Preview Changes v Port round 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Gah. Pus in the middle with actual rucks back in. Forward setup remains an issue. Brown is trying in a role that doesn't suit but isn't doing a heap. Weid and MBrown not great options.
On the plus side, it seems the mystery injuries pissed off for the week.
Port in Alice next week. Not sure that any changes will be made, mainly due to lacking options. Chandler maybe forces his way in with another starring role for Casey?

Visceral reactions:
Out: May, Salem, Harmes, Jackson, Spargo, Gawn, Bedford, Bowey, Jordon, Fritsch, Sparrow, Pickett, B Brown

In: Laurie, Rosman, Tomlinson, Van Rooyen, Rivers, Weideman, Dunstan, Hunt, Baker, D Smith, Chandler, M Brown, Woewodin

Last edited:
Out: Ben Brown
In Weideman.

basically trash for garbage. its amazing how bad Brown is going the we celebrate bad games instead of terrible games.

Out: Centre square line up of Petracca, Viney, Oliver
In: Something bloody different! how slow in the head do you have to be to not make a change. In: Neal-Bullen, Oliver, Pickett/Jackson/Salem/Brayshaw. Anything!

Out: Bedford, Sparrow (omitted), Bowey (rested)
In: Chandler, Laurie, Rivers

Sparrow out because he had 0 tackles. Kid is way too big for his boots right now. Doesn’t know how to play his role when the tide is against us.

Given the impotence of our forward line, I’d almost be tempted to bring Hunt back as a leading forward like in 2020. His one strength was leading into space, something nobody but McDonald does. Could be a good chance to debut JVR against a weaker defence in a lower stakes environment too

How would you feel being JVR watching spuds like Ben Brown take your spot in the team. It's an absolute personal insult to JVR that they don't think he is better than Ben Brown.

Sparrow out because he had 0 tackles. Kid is way too big for his boots right now. Doesn’t know how to play his role when the tide is against us.

Given the impotence of our forward line, I’d almost be tempted to bring Hunt back as a leading forward like in 2020. His one strength was leading into space, something nobody but McDonald does. Could be a good chance to debut JVR against a weaker defence in a lower stakes environment too
Did Bowey get exposed defensively tonight? I’ve been wondering for a few weeks if his offensive output is offsetting his defensive responsibility. Rivers had similar issues but may be sue a swap back.

I cannot take 1 more season without a good key forward next season. if we don't draft or trade in a genuine Key position sized forward I'm gonna blow up. People wondering why we're over handballing. It's because the players look up and there's no-one to kick to. And in the odd occasion that there is someone to kick to, it's Ben Brown, who has the least physical presence of any forward in the league. Use the Jackson money and picks to bring someone in please.

Was kinda thinking what's the point of changing anything but I agree with Sparrow and Bowey out. Boweys lost a little of his edge and Sparrow feels like a nothing player at the moment. Seems all he can do is get a ball, get tackled and maybe get a handball out. Has no offence or defence to his game.

Bedford for Chandler I dunno, Bedford shouldn't be blamed for not getting it cause of how we went inside 50 but needs to atleast defend like AnB

Sparrow was fine, there is more to the game than tackle numbers.

Kozzy decided to put on 0 pressure until the last quarter but gets no mention? Weird.

One thing I find bullshit is this whole everyone trains 2 roles rhetoric. Brayshaw seems to be the only one who can actually play multiple roles. Salem, Bowey, Pig dont leave defence, ANB Spargo and Kozzy don't leave the front half. Jordan and Langdon stay wide. Viney and Oliver stay middle.

I don't want us to throw out the gameplan every week. But why not drop Gawn behind the ball and send Petty forward for a quarter. Why not throw Kozzy in the middle? Send Salem to the wing and have him concentrating on switching and hitting the corridor. Gus on ball, Trac one out in the goals?
These don't have to work but this game especially it felt like Geelongs game plan and system had us figured out so we needed to change.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I find bullshit is this whole everyone trains 2 roles rhetoric. Brayshaw seems to be the only one who can actually play multiple roles. Salem, Bowey, Pig dont leave defence, ANB Spargo and Kozzy don't leave the front half. Jordan and Langdon stay wide. Viney and Oliver stay forward.

I don't want us to throw out the gameplan every week. But why not drop Gawn behind the ball and send Petty forward for a quarter. Why not throw Kozzy in the middle? Send Salem to the wing and have him concentrating on switching and hitting the corridor. Gus on ball, Trac one out in the goals?
These don't have to work but this game especially it felt like Geelongs game plan and system had us figured out so we needed to change.

We should absolutely look at throwing Petty forward at some point. Probably wont happen however coz hes playing so well in defense atm and May is well down, but yeah, I said the idea of putting Disco in his place (when hes back and had a game or two in the VFL first) in the backline and moving him forward should be explored given how desperate we are for a KPF who can contest in Goody's stubborn gameplan.

We should absolutely look at throwing Petty forward at some point. Probably wont happen however coz hes playing so well in defense atm and May is well down, but yeah, I said the idea of putting Disco in his place (when hes back and had a game or two in the VFL first) in the backline and moving him forward should be explored given how desperate we are for a KPF who can contest in Goody's stubborn gameplan.
Doesn't need to be all game either. If we are engineering the extra and controlling it behind the ball then that's fine. But May, Lever and Petty were all tied up so it was irrelevant. Give it a quarter or two see if he can wreak havoc in the air.

Hardwicks a 3x premiership coach and he doesn't mind moving Balta, Short and Baker around to change a look up.

One thing I find bullshit is this whole everyone trains 2 roles rhetoric. Brayshaw seems to be the only one who can actually play multiple roles. Salem, Bowey, Pig dont leave defence, ANB Spargo and Kozzy don't leave the front half. Jordan and Langdon stay wide. Viney and Oliver stay middle.

Doesn't need to be all game either. If we are engineering the extra and controlling it behind the ball then that's fine. But May, Lever and Petty were all tied up so it was irrelevant. Give it a quarter or two see if he can wreak havoc in the air.

Hardwicks a 3x premiership coach and he doesn't mind moving Balta, Short and Baker around to change a look up.
Agree with all of the above. I suppose the ******* idiot in me hopes that we kept our powder dry in case of finals?

In: Van Rooyen, Chandler

Out: Oliver (inj), Spargo

I love Spargo when he’s good but he’s not doing enough to warrant being a lock. Bedford on thin ice obviously but stick by what I said last week about small forwards needing to get 3-4 games in a row to see what they’ve got.

Pretty sure Clarry must have a break to be that sore so Sparrow gets a reprieve and a chance to show he can play midfield.

Extra tall makes sense this week, if you can keep Allir occupied Port defence are very susceptible. Great week for JVR to debut

Sparrow was fine, there is more to the game than tackle numbers.
I agree there is more to footy than tackle numbers, but the rest of his game was shoddy too. 11 touches and 1 clearance. The only think he did well was that handball out to Brown for his goal. His role is to be a pressure mid and he isn’t doing it.

I agree there is more to footy than tackle numbers, but the rest of his game was shoddy too. 11 touches and 1 clearance. The only think he did well was that handball out to Brown for his goal. His role is to be a pressure mid and he isn’t doing it.

He was pretty clean all night below his knees when he got a chance. I thought he was fine honestly. Spargo and Kozzy far worse imo.

I get the frustration tho.

i think he has some points in the bank as he's been playing good footy lately

He was pretty clean all night below his knees when he got a chance. I thought he was fine honestly. Spargo and Kozzy far worse imo.

I get the frustration tho.
I'm frustrated with sparrow because I don't see a progression from last year. Feels like he's drifted back to a bit part player after stepping up in finals.

I'm frustrated with sparrow because I don't see a progression from last year. Feels like he's drifted back to a bit part player after stepping up in finals.

Hard to make progress when youre a link up player and we move the ball like a bunch of primary school kids playing kick to kick.

He was so good in the finals coz our ball movement allowed him and others to be.

Its like what I said about we are only operating at a maximum of 60% right now, we have good enough players, we've seen it, the gameplan simply isn't allowing them to play at their best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back