• Shorter games where all games are played in one day/evening

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Ladder, where you can challenge people above you to move up the ladder

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've played a few games in the 10 minute format. Been timed out every time

Don’t worry, you’re getting used to the system. We’ll launch the longer format tournament next week (which looking at the vote will be a ‘longer time ladder format’) which will give people more time to think.

I haven't played a game yet, still refreshing myself with lessons. I never knew about the "en passant" rule or the "castling" or that your pawn reaching the other end could bring another Queen into your game.

They're good videos for learning!

Hopefully I play you first round ;)

If this goes well, how often do you think we should have the shorter tournaments? First Saturday of the month or every 2 weeks?

If this goes well, how often do you think we should have the shorter tournaments? First Saturday of the month or every 2 weeks?
Probably the monthly thing. Every 2 weeks is a lot of chess.

Probably the monthly thing. Every 2 weeks is a lot of chess.

Agreed. 4 rounds is enough as well. I was thinking:
- Longer tournament - ongoing
- First Saturday of the month - shorter

Edited to remove the coaching lesson - there's lots of good videos on chess.com and people can reach me directly for further tips.

Last edited:
Word of advice for everyone, when in endgame and you have one pawn to their none, get a rook. It's harder for the opponent to get a stalemate that way. I just escaped one where they chose a queen and didn't know how to win with it.

If anyone is looking for good chess resource videos other than chess.com, here are a few YouTubers I recommend, most of which have worked at the St. Louis Chess Club.
  • Eric Rosen
  • Ben Finegold
  • Yasser Seirawan
  • Aman Hambleton
  • Eric Hansen
  • Alexandra Botez
  • Varuzhan Akobian
  • Chess Talk
  • Simon Williams
Some of those also host streams on Twitch, particularly Eric Rosen, Aman Hambleton, Eric Hansen and Alexandra Botez, though the last 3 are more for entertainment rather than learning. Every now and then Magnus Carlsen will also stream, it's usually advertised on chess.com. He's really good to watch, has a great demeanour.

9 HOURS TO GO UNTIL TOURNAMENT - 5PM (ENTRY OPENS IN 8 HOURS - 4PM)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I normally just play untimed matches. Don't have the attention span to play a whole game in ten minutes.

Not a problem, the longer tournament will be 1 day a move so that will suit better.

One day per move will take weeks... And is way too open for cheating.

In practice they take a lot shorter as people don’t sit on it for a day...and I’m putting in a rule where you can claim a result to me if the opponent is overly slow. We can’t stop cheating but similarly an opponent can appeal if they think outside assistance is going on. Overall, I’m trusting that people don’t come to a BF chess club to cheat in a chess tournament and want to get the games in as quickly as suits their lives.

Back