Clarkson wants an end to the bye after Hawthorn missed on 4 peat ... seriously?

Remove this Banner Ad

Odds heavily stacked against you without the break. It refreshes form and disadvantages the top 4. The bottom 4 teams shouldn't get a rest.

The Dogs smashed the Eagles, it's not like it was a thriller and all of the top 4 made it through to the last 4 this year. 2016 was an outlier in a team coming from 7th to the grand final, it was also an outlier in the team who were 7th having won 15 games.

The Dogs smashed the Eagles, it's not like it was a thriller and all of the top 4 made it through to the last 4 this year. 2016 was an outlier in a team coming from 7th to the grand final, it was also an outlier in the team who were 7th having won 15 games.

Umm because of the bye rd.

Umm because of the bye rd.

Ummmm, the Eagles lost by 8 goals because of a week off that they also had? I thought the bye was terrible for the top 4, but it's also unfair to 5th?

How did the bye influence the 2017 premiership?

How come Geelong went just as poorly in the 2017 prelim as 2016 despite not having 2 byes in 3 weeks? It's an incredibly weak excuse.

Fact is if it wasn't there 2016/17 would have different premiers.

Odds heavily stacked against you without the break. It refreshes form and disadvantages the top 4. The bottom 4 teams shouldn't get a rest.
You do realise that Richmond, who are the 2017 premiers, finished top 4 in 2017, right?

I personally like the idea of all teams going into the finals refreshed. It helps the clubs put out the best team possible for finals. I'm not sure of the theory of teams losing form of winning the first week and going to the Prelim. Both Richmond and Adelaide both won the first final and smashed GWS and Geelong respectively.

\

I agree with Clarko, 2016 bye, mangled Hawthorns progress, one kick and we beat Geelong, and the week off messed the program, its never easy but we nearly got there , and I 'd have to think that the giant "IF we were still rolling" without a break we could have taken out Geelong pretty easily, my gut tells me that next week we kill Sydney , like we always did, next week beat who ever & in the GF, Footscray especially , a repeat of 1961.

But that's history, it didn't happen, but it could have , and the AFL as per usual pissed around with the fixtures like they've pissed around with the rules to the point that we are getting to not recognise some of the stuff going on, or rule interpretations.

So here we go again... 2018, and a chance for Hawthorn to again lead the way with innovational ideas by Clarkson and co in an ever changing AFL system , where change is made , just for something to do.

Not for something smart, just confusion and irrelavant rulings, on things that are really just plainly over adjudicated
we all know it, but we put up with the stupid AFL control freaks.

Too many cooks in the AFL administration getting something for nothing. Lets hope they turn the game back into football, like we see ONLY in the finals.

And anyone who doesn't see that, doesn't follow football all year round.!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should get rid of it as it kills momentum and it can disadvantage the top 4 and help the 5th-8th sides more.

If there must be two byes in a season then have it after round 8 and round 16.

Agreed.

We really need to reward finsihign top four or we'll have teams that once they are guaranteed of finals, considering resting players in the lead up to the finals.

08c16b422b3ab09f54a88ae02bba2e48

"We believe football clubs who aren't Hawthorn may be the reason Hawthorn isn't winning every flag every year for forever. Ban them. Because they're just not the Hawthorn way."

\

I agree with Clarko, 2016 bye, mangled Hawthorns progress, one kick and we beat Geelong, and the week off messed the program, its never easy but we nearly got there , and I 'd have to think that the giant "IF we were still rolling" without a break we could have taken out Geelong pretty easily, my gut tells me that next week we kill Sydney , like we always did, next week beat who ever & in the GF, Footscray especially , a repeat of 1961.

But that's history, it didn't happen, but it could have , and the AFL as per usual pissed around with the fixtures like they've pissed around with the rules to the point that we are getting to not recognise some of the stuff going on, or rule interpretations.

So here we go again... 2018, and a chance for Hawthorn to again lead the way with innovational ideas by Clarkson and co in an ever changing AFL system , where change is made , just for something to do.

Not for something smart, just confusion and irrelavant rulings, on things that are really just plainly over adjudicated
we all know it, but we put up with the stupid AFL control freaks.

Too many cooks in the AFL administration getting something for nothing. Lets hope they turn the game back into football, like we see ONLY in the finals.

And anyone who doesn't see that, doesn't follow football all year round.!

That's a reason to do it right there!! Stop Hawthorn at ALL costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no evidence the 2 are related.

Fact is if the bye wasn't there Geelong and Adelaide would've maintained their season form if it wasn't interrupted.

Geelong played a competitive prelim in 2013. Then 2 disgustingly uncompetitive prelims with single scoring halfs during the bye seasons.

The bye resets momentum for all sides that make finals. Richmond received their flag directly due to the bye disadvantaging more skilled less hungry sides ala Geelong/Adelaide.

If in 2011 Geelong and Collingwood played 2 games in a month Collingwood fans would argue they'd have it won. Flags were won by the dominant side of the season carrying that form until the end. An advantage. Not an entirely new season with 8 teams. Qualify and win 3/4 games etc. A flag used to represent much much more!

Fact is if the bye wasn't there Geelong and Adelaide would've maintained their season form if it wasn't interrupted.
The bye didn't seem to affect Richmonds form. If anything Geelong would have benefited from the bye more than Richmond. They had more players sore or had more niggling injuries going into the finals than Richmond. For a memory one of their stars wouldn't have played if it wasn't for the bye.

Adelaide won against both GWS and Geelong very convincingly. They lost their form in GF simply because of the relentless pressure Richmond put on them. It is a massive stretch to say Adelaide lost form because of the bye when Richmond effectively went the same path as them during the finals (winning the qualifying and preliminary finals comfortably).

The theory is that the teams who lose the qualifying finals are better off than those who win them due to getting two byes. This is due to the theory of the winning team losing match fitness. If this was true then that would have mean that GWS and Geelong would have been playing in the GF.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back