Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Sickening"? A tad much?

Not at all. Wanting a young midfielder to perhaps get senior opportunities is ridiculous. How dare you.

It's not like his output in his first few games was better than every other midfielder we've had in recent years or anything.*

(* - oh that's right, it was.)

"Sickening"? A tad much?
Not really. Pretty apt descriptor.
He’s only pined for as our mids are old and we need quality youth.

The harsher reality is Parfitt won’t be more than a B grade foot soldier, Narkle is touch and go to make it and Constable won’t if he doesn’t start doing what his coaches tell him he needs to rectify. As it stands we know from Matthew Scarlett less than a week ago that he and Clark are in the reserves and have been given clear instruction on deficiencies. That is an extremely recent appraisal.

Certainly more relevant than how many touches he got over a year ago.
Not at all. Wanting a young midfielder to perhaps get senior opportunities is ridiculous. How dare you.

It's not like his output in his first few games was better than every other midfielder we've had in recent years or anything.*

(* - oh that's right, it was.)
Speaking of. Awkward.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and in this instance does you no favours and your argument is as strong as papier mache

Yep. I'll admit to that. Absolutely. Don't see that as a problem though.
I'm hoping Parfitt can be more than that, but unfortunately you are probably right. Maybe slightly harsh. Needs to get far fitter for a start to even find out.
Agree on Narkle too. Bit less than touch and go for me.

I wish those highlights packages were easily shareable on the forum so that everyone could make more informed, evidence-based judgments of the player.
They are.

Download AFL app
Go to stats tab
Search "Constable"
Tap chook
Select game
Once it starts playing then tap the bar at the top to switch to "extended highlights"

Voila

They are.

Download AFL app
Go to stats tab
Search "Constable"
Tap chook
Select game
Once it starts playing then tap the bar at the top to switch to "extended highlights"

Voila

I know, but most people won't do that as the process involves a multi-step effort, whereas if it were possible to embed those videos in posts (in the same way that YouTube vids can be embedded), more people would actually watch them, which would allow for richer conversations.

I know, but most people won't do that as the process involves a multi-step effort, whereas if it were possible to embed those videos in posts (in the same way that YouTube vids can be embedded), more people would actually watch them, which would allow for richer conversations.
Yeah, would be a really good source.

I think I'll go over Lachie Fogarty soon. Another one of those I was excited about at first by don't really remember much of the specifics of why now that he has barely played in a year

Certainly effort and enthusiasm can be underrated and doesn't show up in stats. The older guys have the wife, kids, mortgage etc self preservation comes into play, one percenters lose their importance , perspectives change complacency creeps in. On the other side of the coin the younger guys, who's efforts go unrewarded and are held to a different set of standards start to taper off. Why bust your guts to get better if some untouchable gets picked anyway and the club continues to import 'ready made' journeymen.
You kinda make your own destiny if you’re a young player. Tim Kelly proved that. Those who don’t bust their gut don’t end up being the ones who force their way into the team and end up earning in the top 5%.

If other players being picked before you makes you give up, then it’s unlikely that you’ll have a rewarding career.

Hopefully people can stop comparing Stevens and chook as they play different roles and are not interchangeable.

Steven is an elite defensive midfielder. His second third and even fourth efforts at times and pressure acts are elite. His defensive pressure is elite for a midfielder.

it’s a matter of getting match fitness, not his actual defensive game. Which is the issue for constable

Not really. Pretty apt descriptor.

The harsher reality is Parfitt won’t be more than a B grade foot soldier, Narkle is touch and go to make it and Constable won’t if he doesn’t start doing what his coaches tell him he needs to rectify. As it stands we know from Matthew Scarlett less than a week ago that he and Clark are in the reserves and have been given clear instruction on deficiencies. That is an extremely recent appraisal.

Certainly more relevant than how many touches he got over a year ago.

Speaking of. Awkward.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and in this instance does you no favours and your argument is as strong as papier mache

agree with your post but a bit harsh and premature cal of parfitt.

is only 22 and has enormous upside. His sideways movement and ability to create time and space at a contest is quite elite. Reminds me a lot of Sam mitchel the way he moves around the footy.

had literally no pre season again the poor kid. Deserves a bit more of an appraisal. Think he has the capacity to be an A grade midfielder around stoppages.

his ability to create time and space with the ball to set up opportunities and have others run off and feed it out to them during that time will be instrumental and valuable long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe it was you who used to do those player spotlights. They were great! I always used to watch those.

Steven is an elite defensive midfielder. His second third and even fourth efforts at times and pressure acts are elite. His defensive pressure is elite for a midfielder.

it’s a matter of getting match fitness, not his actual defensive game. Which is the issue for constable

It seems to be a mentality and demand of the GFC that every player, especially our kids, further develop the 'defensive' aspect of their game.

It'd be refreshing to hear a player being asked and encouraged to develop their attacking skills, to 'take the game on'.........I can't remember hearing anything like that emanating from the club in a long time.

Might be another reason why we play such a visually putrid brand of footy.

I believe it was you who used to do those player spotlights. They were great! I always used to watch those.

It's been a few years now since I made them on a regular basis. I do think they added something to the post match discussions. I would have no problem continuing them but I simply don't have the time anymore unfortunately.

Yeah, would be a really good source.

I think I'll go over Lachie Fogarty soon. Another one of those I was excited about at first by don't really remember much of the specifics of why now that he has barely played in a year

he has been injured since last year.

It's been a few years now since I made them on a regular basis. I do think they added something to the post match discussions. I would have no problem continuing them but I simply don't have the time anymore unfortunately.
Would make any kind of difference if there was a patreon-style arrangement?

It seems to be a mentality and demand of the GFC that every player, especially our kids, further develop the 'defensive' aspect of their game.

It'd be refreshing to hear a player being asked and encouraged to develop their attacking skills, to 'take the game on'.........I can't remember hearing anything like that emanating from the club in a long time.

Might be another reason why we play such a visually putrid brand of footy.

it is pretty widely known that these kids as underage players are fairly attacking and imbalanced in that regard. Their defensive abilities are far less than their attacking skills when they join AFL ranks. Have heard Paul Roos quote as much also.

majority of the top teams over the past decade or so have been defense first and build attacks from their defensive game.

Most of the attacking sides are lower ranked teams When you look at the sides.

it is pretty widely known that these kids as underage players are fairly attacking and imbalanced in that regard. Their defensive abilities are far less than their attacking skills when they join AFL ranks. Have heard Paul Roos quote as much also.

majority of the top teams over the past decade or so have been defense first and build attacks from their defensive game.

Most of the attacking sides are lower ranked teams When you look at the sides.

Yep, and our senior side is unbalanced the other way.

We've become so defensive we've forgotten how to attack efficiently, and there seems to be little effort in teaching us what to do with the ball once we get to the F50.

You keep stamping the flair and 'attack' out of the players you eventually end up with an impotent team.

The scariest part about that comment was that they gave Jack Steven a pass for his first game.

Cos, you know, 'potential'.......so the bar was set low.

He could potentially get fit again. He could potentially get back to his form of several years ago.

He might not either.

Kind of like blooding a kid and not being sure what they'll bring, or when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back