Unofficial Preview Changes v Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

#PlayFrampton

Okay even I accept that's not going to happen so here's something a bit left field. Bring back Aidyn Johnson. He copped a bit of a bollocking on Saturday for missing a couple of shots but he brought much that I like from an opportunist half forward. He has blistering pace, goal sense in that he put himself into good positions to score goals, he did get to plenty of contests and meaningfully harassed the receiver with fierce tackling. He finished with 3 goals and could have scored 5.

I know he's the poor guy with a target painted on his chest but Sam Gray as a half forward offered almost zero against West Coast. I couldn't help but think Johnson's pace would seriously threaten an open forward line.

But then that's not going to happen either so no changes. ;)

If Aidyn comes back in surely that's for White, not Samwise.

Drop Samwise you're looking at debuting Drew or if that sounds too inside-mid-heavy or too inexperienced a line up you do something not quite like for like... more run less grunt slightly better kicking... hello Jimmy!

impey has huge upside, i wouldnt mind him playing as a inside midfielder in the SANFL just to see if he could use his explosiveness to breakout of congestion, imagine if he could then do that at AFL level, that would be the ultimate xfactor player

I've been of a mindset that we have to persist with Impey at AFL level but this isn't a crazy idea. Might teach him to dispose of the footy a little earlier too rather than trying to do too much out on his own as is his habit. On the other hand he'd be trying to rove off Lobbe and Billy's hit outs...

Balanced in terms of overloading the 22 with defenders. Broadbent, Pittard & Houston can each fulfill the floating role.

yeah, fair enough.
I think I'd prefer we just don't bring Broadbent back then. Stick to our own structure, if the opposition doesn't have the talls, try and use it to our advantage (much like crows v bulldogs friday).

Young hasn't been as poor as people seem to think. The difference is, he was kicking the goals that he is missing this year.

He is still getting those shots on target, it's just the accuracy off.

Impey will be a gun. He just needs to work harder to be involved. But at the moment, i'm not sure he's doing enough. In fact, if not for his huge upside, there's no way he would be in the team.

Ken knows he will be a star, which is why he persists.

I think putting him on the ball isn't such a bad idea. Get him more involved. He's got great evasion and speed, and is a good tackler.

Impey has been invisible for a long while now but then he pops up in the last quarter of the West Coast game and has a couple high impact possessions. If Ken hasn't dropped him by now, he certainly won't this week IMO.

White is probably more in the gun which would be a shame, aside from a few uncharacteristic mistakes I thought White was involved in the game for the 4 quarters and had some impact.

Sam Gray had arguably his worst game of the year but he probably has enough credit to hold his spot, could also be in danger.

I think the most tactical move would be to replace Hombsch with Broadbent as it will keep our balance solid and keep Atley in the team. North play Goldstein, Brown and Daw as their KPF/Rucks so we shouldn't need 3 KPDs.
I would do the same. Hombsch for Broadbent.

Out. Impey.
In: Johnson

Out: Atley
In: Frampton

A lot to like about Impey but no 4 qtr efforts for some time now. I'd rather give Johnson another crack as a HFF. We would still retain pace and he might snag a few goals. His debut was impressive.

Atley showed some promising signs and that he is willing to mix it with the big boys. He has a good future in our midfield.
Although it would be great to give Atley another game, I believe its time to addres our forward line. Trengove can only be described as "servicable" as a forward. After Framptons peformance on the weekend, its time to see what he can do in the AFL. I liked the way he attacked the contest and showed some real mobility around the ground. Trengove to the backline, Frampton forward.

FF Wingard Dixon Westhoff
HF Johnson Frampton SPP
C Polec Ebert White
HB Pittard Trengove Houston
FB DBJ Clurey Jonas

1R Ryder Wines R.Gray

Int. Hartlett, S.Gray, Boak, Hombsch

NTHMELB-2.jpg

State league affiliate: Werribee (VFL)
This weekend: Coburg v Werribee - Saturday, July 8, 2pm, Piranha Park

Hard-running rookie midfielder Will Fordham continued his good patch of form, leading the stats sheet for the North-listed players in the 18-point win.

Fordham, who is yet to make his debut since being recruited with pick No.33 in the 2014 NAB AFL Rookie Draft, was the only Kangaroo to feature in Werribee's best.

Ruckman Braydon Preuss had a solid first half, accumulating 25 hit-outs, nine kicks, five marks and kicking a goal.

PORT-2.jpg

State league affiliate: Port Adelaide (SANFL)
This weekend: Port Adelaide v Adelaide - Saturday, July 8, 2.40pm, Alberton Oval

Billy Frampton dominated the airways against Adelaide's VFL team, taking 10 marks and booting three goals in an impressive performance for the third-year tall, who is yet to debut at AFL level.

Matthew Lobbe took the bulk of the ruck work and won his position with 31 hit-outs, while Brendon Ah Chee (23 possessions, seven marks and five inside 50s) and Aaron Young (33, eight tackles and a goal) were strong contributors.

Mature-age recruit Brett Eddy kicked three goals for Port in the 17.10 (112) to 8.6 (54) win.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-09/around-the-state-leagues-whos-starring-for-your-club

I loathe the argument that Eddy is undeserving of an AFL call-up for lack of 'defensive pressure'. What about Aaron Young, or Jarman Impey, or Robbie Gray? Why has the same 'defensive pressure' not been demanded of them throughout the season? Furthermore, how do those of you who cite 'defensive pressure' as a reason measure it, and what is a pass mark in your book?

Eddy takes strong marks, he kicks accurately, he has an impact on the scoreboard, and he drastically improves our forward structure. That is what he was recruited for, and he does all of it brilliantly. The only real question mark earlier in the season was about his fitness.

Seriously, why would we bother bringing him across from South Adelaide if - after witnessing him play there for four seasons - we didn't believe he was up to the task? It makes zero sense.

Last edited:
Earlier I posted that S Gray and Impey are safe for the Kangaroos game. I'm noticing that Impey's name is in the frame for a game with the Maggies. I know he does go missing for long periods and every now and again he does a play that will end up on a highlight's reel. But, the boy has flexibility, in that he can also play centre/defence and this can certainly lift his work rate
There's a lot of talk about Westy becoming our next 3rd tall permanent forward, after Charlie & Jacko. I would not like to see that happen because as with Impey, when Westy is on song he provides the team with so much flexibility. How many times have we seen him in the last 5 minutes of a quarter be that extra marking defender. He does it so well at it.

I guess you can see where this going - make Eddy the 3rd tall forward. Currently his form with the Maggies is tremendous and his is such a smart player.
This is this
Out: White
In: Eddy
After the Maggies game on Saturday this was being demanded by all of the supporters. After Sunday's game the demand for Eddy to be in the Power side still must be strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great, let's just put 6 defenders up forward then. Sure, they won't kick any goals but I'm sure the defensive pressure will be excellent.
This works. Just ask Dimma.
Or this might not work. Just ask Kane.

Having watched the Roos this week I was surprised at just how young their lineup was. They've got some ok kids coming through, but their side was seemingly very young, or at least inexperienced. For that reason you'd anticipate a reasonably comfortable win, and I'd really hope Atley gets to be part of that.

Hopefully the coaching staff give SPP a rest this week allowing Atley to get another crack.

We should have Drew, Neade, Amon & Broadbent flooding back into selection frame for a game this weekend as well so we may see Summo in the Magpies reserves again.

If Aidyn comes back in surely that's for White, not Samwise.

Drop Samwise you're looking at debuting Drew or if that sounds too inside-mid-heavy or too inexperienced a line up you do something not quite like for like... more run less grunt slightly better kicking... hello Jimmy!

Looked to me like Sam played a permanent half forward flank and just couldn't get into the game at all. Atley appeared to have taken his on-ball role.

In that case he is fair game for a player like Johnson who is an opportunist half forward goalkicker with tons of pace who applies manic pressure. I would pick him ahead of Neade any day now.

Having watched the Roos this week I was surprised at just how young their lineup was. They've got some ok kids coming through, but their side was seemingly very young, or at least inexperienced. For that reason you'd anticipate a reasonably comfortable win, and I'd really hope Atley gets to be part of that.

Hopefully the coaching staff give SPP a rest this week allowing Atley to get another crack.

We should have Drew, Neade, Amon & Broadbent flooding back into selection frame for a game this weekend as well so we may see Summo in the Magpies reserves again.
Just for accuracy sake.
There was a sum difference of 15 days average between the starting 22 of PA and NM on the weekend.

I love the debate on this board. Chuckled when I see these 4 threads stacked on top of each other...

upload_2017-7-10_14-39-4.png

This BF group authentically dissects all aspects of the club that I love. Who gives a s**t if it can come across as negative?

Opinions are like assholes - we've all got one and everyone else's stinks!

Just for accuracy sake.
There was a sum difference of 15 days average between the starting 22 of PA and NM on the weekend.
Yeah fair enough, I just looked and their average age was well over Freo's, they just certainly looked to have a lot of inexperienced/young kids running around. I was surprised. Our bigger bodied midfield should have a field day against such a lineup.

#PlayFrampton

Okay even I accept that's not going to happen so here's something a bit left field. Bring back Aidyn Johnson. He copped a bit of a bollocking on Saturday for missing a couple of shots but he brought much that I like from an opportunist half forward. He has blistering pace, goal sense in that he put himself into good positions to score goals, he did get to plenty of contests and meaningfully harassed the receiver with fierce tackling. He finished with 3 goals and could have scored 5.

I know he's the poor guy with a target painted on his chest but Sam Gray as a half forward offered almost zero against West Coast. I couldn't help but think Johnson's pace would seriously threaten an open forward line.

But then that's not going to happen either so no changes. ;)
The lack of a genuine pacy small crumbing forward is almost our weakest link IMO. Johnson is our best option...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back