Toast Cheney

Cheney's value is that we now have someone in our backline along with Talia who is just an automatic selection without even thinking about it. All successful teams have those rocks in defence that just play every game. We haven't had that since Bock left.

Without injuries we will soon get to a point where we have Talia, Cheney and Lever who are automatic selections. A big luxury.

And the peanuts who bagged the trade!
Exactly!

We all knew our problem was our non-tier 1 players & lack of quality depth... so we bring in a couple of ready-made players where we are vulnerable (mid defender & ruck/forward backup) by downgrading a 1st pick & still getting the player we targeted. It was a calculated risk.

Added hardness, dependability & experience to our young backline. Great for Cheney too, as we are playing him more in his VFL mid role than having to cover the big bodies when he got his chance with Hawks. Confidently predicted he would be in our best 22 based on what I had seen of him at the Hawks. Fits well with Walshy, as great at leaving his man when needed & plays total team footy. He is like a Bassett in this respect.

Who was it on here who didn't rate him at all and said he'd be a depth player at best???

Own up. Who was it?
I know it's not the done thing but I'll own up.
This is what I said
"We may end up with Cheney, a defender shorter than Brodie Smith, hardly a KPD and has only 41 games in 6 seasons to his name. A slight upgrade on our 3rd tall option some have said. Not addressing our needs identified by our coach, unless he's a left footer."

In my defence I wasn't querying that trade that was done but whether he was directly addressing our biggest needs.
As Mark Williams would say "Mr Kitch, you were wrong!". I am however very pleased that he's every bit the Ottens replacement we DID need.

I was quietly confident he'd be important for us. Compliments our back 6 beautifully and has a really reliable set of skills.

Would be interesting to hear the musings of a a knowledgeble Hawthorn fan.

Hawks fans have mentioned Cheney is a solid defender providing you don't play him on a monster forward. He's struggled before against guys like Hawkins etc.

Posted this gif last week but this mark was excellent

View attachment 123995

That mark is an absolute gem. The North player clearly had better position but Cheney just wanted it more.

Last edited:
Never said anything bad about him nor that he wouldn't make it at our club, just didn't have high hopes, which I consider to be perfectly reasonable considering his career thus far.

Yeah I don't have high hopes for him either. All I really want from him is to be a better defensive option than Reilly, Shaw, Otten etc. So far he's performed above my expectations and I can see those other players struggling to get back into the side. Even when they are fit again, I can't see Reilly or Shaw getting another game unless we have injuries. Otten will most likely return to the side but I'm really concerned for him. Walsh's game plan is all about speed and hard running and Otten has never been overly quick, furthermore how many AFL players are still going after having had both knees reconstructed?

Not intending to bag Reilly given his injury but Cheney is basically playing his role, he has been very very good so far. Keeps this up and he's a bargain.

And can posters not confuse the recruitment of Cheney with criticism of swapping 10 for 14, they are two seperate trades.

Hawks fans have mentioned Cheney is a solid defender providing you don't play him on a monster forward. He's struggled before against guys like Hawkins etc.

Got it exactly. Glad to see he's started so well for you. Was a shame to lose him but with our list not really a surprise. Could have made a difference to us yesterday after Frawley went down (if he was in the team). Looks to be a great pickup for you guys.

Cheney and Laird in your back 6 and you got two absolute tough nuts. Love it. Always need players who won't shirk the hard stuff. Has that Glenn Archer feel about him.

Just what we needed. Also seems that we are just what he needed as well, which means you just know he won;t ever leave anything on the field (except flattened bodies)

Got to say he has been a great pick up. Worth what we paid for both guys for him alone.
I was saying we needed a hard headed tough no quit defender in the Jonas/Hombsh mold. Well looks like we got it, how be it with red hair.

Loving what Cheney has brought so far. Tough, hard at the contest (and his opponent :D ), and composed under pressure with a good set of skills on him. His marking ability has certainly surprised me too.

Under rated foot skills and outstanding in the air for his size. Really liking what he brings, especially with Shaw and Otten injured and Lever about 40kg below his ideal playing weight, he's filling an important hole.

40 kgs. gees we'll have to wait until he retires and plumps up like D Jarman.

What a ripper couple of games he's had to start off with us. I love him already! Committed to the ball, not afraid to hurt his opponent when he gets a chance, and (one awful kick on the weekend aside) a pretty nice user of the ball as well.

I'm hoping he can be another Bassett for us - a player who struggles when asked to take on the gorilla forwards, but once he's in a team where that role is filled by other players and he's able to take a third tall or even a smaller player, his competitiveness ensures he dominates and wins plenty of his own ball as well.

Even if Lowden never plays a game, it's looking like we won that trade :thumbsu:

I said it last year when the Crows picked him up during the trade period that he will have an immediate impact and slot straight into the Adelaide Crows back six. Plays his role week in week out. He's the kind of player that Phil Walsh loves.

Our old school coach likes old school defenders and I couldnt be happier.

Reminds me a bit of the Peter Caven pick up - different footballers, but both just no-frills defenders who came cheap and gets the job done. Lock down an opponent and give a little rebound. We've placed too much emphasis on rebound and not enough on genuine defenders in recent times and I'm loving the change.

Really impressed with Cheney's performances so far. I have to say that I didn't think he would solve our problems in the back lines but right now he is an automatic selection. I also think that Walsh's defensive game plan helps down back but Cheney has been a real find for us.

Not intending to bag Reilly given his injury but Cheney is basically playing his role, he has been very very good so far. Keeps this up and he's a bargain.

And can posters not confuse the recruitment of Cheney with criticism of swapping 10 for 14, they are two seperate trades.
Love it how that conveniently gets brought up. What the hell does Cheney have to do with the stupid move to swap pick 10.

As for Cheney, love him.

I am pleasantly surprised at how well Cheney has fitted into the side. He is a clear leader back there, and will be good with Talia as a partnership.

Can see why he was surplus to need at the Hawks when you look at who they have got back there in Gibson and Frawley. Although he could be handy for them right now. But he has shown he is far better than a mere depth player, as Jacobs was at Carlton.

This is a possible knock on effect of Free Agency. The better players may want to play with the top clubs. Forcing some of the players already there to other clubs to play in the "best 22". As they get better with more experience the lower clubs will benefit.

Back