Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates pt3 - The Verdict

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will BRE possibly be given at least a week extension to his trial appeal window due to the COVID-19 lockdown restrictions this week, preventing him having private face to face meetings with his legals or family this week?

And if face to face visits are banned for all Casuarina inmates for the next few weeks or months, assuming that there are no secure enough for him audio or audio/visual meeting options available, could we be looking at a much longer appear window for BRE, until after face to face meetings are allowed again within Casuarina, or possibly at a neutral secure and safe enough site outside of Casuarina?

it's only on Foxtel. I'll never get to see it

If the BRE trial verdict/sentencing appeal window is extended due to COVID-19, I envisage that the Foxtel CSK special scheduled for 4 Feb, the day after the scheduled appeal windows was due to close (3 Feb), will also be deferred.

It's Murdoch, he'd never show it for free
If it's on the standard Evening Sky News channel replacing existing sky news "after dark" programming, you should be able to listen to it for free and without logging in (with the pictures) at

If it's on the standard Evening Sky News channel replacing existing sky news "after dark" programming, you should be able to listen to it for free and without logging in (with the pictures) at

6PR radio is running commercials for it and saying it is on this Thursday 4 Feb at 5pm WST and 8pm WST on Foxtel's Sky News Australia.

So hopefully it will be free to listen to (live only) at the above link to the audio only version of Sky News Australia.

Last edited:
You'd think once he's denied parole and is looking at death in prison, you bargain for some comforts.. like a T.V in your room or something.
You've been found guilty. What's the big deal with confessing to Sarah and letting people know where she's buried if you can improve your life in jail?
They all have TV's Bigbirdz, some have X boxes, Stereos even too, if you want buy one. There is no bargaining or special treatment like people think, you all eat the same things, no special food either. He will now be in protection with all the other Pedos etc and not in his crisis 24/7 surveillance, and he's a long way off to go to any self care.

Last edited:
You'd think once he's denied parole and is looking at death in prison, you bargain for some comforts.. like a T.V in your room or something.
You've been found guilty. What's the big deal with confessing to Sarah and letting people know where she's buried if you can improve your life in jail?

IKR . A decent human being would do just that. Unfortunately BRE is not a decent human being. Although a nice shiny Xbox might tempt him.

They all have TV's Bigbirdz, some have X boxes, Stereos even too, if you want buy one. There is no bargaining or special treatment like people think, you all eat the same things, no special food either. He will now be in protection with all the other Pedos etc and not in his crisis 24/7 surveillance, and he's a long way off to go to any self care.

Geez.
open Freo prison back up I reckon..

I guess we will know by this time tomorrow, whether BRE or his legal representation, has formally requested, or been granted an extension of the appeal window, due to either or a combination of COVID-19, Bushfires, appeal cost funding, a rogue pencil, or for other reasons.

They also have to work to buy basics unless their family puts money in an account for him. If he wants chocolate & cool drink, he has to pay for it. Pretty sure they get internet but not positive but it would be regulated to no violence, unsure about pr0n. It'd be nice to see BRE having to work some shitty job that he'll think is beneath him to buy the good stuff

JWS2019 has posted the link for this in the media thread, much appreciated and I've found it really interesting so thought I should give it a plug in here as well. Andrew Rule might be a bit more across this case than we might have thought given he's from Melbourne.

I hope he does a series because he has some of the same questions we have.

Does this link work ? Because it didn't when I tried twice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Appeal lodged.
No mention of a deadline extension
Finally!

6PR radio news just reported that BRE still has the option of appealing "out of time".

'What are the time limits for appealing my conviction or sentence?
An appeal against a Magistrates Court decision must be made within 28 days of the date of the decision or sentencing (whichever is later). An appeal against a decision of the District Court or Supreme Court must be made within 21 days of the date of the decision or sentencing (whichever is later). If you are late lodging your appeal, you will need to ask the Supreme Court to let you lodge your appeal outside of time.'

Not sure on WA law but in SA you can appeal if significant new evidence is presented that may cast doubt on your conviction is SS ie found and somebody else's DNA is found

(not that that discounts the other 2 girls)

I was listening to the audio-only of the Sky News documentary, and I wasn't very impressed. Besides the new interview with the 88' prowler victim, it was mainly a rehashing of the 2008 documentary right down to what I could tell were recycled re-enactments and interviews. The few interviews that were new mainly covered old ground with questions that had already been asked and answered time and time again.

The only shining lights were a brief interview with a woman who was one of the witnesses to Jane's screams and some interesting, if fairly obvious, psychological insights which sounded like they were from Xanthe Mallett (I missed the first few minutes of the doco).
The whole thing felt quite light-weight and produced on the cheap.

I found it ironic that at the end, the newly interviewed 88' prowler victim said that she dislikes being referred to as a 'surviving victim', explaining that she doesn't feel it's respectful or appropriate as at that time he had not yet escalated to the level of a serial killer. Quite ironic, given that the primary promotional hook for the documentary referred to her along those lines.

My main point of interest at the moment is Bret Christian's mention of the possibility that Edwards engaged in a 'cat and mouse' game with victims - untying them to see how they would react, knowing that he could easily overpower them. I think that a case can be made for it, although we'll probably never know for sure.

I was listening to the audio-only of the Sky News documentary, and I wasn't very impressed. Besides the new interview with the 88' prowler victim, it was mainly a rehashing of the 2008 documentary right down to what I could tell were recycled re-enactments and interviews. The few interviews that were new mainly covered old ground with questions that had already been asked and answered time and time again.

The only shining lights were a brief interview with a woman who was one of the witnesses to Jane's screams and some interesting, if fairly obvious, psychological insights which sounded like they were from Xanthe Mallett (I missed the first few minutes of the doco).
The whole thing felt quite light-weight and produced on the cheap.

I found it ironic that at the end, the newly interviewed 88' prowler victim said that she dislikes being referred to as a 'surviving victim', explaining that she doesn't feel it's respectful or appropriate as at that time he had not yet escalated to the level of a serial killer. Quite ironic, given that the primary promotional hook for the documentary referred to her along those lines.

My main point of interest at the moment is Bret Christian's mention of the possibility that Edwards engaged in a 'cat and mouse' game with victims - untying them to see how they would react, knowing that he could easily overpower them. I think that a case can be made for it, although we'll probably never know for sure.

Interesting and good review thank you! trying to watch myself tonight.
Assuming reference to “prowler victim” that your pro victim and they have not put her in the light that she wants to be held?

Interesting and good review thank you! trying to watch myself tonight.
Assuming reference to “prowler victim” that your pro victim and they have not put her in the light that she wants to be held?

Sort of, I just thought it was interesting that she said she doesn't like being referred to as a survivor of the CSK given that that's certainly how the ads framed her. But then, this is a commercial network.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after watching.

Sort of, I just thought it was interesting that she said she doesn't like being referred to as a survivor of the CSK given that that's certainly how the ads framed her. But then, this is a commercial network.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after watching.
Will watch and refer... just interested in your thoughts as the frame of the victims is so delicate. Hopefully said victim is ok with the production. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back