Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
So we bought these two players on high coin according to Tim Watson and he's asking the question why we bought these two partically when there is a huge gap in the forward line for a key tall. Discuss. Is Watson correct?

Not sure the 'high coin' for Mayne has been conifirmed. Lots of discussion about it doesn't make it real.
Vp
Its real enough and is a poor man's version of the blues daisy trade
Ever since he lost his accuracy around 3 seasons back Mayne is a poor imitation of his prime years. He has never got aloy of the ball but with his former accuracy it didn't matter, it does when he can't convert regularly on limited touches.
I thought Wells was a good get, but his lack of attention to getting his body right in the offseason might be catching up with him as he gets older.
Regardless we didn't need another defensive fwd and another mid
Our spine is spineless with apologies to Reid and an older Moore. We need KPP and our recruiting has failed miserably in that regard
Sier DeGoey can be added to the list of recruiting mistakes as our list is padded out with big bodied mid paced mids who can't get on the park
Add Shazz another slow paced high draft pick and no wonder Bucks lament our lack of grunt/ speed
Finally add the mistreatment of Cloke to really suck the life out of our KPP depth, and 2017 already over and the future looking bleak.
GWS WB WCE MEL ADL STK have better mature players and better kids than we do by a long way. Even ESS blend of old and new looks slightly superior given a better spine
SYD HAW GEE will outperform us this year and next.
GCS CARL PORT have better kids going forward on different timelines
BRIS FREO NM basket cases
That leave a us in the same position 11 to 14 malaise we have been stuck in for the last couple of years for the foreseeable future ( along with the tigers who have only beaten us and the blues in 2017)
To escape this we need a tsunami of change at the club.
Total overhaul of admin, coaching , medical and recruiting personnel. Can't comment on specifics but there wouldn't be many encumbents in 2018 I would guess
Trading of highly skilled but mid paced mids for KPP and outside run
For mine that's means Sidey and JDG stand out as guys that could attract high end draft picks or trades for the types our club lacks. Greenwood and Shazz are others but don't think they would attract a lot of interest
In that situation wouldn't it be nice to have 1.2 mill ish of salary cap to go after a free agent player who's skill set we require
@dumbrecruitingPies

Vp
Ever since he lost his accuracy around 3 seasons back Mayne is a poor imitation of his prime years. He has never got aloy of the ball but with his former accuracy it didn't matter, it does when he can't convert regularly on limited touches.
I thought Wells was a good get, but his lack of attention to getting his body right in the offseason might be catching up with him as he gets older.
Our spine is spineless with apologies to Reid and an older Moore. We need KPP and our recruiting has failed miserably in that regard
Sier DeGoey can be added to the list of recruiting mistakes as our list is padded out with big bodied mid paced mids who can't get on the park
Add Shazz another slow paced high draft pick and no wonder Bucks lament our lack of grunt.
Finally add the mistreatment of Cloke to really suck the life out of our KPP depth, and 2017 already over and the future looking bleak.
GWS WB WCE MEL ADL STK have better mature players and better kids than we do by a long way. Even ESS blend of old and new looks slightly superior given a better spine
BRIS FREO basket cases
That leave a us in the same position 11 to 14 malaise wehave been stuck in for the last couple of years for the foreseeable future ( along with the tigers who have only beaten us and the blues in 2017)
Total overhaul of admin, coaching and recruiting personnel. Can't comment on specifics but there wouldn't be many teaming I would guess
For mine that's means Sidey and JDG stand out as guys that could attract high end draft picks or trades for the types our club lacks. Greenwood and Shazz are others but don't think they would attract a lot of interest
In that situation wouldn't it be nice to have 1.2 mill ish of salary cap to go after a free agent player who's skill set we require
@dumbrecruitingPies

Hi northpie

I am OK with most of your post! I was only pointing out that Mayne's salary has not been confirmed. And I also question recruiting him.

Hi northpie

I am OK with most of your post! I was only pointing out that Mayne's salary has not been confirmed. And I also question recruiting him.
I have woken up a little negative VP, but last nights game highlighted how poor the standard was of thurs night for mine
cameto the conclusion that we are simply a sub average skilled squad who will be consigned to mid table mediocrity unless we embrace dramatic change
Happy to hear where you see it differently
We should be sleeping in on a sat mornign

I have woken up a little negative VP, but last nights game highlighted how poor the standard was of thurs night for mine
cameto the conclusion that we are simply a sub average skilled squad who will be consigned to mid table mediocrity unless we embrace dramatic change
Happy to hear where you see it differently
We should be sleeping in on a sat mornign

Agree the standard was very poor on Thursday night. But that issue is being discussed ad nauseum on other threads.

Re sleeping in? Not me. I'm an early riser, and am annoyed with myself if I sleep in after 5.00 a.m. I love mornings (but not mornings after a loss like Thursday's).

Wells I can completely understand. He is another high-end midfielder who cost us nothing in draft capital and goes some of the way to filling the void left by Swanny's injury and retirement.

He also is a superb ball user going inside 50, and as we have seen, inside 50 retention rate is very important; if it drops too low it kills your defence on the fast break.

Mayne, I understand that the powers that be wanted someone to be an on-field leader and marshall the troops, and to be fair we do need improved on-field leadership. The reported money and the length of contract I find bewildering, however, for a player of Mayne's diminishing skills.

I am still of the opinion Wells is a good get for us. He would have been manna from heaven for us on Thursday night. He brings exactly what our midfield lacks, pace and precision kicking into our forward line. Darcy for one needs him

Mayne I don't really see why we need him. Doesn't correct a big fault for mine. 4 years at his age seems out of kilter and does 3 for Wells but Wells adds something

Vp
Add Shazz another slow paced high draft pick and no wonder Bucks lament our lack of grunt/ speed
BRIS FREO NM basket cases
That leave a us in the same position 11 to 14 malaise we have been stuck in for the last couple of years for the foreseeable future ( along with the tigers who have only beaten us and the blues in 2017)
Total overhaul of admin, coaching , medical and recruiting personnel. Can't comment on specifics but there wouldn't be many encumbents in 2018 I would guess
@dumbrecruitingPies
Too big a rant, mornings might not be for you.

Especially comments on Sier and De Goey. De Goey will be an excellent mid going forward. Maybe you will counter by saying you prefer Wright and that's fine but it doesn't make De Goey a fail

Sier was pick 32 in a thin draft. Pick 32 is hit and miss, there is no one picked after 32 that is setting the world on fire yet and Sier has been dogged by injury , the youngest and most inexperienced player on our list from 2016, need to give him some more time before any call is made.

Because Buckley knew he was coaching for his career so made an obviously desperate attempt to get some blokes who might win us a few games but really add nothing in terms of list development.

Disagree all you like but I know bucks wants his job and trying to sneak into 8th off the back of mature age recruits was the best plan he could come up with

It's amazing 1 or 2 people can destroy our football team "out of greed/selfishness'. There's so many fans in the millions that are suffering as a result.. the club has given Bucks so much.. yet he will never admit that he has been a dead set failure.. just gimme that contract.

Had it with him.. really sad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Buckley knew he was coaching for his career so made an obviously desperate attempt to get some blokes who might win us a few games but really add nothing in terms of list development.

Disagree all you like but I know bucks wants his job and trying to sneak into 8th off the back of mature age recruits was the best plan he could come up with

I think it's fairly well accepted that Gubby Allan is the one responsible for Mayne and Wells. In fact, Allan was brought back even though Bucks wanted to keep working with Balme. That is, he was brought back by Eddie. So this isn't really Buckley's fault.

I think we are trying to top up our talent level because our kids haven't come on or are injury prone. Our list is extremely stagnant. Not much looks to have changed in the last few years. You can hope for a better injury run, but we are consistently poorly managed.

So why then did we use all our draft picks on speculative kids and recruited untested rookies? If your theory was correct wouldn't we have traded away everything we could to maximize Buckley's chances of success?

Mayne would need to kick 25-30 goals to break even this year.
Wells would need to play a minimum of 15-16 games.
Otherwise IMHO the recruitment has not paid off.

That's what happens when you tell a coach he is playing for his career, Bucks off-season decisions were to get him in the 8 both Mayne, Wells and to a certain extent Dunn are not in future plans.

Some times it works like what happened with Mick, most times it doesn't.

Especially comments on Sier and De Goey. De Goey will be an excellent mid going forward. Maybe you will counter by saying you prefer Wright and that's fine but it doesn't make De Goey a fail

Sier was pick 32 in a thin draft. Pick 32 is hit and miss, there is no one picked after 32 that is setting the world on fire yet and Sier has been dogged by injury , the youngest and most inexperienced player on our list from 2016, need to give him some more time before any call is made.
This seems to be a prerequisite of anyone we draft these days.:rolleyes:

Hi northpie

It's all but confirmed, Freos doesn't qualify for Band 2 compo unless Mayne is on 500k plus. The media are leaked this kind of info all the time and have been running with it from day dot.

It is also confirmed it is 4 year contract.

I can kinda see why they took a gamble on Wells he adds a lot of what we lack in pace creativity and excellent kicking skills. Just a matter of keeping his injuries under check.

It's all but confirmed, Freos doesn't qualify for Band 2 compo unless Mayne is on 500k plus. The media are leaked this kind of info all the time and have been running with it from day dot.

It is also confirmed it is 4 year contract.

I can kinda see why they took a gamble on Wells he adds a lot of what we lack in pace creativity and excellent kicking skills. Just a matter of keeping his injuries under check.
Does the band 2 compo take into account if the contract is performance based?

Sier was a left-field Hine special pick. 32 is a decent pick and it was our first in that draft. We chose to use it on someone playing school footy with no exposure at TAC cup level. So by choice, our recruiter multiplied the "speculative" factor of the pick by several fold. And went for yet another midfielder! Marcus Adams, an up and coming key back playing for the dogs last night was overlooked for him.

To date he's shown nothing, other than he meets the injury-prone requirements of all new Collingwood recruits. It's fair for people to be looking closely at this selection and asking the questions. It's too early to make a call on him I agree, but it's not too early to be expressing concern. If he can get on the park, we should have a pretty good idea of what we got by the end of this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back