Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't mean anything, for every great new young HC there will have been many more s**t ones that crash and burn that people tend to forget about.

That's why id personally go with a guy who has had proven success with QB's in the NFL, old and young. And despite being old, is an innovative play caller himself.
That's certainly the risk there. Picking the wrong young guy. But if they can identify the right one and snag him, then that's preferable.

Not to mention how passionate he is about wanting to coach Cleveland. You don't often get coaching candidates going all this "IN" stating they are the team for me.

Obviously you didn’t then. Bengals had nowhere near as good a D.

He won one divisional playoff game with Arizona, then threw four ints following week in Champ game. Big deal!

So he didn't go anywhere in the playoffs and wasn't an MVP candidate. Thanks for answering my question.

Not to mention how passionate he is about wanting to coach Cleveland. You don't often get coaching candidates going all this "IN" stating they are the team for me.
Arians needs to calm the fck down and let the GM/staff do their jobs. Can't be bullying and posturing and positioning himself into jobs just because he's putting his hand up. Shut the fck up and get in the cue.

So he didn't go anywhere in the playoffs and wasn't an MVP candidate. Thanks for answering my question.

So you’re basing it on one playoff win when he had a far superior defence?! You’re taking the piss mate

So you’re basing it on one playoff win when he had a far superior defence?! You’re taking the piss mate

The same season he was an MVP candidate you mean, finishing runner up.

Arians needs to calm the fck down and let the GM/staff do their jobs. Can't be bullying and posturing and positioning himself into jobs just because he's putting his hand up. Shut the fck up and get in the cue.

What's wrong with being keen? Better than a coach being all ho-hum about it and doing it purely for the money isn't it?

What's wrong with being keen? Better than a coach being all ho-hum about it and doing it purely for the money isn't it?
This is like Davis hiring Gruden. It's the same kind of nepotism or similar. Fine for Arians to say I'd be interested in coaching the Browns. But not for him to qualify that with but only the Browns, no one else. You have to honor the process. Do things the RIGHT way. Including going thru the Rooney Rule in case you do identify a young non-white candidate that blows your mind away. A job interview, that's all it is. If you go in with blinders on narrowing to just one candidate because he postured and/or because you MIGHT have some former connection with him, then you're asking for trouble.

This is like Davis hiring Gruden. It's the same kind of nepotism or similar. Fine for Arians to say I'd be interested in coaching the Browns. But not for him to qualify that with but only the Browns, no one else. You have to honor the process. Do things the RIGHT way. Including going thru the Rooney Rule in case you do identify a young non-white candidate that blows your mind away. A job interview, that's all it is. If you go in with blinders on narrowing to just one candidate because he postured and/or because you MIGHT have some former connection with him, then you're asking for trouble.

Im sure Dorsey has been around the league long enough not to put the blinkers on and limit himself to just the one person. Are you really comparing him to Mark Davis? Please GG.

Im sure Dorsey has been around the league long enough not to put the blinkers on and limit himself to just the one person. Are you really comparing him to Mark Davis? Please GG.
GMs do that all the time...hire people they worked with previously, that share a coaching tree, etc. HCs do that all the time signing players familiar with their system or that they coached before. Players do that all the time....follow position/coaches around. It's a thing done. Many of the failed regimes going back in time, have all been because a GM hired a HC he is familiar with. But ironically, there are many examples where a GM/Owner hired a HC they weren't familiar with, and they had a ripe period. Go track that, you'll be surprised.

The same season he was an MVP candidate you mean, finishing runner up.

He got one vote, Cam got 48..big deal!

His second year was as good. In the playoff he completed one pass for 60+ yards before he did his knee. They would have won that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, the Browns have a semi-plausible path to the playoffs
Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2018, 12:08 AM EST
AP_18350176988324-e1544936908710.jpg

AP

The Cleveland Browns are back. And they go could farther than anyone ever would have imagined.

Sure, they’re laying the foundation for a special 2019. But 2018 still has a chance to be special, because the Browns can still win the AFC North.

Seriously. They can. If Cleveland beats the Bengals next week, if the Steelers lose to the Patriots and Saints, and if the Ravens lose to either the Buccaneers tomorrow or the Chargers next Saturday night, the division will be divided on the final Sunday of the season.

And here’s how it would go: If the Steelers beat the Bengals, the Steelers win the division. If the Steelers lose to the Bengals, the winner of Browns at Ravens wins the AFC North.

The odds remain against the Browns. But for the Browns to even have a semi-plausible chance to get to the playoffs at this point is nothing short of amazing.

If they fail to make it, there will be plenty of regret over some close calls and near misses in the first few weeks of the season. The tie against Pittsburgh. The missed-kick-induced loss to the Saints. The overtime loss to the Raiders. But save the regret for now; the Browns still have a chance to go from winless to winning a division.

Baker Mayfield has no regrets about anything he said about Hue Jackson
Posted by Charean Williams on December 19, 2018, 6:14 PM EST

Baker Mayfield doesn’t regret anything he did or said to or about Hue Jackson after the Browns’ 35-20 victory over the Bengals on Nov. 25.

“No, I said what I said,’’ Mayfield said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “It’s another week. We have to hit the reset button. We have to be able to come in, be able to block out the distractions, block out the outside noise like we have week to week every time this season and be able to do our job.”

Mayfield declined Jackson’s attempted hug after the game, offering a quick handshake instead. The rookie explained he was mad that Jackson defected to a division rival so soon after his firing and later called Jackson “fake” in an Instagram debate with ESPN’s Damien Woody.

But Mayfield intimated Wednesday he has had contact with Jackson since his comments. After being asked whether he or Jackson has reached out, Mayfield said “no comment.”

Jackson has declined multiple requests in Cincinnati this week, Paul Dehner Jr. of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports, and Bengals coach Marvin Lewis wouldn’t talk about Jackson during a conference call with Browns beat reporters Wednesday.

The Browns have seen Jackson since his departure, with Mayfield and Damarious Randall making news for the greetings they offered their former head coach while in Cincinnati. But on Sunday, Jackson returns to Cleveland on the opposing sideline.

It remains to be seen how Browns fans will greet Jackson, but your guess probably is a good one.

“Obviously, people are entitled to their own opinion,’’ Mayfield said. “I’ve said that, but we’ll see. I’m not going to take any guesses, but like I said, you have to block out the noise. You have to block out distractions. You have to be able to do your job. That’s something we’re going to do regardless, is focus on doing our job.”

Baker Mayfield has no regrets about anything he said about Hue Jackson
Posted by Charean Williams on December 19, 2018, 6:14 PM EST

Baker Mayfield doesn’t regret anything he did or said to or about Hue Jackson after the Browns’ 35-20 victory over the Bengals on Nov. 25.

“No, I said what I said,’’ Mayfield said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “It’s another week. We have to hit the reset button. We have to be able to come in, be able to block out the distractions, block out the outside noise like we have week to week every time this season and be able to do our job.”

Mayfield declined Jackson’s attempted hug after the game, offering a quick handshake instead. The rookie explained he was mad that Jackson defected to a division rival so soon after his firing and later called Jackson “fake” in an Instagram debate with ESPN’s Damien Woody.

But Mayfield intimated Wednesday he has had contact with Jackson since his comments. After being asked whether he or Jackson has reached out, Mayfield said “no comment.”

Jackson has declined multiple requests in Cincinnati this week, Paul Dehner Jr. of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports, and Bengals coach Marvin Lewis wouldn’t talk about Jackson during a conference call with Browns beat reporters Wednesday.

The Browns have seen Jackson since his departure, with Mayfield and Damarious Randall making news for the greetings they offered their former head coach while in Cincinnati. But on Sunday, Jackson returns to Cleveland on the opposing sideline.

It remains to be seen how Browns fans will greet Jackson, but your guess probably is a good one.

“Obviously, people are entitled to their own opinion,’’ Mayfield said. “I’ve said that, but we’ll see. I’m not going to take any guesses, but like I said, you have to block out the noise. You have to block out distractions. You have to be able to do your job. That’s something we’re going to do regardless, is focus on doing our job.”
I love Baker. That Randall for Kizer trade was robbery

More former Pilot Flying J executives get jail time for rebate fraud
Posted by Mike Florio on December 20, 2018, 5:43 PM EST
636549787389203920-B01-PILOT-15s-1-e1545345707549.jpg

Getty Images

More than five years after the truck-stop company owned and operated by Browns owner Jimmy Haslam found itself ensnared in a massive federal investigation for fraud against its customers, three more former executives learned their fate on Wednesday.

Former regional sales director Arnold Ralenkotter received 21 months, former regional sales manager Jay Stinnett also received 21 months, and former regional sales manager John Spiewak received 30 months. They admitted to approving contracts that they knew the Pilot Flying J didn’t plan to honor with small trucking companies lacking the sophistication to spot the fraud.

Via Matt Lakin of the Knoxville News Sentinel, U.S. District Judge Curtis Collier imposed the sentences on Wednesday.

“This was probably the biggest fraud case in the history of the trucking industry,” Judge Collier said. “You’re all good people who did something bad. I don’t think there’s a need here to protect the public [from you]. But people need to understand if they give in to temptation and do anything at all like what you did, there’s going to be punishment forthcoming. You’ve learned your lesson, but other people need to learn their lesson also.”

Nineteen former Pilot employees were involved in the scam. Fourteen entered guilty pleas and three were convicted at trial. Two others received immunity in exchange for cooperation.

Former Pilot Flying J president Mark Hazelwood received the longest sentence — 12.5 years. He approved the plan that was devised by John Freeman, who received a 2.5-year sentence.

In the early months of the investigation, prosecutors seemed to be working their way up the ladder, imposing criminal responsibility as high as possible within the organization. But they never accused Haslam, who steadfastly denied knowledge of the scam, of committing any type of wrongdoing.

Likewise, the NFL never investigated Haslam for any violations of the Personal Conduct Policy, which as evidenced by the suspension imposed earlier this year on Seahawks linebacker Mychal Kendricks clearly encompasses white-collar crime.

i guess that's a good headache for a franchise to have.....people lobbying to be the next HC.

-------------------------

Freddie Kitchens wants to be a head coach, in Cleveland or elsewhere
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 21, 2018, 5:28 AM EST

GettyImages-71414831-1-e1545388020619.jpg

Getty Images

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield has looked like a completely different player since coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley were fired, and interim offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens has received a lot of the credit for that. In fact, it has been reported that no matter who gets the head-coaching job on a permanent basis next year, Kitchens will remain the offensive coordinator.

But if Kitchens is so important to the future of the franchise, why shouldn’t he get the head-coaching job? Asked on Thursday if he wants to be a head coach, Kitchens said he does.

Definitely,’’ he said. “No doubt.”

Kitchens, who has never been a head coach and had never been a coordinator until taking over for the fired Haley, bristled at suggestions that he’s not experienced enough.

“I heard the other day somebody say something about I wasn’t ready to be a head coach,’’ Kitchens said. “I mean, who the hell’s ready to be a head coach?’’

Kitchens said he isn’t lobbying for the head-coaching job, but given the way he has turned Mayfield around, and given the importance of Mayfield’s continued development to the future of the franchise, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and G.M. John Dorsey absolutely need to consider hiring Kitchens as head coach. If the Browns don’t, some other team might.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back