Current Claremont Murders - Media

Remove this Banner Ad

(part 1)
Days 1-8 (of 17)

John Flint
The West Australian
Sunday, 22 December 2019 5:00AM
Three years ago today, West Australians woke to news few had seen coming, but all had hoped for.
Finally, after two decades of waiting, someone had been arrested and charged over the Claremont serial killings.
This bolt from the blue, just three days before Christmas, had everyone clamouring to find out: who is Bradley Robert Edwards and what is his back story?
Today as the former Telstra technician begins his fourth year in custody, people know a a lot more about the 51-year-old who showed deviant sexual inclinations even as a boy growing up in Huntingdale.
What started out as a fascination with women’s underwear — stealing them from neighbours’ clotheslines — graduated to night-prowling the suburb and more risky behaviour such as break-ins and an assault on a sleeping girl before he turned 20. Two years later, he attempted to drag a woman into a toilet cubicle at Hollywood Hospital. At 26 he was a sadistic rapist, plucking his victim off a footpath in Claremont.
His escalating violent and predatory behaviour was an evolution to the most heinous of offender classifications; that of serial killer, the State contends.
Mr Edwards’ defence team, on the other hand, say his offending peaked at rape.
The first 17 days of the trial brought a deluge of new information on the case that has gripped the State. Here, The Sunday Times brings you a day-by-day snapshot of the evidence so far.
DAY 1: THE OPENING
The trial started with the accused re-iterating his pleas of not guilty to the murders of Sarah Spiers, Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon.
It was then followed by the defence citing some 37 admissions. These undisputed facts included details of the Telstra-supplied vehicles he drove at the time of the offences.
It was then time for chief prosecutor Carmel Barbagallo to launch her opening submission, which set out in fascinating detail the State’s case against Mr Edwards. She spoke of the fear created by the killing spree, which she said was caused by an “enigma of the dark”.
“The State over the coming months will demystify that enigma.” she said. “The State will prove there was one killer, and that killer is Bradley Robert Edwards.”
With the families of the victims all present, she went through the tragic narrative of each victim’s disappearance and the “miraculous” discoveries of the bodies of Ms Rimmer and Ms Glennon, which would provide crucial clues.
The public learnt that both women had suffered big and jagged neck wounds, which had likely killed them. They also had “classic defensive wounds” to their forearms, indicating they had fought for their lives.
Ms Barbagallo also narrated Mr Edwards’ abduction and brutal rape of a 17-year-old female in Karrakatta Cemetery one year before Ms Spiers vanished in the same area, as well as his earlier brazen assault on a young woman as she slept in her bedroom, with her parents in the next room.
She explained how these offences were forensically tied to the Claremont murders.
DAY 2: THE DNA LINKS
The prosecutor continued her opening submission, explaining the nature of fibre and DNA evidence and its fundamental importance to the prosecution case.
She told how the painstaking cold-case investigation suddenly became very hot, culminating in detectives beating a path to Mr Edwards’ front door in Kewdale on December 22, 2016.
Just days earlier undercover police had pounced on a discarded a bottle of Sprite that Mr Edwards had been drinking from.
It was quickly tested and, according to Ms Barbagallo, matched samples from the Huntingdale and Karrakatta offences and, most crucially, DNA obtained from under Ms Glennon’s fingernails.
When she finished her long outline in the afternoon, Mr Edwards’ barrister Paul Yovich rose to summarise the defence’s approach. Although he did it in much less time — just 25 minutes — he said enough to dispel any notion that this would be plain-sailing for the State.
Foreshadowing what he claims are major weaknesses in the integrity of the key forensic evidence, he cited contamination of exhibits and inadequate processes at Pathwest.
He said 2017 tests on intimate swabs, taken from the bodies of Ms Glennon and Ms Rimmer, revealed they’ve subsequently been contaminated with the DNA of two Pathwest scientists.
The DNA of a third Pathwest scientist was also found when nail samples from Ms Rimmer were tested by the same lab. And testing on a branch taken from the site where Ms Rimmer’s body was dumped also showed up the DNA of the victim of a completely unrelated crime
DAY 3 :MARRIAGE COLLAPSE
The first witness in the marathon trial was Mr Edwards’ first wife, who gave evidence via video link from another part of the court complex. She was an important witness because the State suggested the collapse of the marriage could have been thecatalyst for murder.
But the woman, who can’t be named, said there was little acrimony, despite her leaving him for another man, who’d been lodging with them at 10 Fountain Way, Huntingdale. She eventually fled the marital home to live with the lodger, who she also fell pregnant to.
She had been Mr Edwards’ first lover and having met in 1989, they married in November 23, 1991. He bought her a horse soon after. But the relationship floundered in late 1994, when Mr Edwards began spending more time with his computer than with her.
“He wasn’t present in the marriage and it slowly deteriorated,” she said.
She described the eventual split as civil and said he continued to pay off her car loan after she moved out. They had sex one more time, but the next morning he gave her the impression the marriage had no future.
The matrimonial home was sold on March 2, 1997, less than two weeks before Ciara Glennon vanished.
Ms Barbagallo did ask about whether anything had happened the night before her then-boyfriend attacked a social worker at Hollywood Hospital. The witness said they had had an argument when she asked Mr Edwards if marriage was on the cards. Both had got upset, she said, but they hugged and made up afterwards.
Her cross-examination by defence barrister Paul Yovich cast doubt on the prosecution’s timeline of “emotional triggers” in the marriage breakdown that it claims correlated with the offences.
DAY 4: SECOND WIFE
The highly animated testimony of Mr Edwards’ second wife captivated the courtroom, but there were puzzled looks afterwards at what was teased, but not said.
She told the court she feared for her life towards the end of their relationship, but wasn’t asked why?
The witness, who can’t be named, also wasn’t asked what drove her to copy details of Mr Edwards’ bank statements into a secret notebook in 2014.
“I was terrified when I was writing this, so I was under a lot of pressure,” she told Ms Barbagallo.
The notebook entries were the subject of most of the questions put to her. They covered ATM withdrawals from October 1996 to 2000. They included two withdrawals from “Bay View ATM” in Claremont.
She had noted that one of her husband’s bank statements was missing. It covered a three-month period during which Ms Glennon vanished in Claremont.
The pair had met on April 1, 1997 (two weeks after Ms Glennon vanished) and were married on December 16, 2000. They eventually separated in 2015.
She recalled that while they’d been courting, Mr Edwards had told her about the Hollywood Hospital incident, describing it as a “brain snap”. “He said it was just an assault ... he said his first wife had cheated on him and he could not cope with it,” she recalled.
One of Mr Edwards’ closest friends testified that the accused was “drinking quite a bit” and appeared “depressed” after splitting from his first wife.
Paul Luff, 53, said he and Mr Edwards formed a “friendship that lasted a very long time” after they had started apprenticeships together at Telstra in 1986.
“It was a long time ago but I remember him being a bit broken up about (his marriage split),” Mr Luff said.
He’d been asked by Mr Edwards’ concerned parents to keep an eye on their son at the time.
A woman, who can’t be named, testified that she dated Mr Edwards from late December 1996 until April 1997.
The woman, who was 20 years his senior, said he never spoke with “anger or bitterness” about his first wife. She was upset when he broke up with her because she was “very fond” of him.
DAY 5: ‘WHAT THE HELL’
Murray Cook, 55, a former Telstra colleague and pool playing partner of Mr Edwards, recalled how the accused mysteriously failed to show up at a holiday house on the night he is said to have murdered Ms Glennon.
Mr Cook said he had a clear memory of seeing Mr Edwards on the mornings of both January 27, 1996 and March 16, 1997 — hours after he is alleged to have killed Ms Spiers and Ms Glennon.
But it was Mr Edwards’ absence from an arranged Friday night trip to a Dawesville holiday home, after an invitation from Mr Cook and his wife Brigita, which the prosecution homed in on.
Mr Cook’s memory was so clear because it was in the same month he had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.
“I told him what the problem is with my illness and (said) if you’re interested, come,” Mr Cook said. “And he said, ‘I’ll be there Friday’.”
But Mr Cook said after waiting all night, Mr Edwards failed to turn up until 11am the next day. “I said words to the effect of, ‘What the hell, you were supposed to be here’,” Mr Cook said.
“He said, ‘I was trying to reconcile with my wife’. I said, ‘Well, how did you go?’ and he just shook his head.”
Mrs Cook also remembered Mr Edwards’ late arrival.
Mrs Cook also kept meticulous diaries of the time, which also pinpointed an overtime day her husband had worked on January 27, 1996.
Mr Cook said he clearly remembered Mr Edwards being with him at Dumas House that morning.
Mr Edwards has admitted he also worked that day — the day after Ms Spiers had gone missing
DAY 6: ‘I WILL KILL YOU’
The other man in Bradley Edwards’ first marriage described how Mr Edwards once threatened to kill him in a phone call.
Speaking via video link from Britain, the witness, who can’t be named, gave candid evidence on the turbulent period, which included sex sessions with Mr Edwards’ wife, while living under his roof as a lodger.
Things didn’t get nasty between the two men until after she left her husband for the man, who had moved out of the Huntingdale address and into a rental property in Warnbro. At Warnbro, she fell pregnant to the man.
“He accused me of having an affair. I said to him, ‘I thought that was plain and clear to see’, and he said, ‘Oh, I will kill you’,” the man said.
“I said, ‘Well, you know where I live, you have my address’.”
Mr Edwards’ first wife had her pregnancy confirmed by a doctor on June 4, 1996. Shortly after, she phoned Mr Edwards to give him the news and let him know he wasn’t the father, which the State claims would have caused him emotional turmoil.
Jane Rimmer disappeared from Claremont on June 9, 1996.
The witness described an occasion at Huntingdale when the accused caught him kissing his wife.
“I said: ‘I’m gone ... I don’t fancy sleeping here another night knowing what he’s got in his room,” he said
What was in Mr Edwards’ room was not elaborated on.
Earlier in the day, much of the evidence centred on Telstra uniforms in the mid-1990s. Mr Edwards signed a receipt for delivery of two replacement navy blue “pinched pleat” Yakka shorts on November 2, 1995, and ordered trousers a few days later.
Prosecutors allege fibres consistent with coming from Telstra-issued shorts or pants were found on Ciara Glennon’s shirt and in her hair, Jane Rimmer’s hair and the shorts worn by the girl Mr Edwards raped in Karrakatta cemetery in 1995.
DAY 7: LATE-NIGHT ENCOUNTERS
The so-called “Telstra living witnesses” were introduced on this day. These are witnesses who reported unnerving, late-night encounters with a lone driver of a Telstra car at the height of summer 1996.
Jane Ouvaroff, Natalie Clements and Trilby Smith gave separate accounts of these encounters after nights out in Claremont in the days before Christmas 1996.
Sarah Spiers and Jane Rimmer had already been abducted and murdered by this time.
And as detailed by Ms Barbagallo in her opening last week, the “Telstra Living Witness Project”’ — originally just the “Living Witness Project” — was launched by police after Ciara Glennon then went missing in March 1997.
Ms Smith was hitch-hiking with a friend after struggling to get a taxi. She got in the back of a vehicle that stopped for them. She recalled it was full of cables and “electrical things”, and the driver was wide shouldered, dark to black hair, tanned skin. She only saw him from the back
She was “quite drunk” at the time and said her friend suddenly yanked her out of the back, but it was unclear why.
Ms Clements told the trial she and friend Rebecca Bushell thought a taxi was coming towards them. The vehicle was a white Commodore station wagon, with a shape on the roof. As it got closer and stopped for them, they realised it wasn’t a taxi but a Telstra vehicle with a ladder on the roof.
She’d seen the same vehicle twice earlier in the night doing laps outside the Ocean Beach Hotel.
“As we kept walking, it had come from behind us again (twice),” she said.
Ms Ouvaroff said in late 1996 or early 1997 she mistakenly jumped into the back of a Telstra station wagon that she had thought was a taxi. She got the driver to take her to a nearby park where she’d left her shoes just earlier.
Her male friends were still at the park and they joined her getting in the back of the vehicle, which took them to Shenton Park. She didn’t get a good look at the driver, who had dark, short hair. But she remembered he wasn’t chatty.
The most compelling testimony of the day was the survivor of the attack at Hollywood Hospital in 1990.
With Bradley Edwards sitting 10m across from her in the courtroom, the diminutive woman vividly explained how she was attacked from behind during a 10-second struggle with the accused, who’d tried to drag her backward into a toilet cubicle.
“I honestly thought I was going to die,” the 69-year-old-said. She was a social worker at the hospital where Mr Edwards was fixing the phone system.
Mr Edwards’ first move was to place a cloth over her mouth. She eventually fought him off and called security. Mr Edwards was convicted of assault and given two years’ probation. Incredibly, he was allowed to keep his job.
Later, psychologists Paul McEvoy and Lyn Millett both told the court how Mr Edwards told them of his emotional state at the time of the Hollywood attack.
He told them he felt pressured to marry, had been arguing with his girlfriend, and had argued the night before the attack
DAY 8: TAXI MISSED
The taxi driver who was supposed to pick up Sarah Spiers on the night she disappeared gave evidence.
Jaroslav Krupnik had agreed to pick up a fare from the corner of Stirling Highway and Stirling Street in Claremont.
It was about 2am, and it took him just moments from pressing the button on his on-board computer to reaching the intersection. But when he got there, there was no one in sight.
The trial of Mr Edwards has already heard Ms Spiers’ final call, made to Swan Taxis at 2.06am on January 27. She wanted to go to Mosman Park, just 4km away.
“I didn’t see anybody and I kept going,” Mr Krupnik said.
Alec Pannall may have been the last person, other than her killer, to see Ms Spiers alive. He told the court he saw a woman fitting her description on the other side of Stirling Road from the phone box she’d called for a cab. He was in a friend’s car after a night with friends at the Continental Hotel and Club Bay View.
“(My friends) made me aware of a young lady on the left-hand-side of the road,” he said.
“I turned to my left and on the side of the road was a female, probably around 20 years old, slim build, waiting next to a (bollard) ... She looked as though she was waiting for someone.”
In other evidence, Telstra global payroll manager Tony Vomero admitted the company did not have any record of Bradley Edwards’ attack on a social worker at Hollywood Hospital in May 1990. However, records showed Mr Edwards was promoted to a senior telecommunication technician on June 4, 1992.
Another “Telstra living witness” told the court about her own strange experience with a Telstra vehicle on the night Ms Spiers vanished.
After leaving Club Bay View, Julie-Anne Johnstone was waiting for a taxi near Hungry Jack’s on Stirling Highway when a car pulled up behind. She was stared at by a man, who had leant over to the passenger side and had wound down the window.
“It was a white sedan, four-doors and it had a Telstra sign on the passenger side-door,” she said.
“I did sort of turn and go, ‘What?’, and there was no response ... He was just looking at me.”
In late 1998, she helped police produce an identikit image of the driver. But when the identikit was shown in court, it bore little or no resemblance to Mr Edwards.

(Part 2)

Days 9-17

DAY 9: “TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE SCREAMS’
Fighting back tears, Emma Wates told the trial that she saw her close mate Ms Spiers go down the stairs to the exit of Club Bay View before stepping into the night.
Ms Spiers told her she was going to catch a cab.
Mark Laidman, who had been in the same car as Alec Pannall, also saw a woman fitting Ms Spiers’ description half-sitting, half-leaning against a bollard opposite the phone box from where she called for a taxi.
“She glanced up and looked at us as we went past,” he told the court.
Her call to Swan Taxis was played to the courtroom for the second time in the trial.
The court heard from Mosman Park residents awoken by “blood-curdling” female screams in the early hours of the morning in which Ms Spiers disappeared.
Judith Borrett recalled “desperate, blood-curdling, terrible, terrible screams, something that you’d never forget.”
Wayne Stewart and his partner Jesse-Maree Munro heard the same. “I sat bolt upright in the bed,” Ms Munro said. “I heard a really, really blood-curdling scream. My heart was pounding and then there was another one. Wayne said, ‘Stay there’, and he ran out on to the balcony.”
When he did, Mr Stewart said he peered towards the sound — which he thought had come from nearby Monument Street — and saw the tail-lights of a car, which believed to be a wagon.
A statement to police by Ms Spiers’ older sister Amanda was read out in court for the first time.
The last time she saw her sister was when she dropped her and her friends in Church Lane in Claremont. “Everyone got out of the car,” she said. “Sarah got out of the car, walked around to my window, put her arms through the window, gave me a hug and a kiss, and said goodbye.”
There was dramatic testimony from another “Telstra living witness”. Katrina Jones, 63, was given a lift from Stirling Highway by a man in December 1995. The “quite good looking” driver said he worked for Telstra.
Ms Jones said she asked the man to drop her five houses from where her car was parked. When she got out, the man grabbed her arm and tried to kiss her.
I said: ‘Hey, woah, woah, don’t you — I’ll drop you’,” she said, gesticulating. “I already told him I’m a blue belt in taekwondo.”
Earlier, he had told her he drove around picking up “damsels in distress like you”.
DAY 10: HAND OVER MOUTH
The now 50-year-old woman who was attacked in her bed by Mr Edwards in 1988 bravely took the stand to give evidence despite being given the option to have her statement read into court.
Then 18, the woman woke to find a body on top of her and a hand over her mouth. At first she thought it was her boyfriend sneaking into her room, trying to keep her quiet.
She tenderly stroked his face and told him: “I love you.”
But she was shocked to feel stubble and instantly realised it was not her boyfriend.
When the attack stopped, she said she saw a man as tall as the doorway wearing what looked like a white nightie, before she screamed for her parents and he fled.
He left behind a kimono and DNA that is integral to the prosecution’s case.
Mr Edwards and the woman, who became emotional during her testimony, lived close to each other, he knew her siblings, and they attended the same primary and high schools.
Jane Rimmer’s last moments were detailed by members of her family, including her brother Adam, who testified in person, and through her mother Jennifer and late father Trevor through statements read into the court.
Adam Rimmer told the court no one in his family drove the vehicles her alleged killer drove at the time or wore Telstra uniforms, which prosecutors say are the origins for critical fibres found in her hair.
Clare McGuirk, the hairdresser who cut Ms Rimmer’s hair on the morning of her disappearance, said she would have washed it but could not recall if she did so.
Ms Rimmer had shared a drink with her mum at the Shenton Park Hotel before heading to Claremont on her last night alive. When she didn’t show up for Sunday lunch the next day, her mum knew something was wrong. She went to her daughter’s Wembley unit, where her car was parked in its usual spot and her bed was made.
DAY 11: VICTIM’S BRAVERY
Prosecutors read four statements given to police by the woman brutally raped by Mr Edwards in Karrakatta Cemetery in the early hours of February 12, 1995. She was just 17 at the time.
It was the first time the victim’s first-hand account of the attack was heard. It was hard and harrowing to listen to.
For the woman who lived it, she did well to stay in the court as her first statement was read. Understandably, she didn’t stay for the other statements, which went into more distressing detail.
Ambushed while walking to a friend’s house after a night out in Claremont, she was bound, hooded and gagged, before being taken to a quiet corner of the cemetery and raped twice.
She was too scared to move because, “I thought at the end of it all he was going to kill me”.
The victim later returned to observe the prosecution of Mr Edwards, who one month before the trial admitted attacking her, but still denies murdering anyone.
The cord that was used to bind her became one of the trial’s first physical exhibits. Crime scene photographs taken in the hours after rape were shown to the court.
They showed marks consistent with a body being dragged through the dirt.
DAY 12: JANE LAUGHING
Security footage from Club Bay View and The Continental Hotel, showing the minutes before Jane Rimmer disappeared, was played to the court.
Ms Rimmer could be seen in the black-and-white footage laughing and talking to friends.
The last images of her were waiting outside the Continental Hotel alone just after midnight on June 9, 1996, before footage switched to another camera. When it came back to the original camera — just 30 seconds later — she was gone.
Mr Edwards wasn’t recognisable in any of the grainy footage.
Chelsea Palmer, a friend of Ms Spiers, took the witness stand. She said the pair had shared a “nice” conversation in Club Bay View’s toilets. Ms Spiers had been “coherent” and “happy” just before she met her fate.
Ms Palmer and two male friends coincidentally got in the taxi that was meant to pick up Ms Spiers.
The trial heard another account of “horrific screams” in Mosman Park in the hours after Ms Spiers went missing.
Robyn Peters said she heard three loud “horrific screams” between 2.30am and 3am.
“They were loud enough for me to jump out of bed,” Ms Peters said.
Under questioning from Mr Yovich, Ms Peters was accused of trying to fit her evidence into the prosecution case — after confusion over whether she heard the screams on a Saturday or Sunday morning.
But she insisted she was not confused about what night she heard the screams.
Former Telstra employees, Jeffrey Cohen and Stephen Gray, gave evidence about their old work-issued pants and shorts from the 1990s which they had given to police after Mr Edwards’ arrest
DAY 13: ‘GET IN THE TAXI’
The trial was told that Ms Rimmer’s friends had urged her to join them in a taxi as they were leaving Claremont on the night she was murdered.
“We wound down the window and yelled to her, ‘Get in the taxi, come on let’s go’, (but) she just shook her head and turned away,” Lynda Donovan said.
Ms Donovan, who was also a workmate and neighbour of Ms Rimmer, said her friend had been upset earlier in the night.
“She was just really sad and saying she was ugly and fat and all those kinds of things, and I was just trying to comfort her and tell her that that wasn’t true,” she said.
When her friends, including Sian Chapman, were ready to leave and go to Ms Chapman’s house in City Beach, Ms Rimmer said she wanted to stay out. Once they were in a taxi, they circled back towards Ms Rimmer.
“She was just standing ... leaning against the pole. And she just sort of waved us off,” Ms Chapman told the court.
In other evidence, Paul Langenbach told of the moment he found Ms Rimmer’s Guess watch on a gravel road in semi-rural Wellard within 24 hours of her murder.
Mr Langenbach was horse-riding when the animal became “spooked” and bucked him off on Woolcoot Road on June 9, 1996. The horse’s sudden fright was enough to buck the young man off and drag him a short distance. Dazed, he pulled himself up and there on the ground was a “ladies’ silver watch”.
He alerted police several weeks later when Ms Rimmer’s body was discovered, just off the road where he found her watch.
DAY 14: CIARA’S HESITATION
Evidence shifted to the disappearance and murder of Ciara Glennon.
The court was told she’d hesitated about going out on March 14, 1997, “umming and ahhing” about joining work colleagues who were heading to the Continental Hotel after Friday night drinks in the boardroom of law firm Blake Dawson Waldron, where she worked.
Her friend and fellow-lawyer Abigail Davies said Ms Glennon had been drinking champagne and wine in the boardroom to celebrate St Patrick’s Day, which was three days’ away. She’d also been planning her sister’s hen’s night which was the next day.
“She was just laughing and talking to people in an energetic way that was not particularly notable except I registered that she was happy,” Ms Davies recalled of her friend, who was just back from an 11-month around-the-world trip.
The court was shown CCTV footage of Ms Davies and Ms Glennon entering the Continental Hotel holding hands because they didn’t want to lose each other as they waded through the heaving crowd.
At 11.45pm, Ms Glennon, 27, decided she wanted to leave and told her friends: “I’m going.”
Asked about her friend’s sobriety, Ms Davies said: “She definitely was not unsteady on her feet, she was exuberant and happy and she was drunk but she was very in control about everything of her person.”
Eighteen days later, her body was found in bush in Eglinton.
The police statements of her parents, Denis and Una Glennon were read to the court.
The trial heard more evidence about terrifying screams — this time in Wellard, close to where Ms Rimmer her body was found.
Kenneth Mitchell said he woke to a woman screaming “leave me alone, let me out of here” from bushland across from his property on the night Ms Rimmer was allegedly murdered.
Mr Mitchell said the words were “very clear and very traumatic” and said he saw the reflection of car lights drive away a short time later.
Cheryl and Ian Sturcke, who lived close to Woolcoot Road in June 1996, both described hearing a scream that stopped “mid-scream”. Mrs Sturcke described the sound as “bloodcurdling”.
DAY 15: BODY FOUND
Karen Mabbott told how she was driving home along Stirling Highway when she saw a young woman exactly matching Ms Glennon’s description walking along the footpath near Christ Church Grammar School about 12.15am on March 15, 1997.
A few minutes later she noticed a tall man with dark hair standing behind a light-coloured car on Dean Street.
“He was just standing there staring out at the roadway,” she said.
The court was told how Ms Mabbott came forward to police after a re-enactment of Ms Glennon’s disappearance was staged to try to elicit information.
The trial also heard from Neil Fearis, who was a senior partner at Blake Dawson Waldron. He had driven Ms Glennon and other junior colleagues to the Continental Hotel because he lived nearby.
“They were boisterous but not inebriated,” he said.
University friend James Connor estimated Ms Glennon was at the venue for only 10 to 15 minutes.
“She probably had a few drinks, but she was walking and talking fine,” he told the court.
The trial also heard evidence connected to the discovery of Ms Rimmer’s body in Wellard on August 3, 1996.
The caretaker of Greenacre Riding School, Steven Daventhoren, was out riding with Tracey Bell when they found a Telstra knife on the eastern side of Woolcoot Road.
A short time later they met a woman who said a body had been found.
“I took about two or three steps into the bushes and saw exposed parts of a human body,” he said. “The body was naked.”
DAY 16: ‘NEXT GIRL TO GO’
Eleven different sightings of Ms Glennon after she left the Continental Hotel were detailed to the court over the day.
Lisa Mighall recalled driving past a white vehicle “similar to a Commodore” parked outside the Claremont Baptist Church.
“I saw a female person ... she had a slim build and was wearing a black jacket. The female was on the footpath and was bent over as though she was getting into the car,” she said.
“I remember looking at the clock in our car and it was around midnight.”
Around the same time, Susan Robinson was driving home when she saw a similar scenario.
“There was a male driver. I’m certain that he had light brown or brownish hair ... (in his) 20s maybe early 30s. I could see him talking to someone, the lady ... I turned back (and saw) just her talking to the gentleman in the car.”
Days later, she was asked by police to produce a sketch of the driver she saw. It showed a man with short hair, a square jaw and a flat nose, and was shown to the court.
Phetchara Mombao, who worked at the nearby Taste of Thai restaurant at the time, got a lift home with her boss that night.
“We slowly turned into Stirling Highway ... (My colleague) pointed out there was a girl standing out the front of the computer store.”
“(She said) ‘Phet-phet look at that girl ... She might be the next girl to go’,” Ms Mombao recalled.
When she saw a photo of Ms Glennon afterwards, she believed it was her. “The girl I saw looked exactly like her,” she said.
DAY 17: GRIM DISCOVERIES
Evidence focused on the grim yet vital discoveries of the remains of Ms Rimmer and Ms Glennon, in remote scrub on opposite sides of Perth — Wellard, 37km south and Eglinton, 44km north.
Tammy Van Raalte-Evans told how on August 3, 1996, her family had been visiting their 4ha property in Wellard when a rooster running across the road prompted them to stop on Woolcoot Road about 2pm.
As her children chased the chook down the gravel road, she noticed a crop of death lilies along the fringe. She picked a couple before she spotted “the biggest death lily I’ve ever seen.”
She ducked through some bushes into a little clearing. “And then I felt (something) on the back of my leg, I thought it was a stick and then I looked down and I saw a foot,” she recalled though tears.
Ms Van Raalte-Evans stayed with the body, while her husband went to phone police.
Jason Atkinson told the court he was out looking for cannabis on Pipidinny Road in Eglinton on April 3, 1997, when he became drawn to a horrible smell.
“I’m nosy by nature so ... I had a look,” Mr Atkinson said. “I’d say (I was) two foot (from the body) ... I backed off and got in my car and went to my partner’s work to call the police.”
As he walked out of court, Mr Atkinson shook the hand of Ms Glennon’s father Denis.

A couple of CSK dedicated pages I missed in the last The Weekend West in the "Agenda" Section p122-123
by Tim Clarke, titled
Three tiny moments capture the heartbreak
and
WHAT WE NOW KNOW

p122

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 9.57.39 pm.png

The West Australian has just released a new CSK podcast

Claremont serial killings trial podcast: ‘How the killings changed Claremont’
Kate Ryan
The West Australian
Sunday, 29 December 2019 4:58PM

Before it was known as the hunting ground for one of WA’s worst serial killers, Claremont was the go-to destination for young people wanting to be seen.
Every weekend the pubs and clubs were packed.
Some of WA’s wealthiest called Claremont home.
And it was safe.
But a rape, followed by three murders, changed that. All of the victims were out in this affluent suburb, on their own.
Within the space of nine months, Claremont would never be the same.
Women stayed in packs and men worried they’d be suspected of these horrible crimes.
While Northbridge, another entertainment district of Perth became popular instead.
Even some 20 years later, before an arrest, “The Claremont Serial Killer” was someone generations of West Australians grew up fearing. The killer could still be out there.
Veteran journalist Alison Fan raised her kids in Claremont, covered this case extensively and even helped search for Sarah Spiers, Jane Rimmer then Ciara Glennon. She grieved with both the Rimmers and Glennons when sadly, their daughters were found murdered.
Alison even interviewed the man police tailed for years as their prime suspect.
Claremont In Conversation host Natalie Bonjolo was in her 20s and going to the same pubs and clubs where the girls disappeared from.
Never letting her friends go home alone, wanting to stay in a pack, she tells of the fear bubble which surrounded Claremont that didn’t exist anywhere else.
In this bonus episode, join Natalie, Alison and Criminal defence lawyer Damien Cripps as they tell their stories of being around Claremont at the time of these crimes, and how it changed a suburb and a State forever.

Court takes unprecedented step to prevent public seeing the crime scenes of Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon

Images and video of the crime scenes where murder victims Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon were found have been deemed too distressing for the public or media to view.
In an unprecedented step, the trial of Bradley Edwards has been delayed on Monday morning to allow prosecutors to erect a screen behind the bar table to prevent others seeing the images.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"There was a sharp poignancy to the sight of the blue plush teddy bear sitting on top of the pillows of the neatly-made double bed.
The Marilyn Monroe and Elvis pictures on the unpainted brick walls of the modest one-bedroom flat in Cambridge Street, in the western Perth suburb of Wembley."

New article today focussed on Rimmers flat and Glennons home.
New pics of Jane...

More police are expected to testify in the Claremont serial killings trial this week, as well as a doctor who examined another teenager whom the accused murderer admits raping twice.

Ciara Glennon suffered a blow to the back of her head that may have "momentarily stunned" her or rendered her semi-conscious before she was murdered, the Claremont serial killings trial has heard.

Dr Margolius, who died in 2010, said in her statements and reports that Ms Glennon had a depressed fracture at the back of her skull.

"The defect is more likely to be a sharp force injury, but I cannot exclude that it is a blunt force injury," she said.

"This defect may have caused obtunding - a blunting of the senses - momentarily stunning her or rendering her semi-conscious."

Ms Glennon's other injuries included a 21cm cut to her neck, a wound to her right forearm and two torn fingernails.

"The cause of death was consistent with neck injury," Dr Margolius said.

Ms Rimmer's naked and decomposing body was found in Wellard bushland in August 1996, almost two months after she disappeared from the same entertainment strip.

"Several items from the throat structure were missing and these include the hyoid and thyroid bones," Dr Margolius said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back