Player Watch Charlie Dixon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How I hope Charlie's first 4 games for the club go:
Ease in versus Richmond, play a half and kick a couple goals. Step it up against the Saints and kick 3 or 4, with hopefully a big enough lead at 3 quarter time to bring him off and put him on ice. First real 4 quarter hit out in the showdown and in a tight and tense encounter Charlie kicks 5 including 2 in the last to get us home by 6 points. In round 3 Charlie announces himself as the new mayor of Port Adelaide with a 10 goal haul in 100 point drubbing against a hapless Bombers outfit.
But in reality, it often takes a player several games or a season to really gel.

I will be happy if Charlie moves freely and gets through the game against the tiggers unscathed.
A bonus of course would be `our ' Charlie taking a hanger over `their ' charlie, resulting in `their ' charlie pointing his finger at the spirit in the sky. :D

I will be happy if Charlie moves freely and gets through the game against the tiggers unscathed.
A bonus of course would be `our ' Charlie taking a hanger over `their ' charlie, resulting in `their ' charlie pointing his finger at the spirit in the sky. :D

Hanger? I think we're all keen on a shirtfront tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If some of the posts on this thread are any indication a few of our supporters have absolutely no idea about Charlie Dixon's playing record. In six seasons he has played just 65 games which is an average of around 11 games per season. He has never been able to complete a full season with 16 games last year his best effort. Maybe Charlie has been unlucky with injury and his fortunes will change with us, I certainly hope so.

However given Charlie's short history with us and the fact he has already picked up a knee injury it is obvious that we will have to nurse him. It is also obvious that some of us have looked at those 200cm and 105kg stats and thought, 'you beaut here is player we can play anywhere and use as a human battering ram'. It is not that easy Dixon has to be managed carefully so that we maximise his strengths. I have no doubt the Charlie can play in ruck or hold down a key defensive position but I also have no doubt that will shorten his career. Since Tredrea's retirement we have looked for a tall powerful key forward who can take a mark and provide a target up forward. We probably have that in Dixon provided we manage him carefully.

You're correct about managing him carefully but i'm not sure taking his time at Gold Coast is a great gauge on his durability judging how they've managed their players in years gone by.

A quick look at their current injury list shows their medical & fitness team have no idea how to keep a list on the park, they've all but broken an extremely fit superstar like Ablett who hardly had an injury in his first 12 years of football.

If some of the posts on this thread are any indication a few of our supporters have absolutely no idea about Charlie Dixon's playing record. In six seasons he has played just 65 games which is an average of around 11 games per season. He has never been able to complete a full season with 16 games last year his best effort. Maybe Charlie has been unlucky with injury and his fortunes will change with us, I certainly hope so.

However given Charlie's short history with us and the fact he has already picked up a knee injury it is obvious that we will have to nurse him. It is also obvious that some of us have looked at those 200cm and 105kg stats and thought, 'you beaut here is player we can play anywhere and use as a human battering ram'. It is not that easy Dixon has to be managed carefully so that we maximise his strengths. I have no doubt the Charlie can play in ruck or hold down a key defensive position but I also have no doubt that will shorten his career. Since Tredrea's retirement we have looked for a tall powerful key forward who can take a mark and provide a target up forward. We probably have that in Dixon provided we manage him carefully.

You are samrt.

Carn

Yes this is all fine, but there are plenty of players who were injury prone while developing who have improved out of sight in that regard under Burgess.

Gray and Hartlett for starters.

I am not saying that we should not have traded for Dixon nor that he will not be an asset. All I am saying is he will need careful management with Charlie and asking him to charge around the field like a hack running through the opposition and marking kick ins while doing the ruckwork is not careful management. If we want someone to run through Troy Chaplin or mark the kick ins or spell Lobbe in the ruck it is best to get someone else to do it. As for that 'we have Burgess therefore injuries will not happen philosophy '- it has not worked for Dixon thus far. Injuries happen regardless of who is on the support staff and some players get more than their fair share.

If we look at Charlie's playing record thus far it hardly instils confidence, if he gets more than 16 games in, which I hope he does, he will have had his best season since debut.

Marto_ thanks for reminding me of this pic by liking a comment. lols were had.
Believe it or not I was Googling for pics of Charlie Dixon after reading Jackson Trengove talking about what a "monster" Dixon is.

That pic came up in the results and I could not contain my curiosity :drunk:
When i see Charlie's first pack mark and goal ... well.. there better be some lube handy
I bet that was Alex Rance's reaction......

hmm when I searched for "monster" Dix I was um.... a bit surprised o_O

First things first - not all the games missed were through injury.

Secondly he has played an increased number of games every year (10, 12,13,14,16) and last year would have been 17 without the suspension

Though it must also be noted that he didn't finish every game he started I'm sure

But I don't see why port fans shouldn't be banking on him again posting a career high for games played and play 19 or more games next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back