think he has more upside than the disappointing Todd Marshall. Dougal showed he could play either end of the ground and his 199cm 97kg frame would be pretty useful right now but we go with what we have when we line up against Carlton who have 3 players over 200cm and couple more around 195cm. Three of those talls are likely to be in the forward line tomorrow.

What's the final team?

Port Adelaide POWER - Round 5 vs Carlton
F: Finlayson - Marshall - Motlop
HF: Butters - Georgiades - Rozee
C: Amon - Boak - Houston
HB: Bonner - Aliir - Bergman
B: Jonas (C) - Clurey - Burton
R: Hayes - Powell-Pepper - Drew
INT: Mead - Motlop - Byrne-Jones - Dumont
EMERG: Mayes (SUB) - McEntee (Travelling)

Last edited:

Time will tell, I think you're pulling the trigger a little early 4 games into his new team.

Port Adelaide POWER - Round 5 vs Carlton
F: Finlayson - Marshall - Motlop
HF: Butters - Georgiades - Rozee
C: Amon - Boak - Houston
HB: Bonner - Aliir - Bergman
B: Jonas (C) - Clurey - Burton
R: Hayes - Powell-Pepper - Drew
INT: Mead - Rozee - Byrne-Jones - Dumont
EMERG: Mayes (SUB) - McEntee (Travelling)

It is actually not a bad side considering the players we have out. There is the chance for several players who have promised a lot to deliver a bit. Not sure how Rozee can start at HF and on the interchange. The team I have is -

1650091703665.png

It is actually not a bad side considering the players we have out. There is the chance for several players who have promised a lot to deliver a bit. Not sure how Rozee can start at HF and on the interchange. The team I have is -

View attachment 1374862

Ah I missed Motlop ... Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back