Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing I don’t get though is someone hired Haley and gave him complete autonomy over the offence to the point that Jackson hardly had virtually no input. You then sack that same guy 8 weeks in.

Was Hue, who was hanging on by his fingernails solely responsible for Haley’s hiring? I mean you know you were going to draft a QB at pick 1 so this hire is super important. Dorsey surely would have interviewed Haley in depth and asked what type of offence he’d employ, in which of course he must have had some idea.

It’s just complete nuts!

.....(drumming fingers on desk).....

.......(why hasn't American Crow posted yet ?)......

.....(still drumming fingers)......

:)

Tired of being right all the time?

that would be my guess mate ;)

Hue Jackson admits he went behind John Dorsey’s back to take back the offense
Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2018, 7:35 AM EDT

gettyimages-1052138590-e1541158416824.jpg

Getty Images

Last year, former Browns coach Hue Jackson won a power struggle with former V.P. of football operations Sashi Brown, presumably by appealing directly to owner Jimmy Haslam. This year, Jackson tried to win a power struggle with G.M. John Dorsey, definitely by appealing directly to Haslam.

In an post-termination interview with Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com, Jackson admitted that he went to Haslam to try to take back control of the offense from now-former offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Asked whether Jackson took his case for taking back the offense to ownership, Jackson said this: “I had a very candid conversation with Jimmy Haslam as I’ve known Jimmy longer than I’ve know John, and I think Jimmy knows what I’ve expressed and how I felt and how I would have liked to have gone out.”

Regardless of how long Jackson has known Jimmy vs. John, cutting John out of the process when it comes to reversing the decision to insert an offensive coordinator in 2018 — a decision that had John’s fingerprints all over it — was destined to be perceived as an attempt to undermine the G.M. With a 3-36-1 record in two-plus seasons, Jackson simply didn’t have the juice to win a power struggle with Dorsey, who has received nothing but praise for what he has done so far in Cleveland.

Regardless, it’s clear that Jackson believed he could have done better with the offense than Haley had been doing.

“You look at our numbers with me calling the offense with less talent,” Jackson said. “Our numbers this year were the same or worse than our numbers last year with better players on offense. So it was already tough for me to give up play calling when I knew more talent was on the way with John Dorsey on board. Of course I wanted to remind everybody what a Hue Jackson-led offense looks like, but I felt they wanted me to focus on coaching the whole team and let someone else call the plays.”

Although Jackson insisted that he hired Haley, Jackson acknowledged that the hiring of a coordinator came at the suggestion of Dorsey. Which possibly went something like this: “Well, Hue, either you’ll be hiring an offensive coordinator, or I’ll be hiring a coach.”

Now, Dorsey will be hiring a coach. Hue’s comments in the aftermath of his firing serve only to underscore the reality that Dorsey should have been hiring a coach 10 months ago.

Browns OC Freddie Kitchens is expected to use more spread packages with Baker Mayfield.

The Browns fired Hue Jackson and ex-OC Todd Haley for not building their offense to Mayfield's strengths. Cleveland plans to incorporate some of the Air Raid schemes Mayfield ran at Oklahoma with their move to Kitchens, who comes from the passy-heavy Bruce Arians tree. Mayfield's ROS outlook is slightly up after the Browns' coaching shuffle. There's high-scoring potential in Mayfield's Week 9 matchup with the Chiefs.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport named Patriots OC Josh McDaniels as a potential candidate for the Browns' head-coaching vacancy.

McDaniels is one of several candidates the Browns are considering. Per Rapoport, the Browns could also pursue Baker Mayfield's college coach Lincoln Riley (Rapsheet believes Riley will draw interest from multiple teams) as well as current Packers coach Mike McCarthy and Vikings OC John DeFilippo, who once served as Cleveland's offensive coordinator. Despite leaving Indianapolis at the altar last offseason, McDaniels reportedly remains "open to head-coaching opportunities." Until the Browns find a permanent solution, day-to-day coaching responsibilities will fall in the hands of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.
Related: Browns

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

It's not too late to make him available for the Raiders job too....

Ex-Cardinals coach Bruce Arians says he would be open to the Browns' job.

Source: Canton Repository
Ex-Cardinals coach Bruce Arians says he would be open to the Browns' job.

"Cleveland is the only job I would consider," Arians told the Canton Repository. 66-year-old Arians coordinated the Browns' offense from 2001-03. The obvious appeal in Cleveland would be Baker Mayfield. Arians got to coach Andrew Luck for one year in Indianapolis but had to make do with an aging Carson Palmer in Arizona. Arians and Mayfield would be an exciting fit together.
Related: Browns

Source: Canton Repository

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who do we all want as next Browns head coach?

i like what i hear about Matt Campbell from Iowa as long as he can can some experienced staff! would love him teamed with Dave Toub as assistant HC/special teams

Only started following the NFL reasonably closely this year, Cleveland allegiance continues with the Browns. Good win today.

Can't seem to get any gear on the online store though? Doesn't ship to Aus?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back