Channel 10, Paramount Plus TV Rights Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have a link to that rumor? Would love to read about it.

Can't say a lot of the non major codes have good deals atm. Nbl is looking the best, but netball and union are both not great deals in regards to fta and both forms of hockey have decreased its presence. Qrl and nswrl are both mainly behind there own pay walls (qrl has a couple on fox and nswrl has atlast one but its usually the double headder game), thankfully the afl have put there comps on its own site (wouldn't think there would be a lot of value in second grade afl behind a pay wall).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are the biggest comps in each respective state.
Yeah, but they are more akin to vafa so tier-wise not the same level as vfl, wafl or sanfl.

Could be interesting to see if the potential advent of a reserves comp will affect how the afl syd comp is used/seen. But that's a different discussion/debate

Have any other broadcasters actually shown any interest in the A-League?

Plenty did, Optus made a play for it, Foxtel wanted it but were outbid by 10/Paramount even though they had a better platform. There actually isn't a long term rival in the A-League season to it. BBL is only a short term comp and that has gone backwards massively in attendances and TV viewership despite it being pretty much the best T20 comp in the world save for the IPL.

Optus taking over from Paramount may be the way to go going forward. A sub fee of $11.99 on Optus and then offer $5 a month off to PL subs for anyone who has an A-League subscription seems a smart way of doing things.

10 to broadcast 7.45pm Saturday game and 5pm Sunday game every weekend. The rest to be streamed.

Plenty did, Optus made a play for it, Foxtel wanted it but were outbid by 10/Paramount even though they had a better platform. There actually isn't a long term rival in the A-League season to it. BBL is only a short term comp and that has gone backwards massively in attendances and TV viewership despite it being pretty much the best T20 comp in the world save for the IPL.

Optus taking over from Paramount may be the way to go going forward. A sub fee of $11.99 on Optus and then offer $5 a month off to PL subs for anyone who has an A-League subscription seems a smart way of doing things.

10 to broadcast 7.45pm Saturday game and 5pm Sunday game every weekend. The rest to be streamed.

Why would you do them as separate subs? Just have the Optus sub go up by $1-2. Think they would want to make pub subscriptions cheap enough to make it worth it because then you get a lot more pubs showing the 9.30 EPL game which would be pretty appealing.

Why would you do them as separate subs? Just have the Optus sub go up by $1-2. Think they would want to make pub subscriptions cheap enough to make it worth it because then you get a lot more pubs showing the 9.30 EPL game which would be pretty appealing.

Good point, never thought about it that way. Increase all Optus Sport subs to $27.99 including A-League actually seems to be a winner, would also force eurosnobs to get onboard. Those days when you could crack open a six pack and watch A-League from 5 to 9.30pm followed by an early PL game need to be brought back.

Optus would be ideal to pair with the EPL. I don't recall them bidding last time. Foxtel did but it was insultingly low from memory.

I always thought Paramount was the only serious bidder. Looked good on paper but the incentive based nature of the deal hurts now those benchmarks haven't been reached. It could bankrupt the league if they can't leave it.

Optus would be ideal to pair with the EPL. I don't recall them bidding last time. Foxtel did but it was insultingly low from memory.

I always thought Paramount was the only serious bidder. Looked good on paper but the incentive based nature of the deal hurts now those benchmarks haven't been reached. It could bankrupt the league if they can't leave it.

Both Optus & Fox bidded. Paramount's bid was overs in reality but with some questionable terms. I reckon Townsend should be actually investigated about it and therefore APL to renegotiate or terminate the deal unilaterally.

Both Optus & Fox bidded. Paramount's bid was overs in reality but with some questionable terms. I reckon Townsend should be actually investigated about it and therefore APL to renegotiate or terminate the deal unilaterally.

Do you remember what Optus bid? Mutually terminating the deal with Paramount may be an option but doing it unilaterally sounds like trouble to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back